Composite Out on HD Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

biz56

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 8, 2009
North Carolina
I want to hook up an HD receiver to a HDTV using HDMI and then use composite out to mirror on several SDTVs. Will the picture on the SDTVs be full screen or letterbox?

Thanks.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
If it's an HD program you will have small black bars on both sides of the picture. No problem for me.

Actually, if it is an hd picture, you will have bars on the top and bottom of an sd display.

Bob Nielsen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 22, 2006
Bainbridge Island, WA
It depends on whether you have the display setting set to 16:9 or 4:3 (it will be the same on all outputs). If you have it set to 16:9 for your HD display, it will appear to be vertically stretched on a SD set (unless the TV can correct for it).

biz56

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Mar 8, 2009
North Carolina
I plan to have the HD receiver set for a 16:9 display. Would the resulting vertical stetch on a SD set make for bad viewing? If so, I need to think about adding a SD receiver to my order and paying the $5 month extra.

Or would changing the HD receiver display to 4:3 totally address this stretching situation on SD sets?

Thanks.

HDinCincy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 15, 2007
Cincinnati, USA
I plan to have the HD receiver set for a 16:9 display. Would the resulting vertical stetch on a SD set make for bad viewing? If so, I need to think about adding a SD receiver to my order and paying the $5 month extra.

Or would changing the HD receiver display to 4:3 totally address this stretching situation on SD sets?

Thanks.

I do this, sending a mirror signal to our exercise room. You will have a squished image vertically. It's not unwatchable, but everyone looks thinner (not a bad thing for home videos) and the graphics can sometimes be a little hard to read. In my experience if you have the receiver set to native or 16:9 it will have the bars on the sides. HTH:cool:

slimoli

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2003
I have a HR22 linked to a HD TV and use the composites to send the signal to a SD TV ( 4X3) in the kitchen. When using the HD upconversion on the HR22 , the 4X3 TV has side bars when tuned to SD channels. I now use the native resolution on the HR22 and everything works perfectly: SD or HD work as they should on both TVs. Just leave "NATIVE ON" on the HR22 and everything should be fine.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
I watch all of the news and sports talk shows on an old CRT and they're always on the sides. What TV are yoiu watching them on?

An hd picture on an sd screen has bars on the top and bottom.

Bob Nielsen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 22, 2006
Bainbridge Island, WA
If the DVR's display setting is 16:9, HD programming will fill the screen (if the station has a SD program, they will add the bars on the side). For SD channels, you can use the format key to choose between pillarbox, cropped, stretched or original format. This is the case no matter what type of TV you are using. Feeding this signal to a 4:3 TV will compress the image in the horizontal plane, of course. The stretched setting will compensate for this, causing SD stations to have their original aspect ratio when viewed on a 4:3 TV.

slimoli

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2003
Most " SD only 4X3 TV" don't have any stretch setting. Using the NATIVE ON on the HD receiver will display SD material the way it should on both 4X3 and HD 16X9 TV. Obviously on the HD TV the SD will have side bars, as it should. I never have to change any setting on the SD or HD TV using NATIVE ON. It does not compress SD material on the 4X3 and picture looks fine. HD material on the 4X3 TV will be a bit squeezed with no bars.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)