Computer-based Satellite Controller

Simba7

Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Is there a way to build a computer-based Satellite Controller/Receiver?

I was googling the hell out of this question and couldn't find a decent answer. I was given a "Big Dish" and I'd love to utilize this in every way possible.

Also, is it possible to control the X and Y axis of a dish this big?

Last edited:
Is there a way to build a computer-based Satellite Controller/Receiver?
If you are from North America and want to decode commercial programming from Dish/DirecTV - the answer is no. Whatever can be done to make it work is illegal.
If you are talking programming left open intentionally or by accident - that is doable. I've seen it work but haven't done myself.

Diogen.

It's odd that I havent even considered that project...........or any of the other C band 'Mad Scientist' we have on the board.......:rolleyes:
A PC controlled Bud actuator sounds like a noble venture, but first let's dispense with the receiver part.
There are DVB-S (and -S2) PCI cards that works as a DVB STB + PVR function in your PC, depending on the software. With the proper dish/lnb they are capable of receiving all C and Ku band FTA DVB signals. There are also outboard (USB connected) versions. Check the DVB card section for more details.
To the PC based C band dish position controller....hmmmm
(Note to Cadsulfide, this sounds like a job for a PIC!)
The only axis needing control is the azmuith (E <---> W) position. Once properly aligned, the inclination/declination position (elevation at any given point in the arc) is handled mechanically by the dish mounting assy geometry as it moves thru the arc.
My favorite C band dish reference site -
http://www.geo-orbit.org/sizepgs/tuningp4.html
The positioner arm, aka 'jack', uses a 36vdc motor and feedback pulse generator (reed switch/magnet) that creates counts as the motor rotates, moving the arm in or out, thus moving the dish thru the arc.

So we need a 36vdc source, 24v is probably acceptable. Even 12v would drive the motor, but mean the timeout to fault value (acceptable time between pulses) would be fairly high.

Two DO (buffered serial or parallel port pins) controlled DPDT relays to flip the polarity for the desired direction

One DI (buffered serial or parallel port pin) to receive the pulses

SW written to drive the outputs, keep track of pulses, position (+/- count totalizer), a means to 'store' and recall on demand positions in memory, and set abosolute E/W limits. The SW would also have to 'fault' and stop the actuator output if it did not receive any feedback pulse within N time of actuation.

Although not essential, a means of remote control would be a value added feature. LIRC or Girder should fill that requirement.

The interface HW should be in any self respecting electronic hobbyist junk box. The SW could probably be whipped up by someone proficient in VB or C++, but unless you are just wanting to "play", the practical soultion is to obtain an old analog C band rx (with remote!) or spring for a G-Box or equivalant from one of the sponsors. (I got mine from Sadoun).
At times old C band receivers can be had for "make offer" plus a bit over a somewhat inflated shipping cost via Fleabay. You just have to keep your eyes open. Your local Craigslist may be of some help as well.
Whatever you do, if the dish came from anywhere near (within 25-50 mi) of where you intend to use it DO NOT mess with the elevation adjustments until you have read or discussed what a dish alignment consists of and what you MAY need to do to get it aligned.
Welcome! Hope to see you participating in the C band portion of the hobby real soon!;)

Attachments

• adjarcsr.gif
    adjarcsr.gif
    19.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)