Complete Signal Loss - Check Switch Says Less Satellites Detected

JB884

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Looking for a little help here. Came home tonight to complete signal loss on my VIP 222 receiver with both tuners. No significant weather issues. I ran check switch and it did 38 tests instead of the usual 4 and then told me that less satellites were detected than with my previous test. All satellites and transponders are showing absolutely no signal.

I have a 1000 plus dish (110,118.7 and 119) hooked through a DPP 33 switch to one VIP 222 dual tuner receiver with a DPP separator. I'm thinking that either the switch or one of the LNBs have gone bad. I'm planning on bypassing the switch and hooking directly from the LNB into tuner 1 of the receiver to see if I can get a signal and verify if the LNB or switch is bad. I would seriously doubt both LNBs have gone bad at exactly the same time, so I'm thinking I should at least be able to get a signal from one of them hooked directly to the receiver. Does this seem logical?

Thanks
JB

Right. You're sure it's a 33 switch and not a 44? Just asking because if it's a 44 the power inserter may have gone bad. And I know some people will disagree with this suggestion, but check the barrel in the wall plate that feeds the 222; if it isn't blue in the center, I'd guess that's where the problem is. If it's white or clear in the center, change it out with one that's blue.

Just so you know, the blue center in the Barrel Connector (F81) signifies it is capable of passing 3Ghz Signals, the clear and white are normally only good for up to 1Ghz.

Using the wrong ones, means a significant drop off of signals above the rated frequency.

I think the issue is much more likely to be a Power Supply/Inserter issue, as ChadT41 suggested.

Ok, checked all cable connections and they all look good, no apparent corrosion. I then hooked directly from each LNB output to the receiver (119, 110 and 118) and full signal was back on each satellite. However, when browsing through the channels on a specific satellite some are still missing. I first get the "Complete Signal Loss" message and then I get "Channel Signal Loss". This happens when connected to any of the 3 LNBs. So I first though it was the switch when bypassing it presented a signal on all 3 satellites, however now I'm not sure what the issue is with only receiving certain channels from each satellite.

Any suggestions?

Another update...after checking the channel/transponder lists, I've determined that I am not getting any Left transponders on either satellite when connected directly from the LNB to the receiver. I find it kind of hard to believe that both LNBs have gone bad at the same time. Not sure what else it could be except the receiver?

Another update...after checking the channel/transponder lists, I've determined that I am not getting any Left transponders on either satellite when connected directly from the LNB to the receiver. I find it kind of hard to believe that both LNBs have gone bad at the same time. Not sure what else it could be except the receiver?

Well you never said you checked or had a wall plate in the line..and are you 100% sure you followed the whole main line back to the dish and checked every single connection and that the cable is rated properly?

Edit: Also bypass the triplexor or seperator you have at the back of the receiver and plug line directly into tuner 1 and tuner 2 doing a check switch each time to rule that out or to see if its just a tuner failing.

The lnb's stack the frequencies. So, the reason you are not seeing anything on left is that both polarities are stacked on the right side. I'm guessing your switch is shot since you get a solid signal on each lnb.

Well you never said you checked or had a wall plate in the line..and are you 100% sure you followed the whole main line back to the dish and checked every single connection and that the cable is rated properly?

Edit: Also bypass the triplexor or seperator you have at the back of the receiver and plug line directly into tuner 1 and tuner 2 doing a check switch each time to rule that out or to see if its just a tuner failing.

There is no wall plate in the line. The cable comes directly into the house through a conduit with other cables. I did check all connections back to the dish at all LNBs and they looked fine. Cable was rated properly at time of installation 3 years ago, so I don't think all of a sudden it is no longer rated properly. The system has worked fine for over 3 years with no issues until yesterday.

I have bypassed the DPP separator at the back of the receiver and plugged into tuner 1 and tuner 2 and get the same results.

The lnb's stack the frequencies. So, the reason you are not seeing anything on left is that both polarities are stacked on the right side. I'm guessing your switch is shot since you get a solid signal on each lnb.

Yes, but if I go directly from the LNB to the input of the tuner shouldn't I be able to see all the transponders and have a signal? I have bypassed the switch. All the Left transponders show no signal while all the right transponders are good.

Press menu, 6,1,3 while you have the lnb connected to your receiver.. Let it run thru the test, and then click on details on the bottom. See if there's anything that says lnb drift detected

Yes, but if I go directly from the LNB to the input of the tuner shouldn't I be able to see all the transponders and have a signal? I have bypassed the switch. All the Left transponders show no signal while all the right transponders are good.

Again: Unless you are using legacy lnbs, the lnb stacks all 32 transponder frequencies. The old legacy lnbs used variable voltage to switch between the two polarities. But there is no right or left when using one of the newer stacking lnbs which stack frequencies. they produce a single data stream that covers all 32 transponders and do not use a switching voltage. If one of the lnb's is defective, it could create what you are seeing. But, if they all are showing the same thing, it's probably your switch.

If it's a short run it could also need a (correct me if I'm wrong on the specific part) antennuator. The signal could be to strong. But I agree that the LNB might be shot too.

Have a tech come out and test the line for DB's... if they are showing normal and the LNB checks out on their meter then it is likely the Receiver has tanked.

Have a tech come out and test the line for DB's... if they are showing normal and the LNB checks out on their meter then it is likely the Receiver has tanked.
Have the tech bring another 222 if you are losing half the transponders on each satellite when bypassing the switch the receiver is at fault.

Again: Unless you are using legacy lnbs, the lnb stacks all 32 transponder frequencies. The old legacy lnbs used variable voltage to switch between the two polarities. But there is no right or left when using one of the newer stacking lnbs which stack frequencies. they produce a single data stream that covers all 32 transponders and do not use a switching voltage. If one of the lnb's is defective, it could create what you are seeing. But, if they all are showing the same thing, it's probably your switch.

I understand that the frequencies are stacked, but that doesn't explain why half of the transponders show no signal. As I have said, I am bypassing the switch and I am getting half of the transponders, so the switch is not even part of the equation. If I do go through the switch I do not get any signal at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts