Compatible Remote?

torp74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
South Texas
I am looking for a good DISH compatible remote that can perform macros, and etc. The Best Buy guy told me the harmony series was the way to go, but those guys rarely seem to be right. Does anyone have experience in this? I want to control the 622, Samsung Blu-Ray Player, DVD Recorder/VHS combo, A/V Receiver, and XBOX 360. So basically 7 devices, and set it up so the wife can just push one button to light it all off and watch her soaps. Range is not really an issue because we sit only 10' back from the tube. I would appreciate any ideas.

torp

I use the Harmony One and love it. It controls my 622, Samsung Plasma, Onkyo 606, Samsung BD 5000 and a Toshiba HD-A3. The wife loves it also as one tap on the screen and everything to watch tv, blu-ray, etc is turned on and ready to go. It does have a small learning curve (plan on a hour to install the software, updates and programming initially) and can be personalized. The software basically ask you all the questions to program the remote to operate your devices. I've had mine about a month now and still making small adjustments from time to time.

The Best Buy guy told me the harmony series was the way to go, but those guys rarely seem to be right.

Actually, they are right. I would shop for better prices, i.e. Amazon or Newegg.

I have found the Universal branded remotes work most excellent. I have personally set up R6, R7, and RF20 models for myself and my folks and absolutely love them. The R6 layout is vey similar to the Dish Network remotes. They learn, do macros, do punch from/to, and also have an extensive database of preprogrammed codes. Super versatile!

Wal-mart carries R6 and R7's. The RF20 we got at Fry's but I have seen them at BB as well. The R6 cost like only $20! The R7 is probably what you need since you mentioned that you have 7 devices to control. That one cost about $25 at Wally World. We are using the RF20 with the Power Blaster on the system that has the components in another room in a closet. That bundle cost $130. The RFxx models fully work as IR remotes and using RF to the Blaster is not required for IR only usage.

Here's the manufacturer link, all of the remotes here are perfectly good to use on Dish equipment:

Universal Remote Control

Please reply and tell us what you think if you decide to try one. I think you will agree that these are the way to go!

Last edited:

Echostar 4

Spot beams

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)