Conduit

First, no 90s. Two 45s, maybe 3 30s, much better. Glad you have no sharp curves.

Frankly, from experience, I'd NEVER run 3 coax in a 1.25". 1.5" minimum. Actually, if there is ANY CHANCE of ever putting a WAP or other network device at the outer end, I'd run a CAT 6 with it. Future proofing at little cost.

Most of all: Talcum powder, lots of it.

That's a good link. I'll keep that. I have this linked http://www.homedepot.com/p/Advanced...Pipe-125100100/202282492?N=5yc1vZbuymZ1z0yjll, but I'll keep the one you listed too. You have much more of a system than I will with all that cable. If you can get all that in 1.5", I know I can get 3 cables into 1.25"

I'll probably add the extra pull rope too. As for soaping, I read that earlier in this thread. Never thought of it. I had been thinking about vaseline...just putting it on your hand and let the cables slid through your hand while they go into the conduit. Being oil based, that shouldn't hurt the conduit or the cable should it?

How can you have Vasoline on your hand to slide coax across, IF you are at the opposite end of the pipe, pulling the coax through? I lay out my coax full-length from the point where I have it go into the entrance of the coil pipe, then drip a bit of dishwashing soap on the whole thing right from the soap container. Then I just go into my crawlspace, and pull on the pull rope (wear gloves), and drag the coax and new pull rope through the whole length. Works great, and you don't need every inch of coax covered with soap anyway. It'll eventually dry up, or biodegrade. Vasoline won't, as it's petroleum oil.

First, no 90s. Two 45s, maybe 3 30s, much better. Glad you have no sharp curves.

Frankly, from experience, I'd NEVER run 3 coax in a 1.25". 1.5" minimum. Actually, if there is ANY CHANCE of ever putting a WAP or other network device at the outer end, I'd run a CAT 6 with it. Future proofing at little cost.

Most of all: Talcum powder, lots of it.

I'll look further at 1.5" although that 1.25" is quite inexpensive. There will never be any network device at the outer end.

Talcum powder for getting the cable through conduit? Hadn't read about that.

How can you have Vasoline on your hand to slide coax across, IF you are at the opposite end of the pipe, pulling the coax through? I lay out my coax full-length from the point where I have it go into the entrance of the coil pipe, then drip a bit of dishwashing soap on the whole thing right from the soap container. Then I just go into my crawlspace, and pull on the pull rope (wear gloves), and drag the coax and new pull rope through the whole length. Works great, and you don't need every inch of coax covered with soap anyway. It'll eventually dry up, or biodegrade. Vasoline won't, as it's petroleum oil.

I see what you are saying and I like the idea of dishwashing soap. In fact, I may use it or something else that will go away. Regardless of what I use. I was thinking me on one end and the installer on the other. Whoever is feeding the cable in uses whatever to apply as it goes in. I'm not going to do the install by myself.

A few weeks back, I pulled a THICK 50 amp 8 gauge generator cable through 75' of buried 1.5 inch pvc, (not coil pipe, as this carries high current 220volts) using dish soap. 2 elbows, and did the whole thing myself from inside my house crawlspace. That's because my wife took off on me, and I had no choice but to get it done alone as it was getting ready to rain. I snaked a Fish-Tape through the whole thing, taped the wire to the end of it in the generator shed, laid out the generator cable full length across my yard (as if the pipe was 150' long), started the cable into the pvc pipe, and drizzled dish soap along the cable, it stays on it very well with minimal dripping. I then went into the crawlspace, and pulled it through. It went so easy, I couldn't believe it!. I didn't want to have to get in and out of that crawlspace multiple times. Once I got done, it was celebration time, and I drank a Coke, lol.

So, dishwashing soap does great, and my wife bought it with her money, so no cost to me! lol

Pulling coax is even easier.

Reactions: navychop
She doesn't sound like a keeper.

She puts up with my satellite hobby, and MY dishes are all in the front yard! Not sure why she was giving me issues that day, she just didn't want to help. I got it done anyway.

Saturday is our 34th wedding anniversary. Once you are past 10 years, it's "cheaper to keep her" anyway, lol.

26 and counting, here. Don't think life would be worth living without her. She's off on a 16 day cruise with her momma. We haven't been that long apart since 1991. Only brief hospital stays or weekend trips. Not comfortable. Got a lot to do around the house and it's amazing how slower things go with only one doing the work!

26 and counting, here. Don't think life would be worth living without her. She's off on a 16 day cruise with her momma. We haven't been that long apart since 1991. Only brief hospital stays or weekend trips. Not comfortable. Got a lot to do around the house and it's amazing how slower things go with only one doing the work!

See, if we did that, she'd come home to a couple more dishes installed. Then I'd convince her they were always there, and she just never noticed them! lol

Reactions: navychop
I am relocating a dish to get HD channels for my area and get away from trees/shrubs that are beginning to block it in its current location. I will be making a run for satellite cable underground which will go under a sidewalk. It is a little over 100 feet. I will be getting 2 HwS and understand that I will have double RG6 plus single cable or possibly 3 single RG6 cables. I understand a ground wire will be run with the cables.

I want to run conduit and will use flexible tube. Can anyone tell me what size inner diameter tube I should get. I've made some measurements of RG cable I have and read some old threads here, but would like to make sure.

Also, will DISH give me underground RG6 even with a conduit or should I request it if they do not?
The tech will run the required cabling per the work order. Any additional cable you desire will be paid for by you.
Now, I recommend at least one if not TWO additional runs. This will safeguard against any failure of the cable. Conduit is also recommended under the sidewalk. A note..Most techs are not equipped to dig under hard surface pavement or concrete. Most likely, you'll have to do that yourself. He will dig the trench the rest of the way.
For 4 cables, I suggest one inch ID conduit. Smurf tube is fine. A note. If you decide to run conduit the entire distance, that's fine but since direct bury flooded cable is the standard, it is not necessary. Under the sidewalk, yes.

This is a walk in the park for anyone who has ever been an electrician all there life....Soaping (or as we called it snotting) the crap out of it helps....Adding water helps for the long haul as dish soap drys.....Any home improvement store has yellow wire lub...The biggest problem with coax is its insolation...So you even put a pull string chances are you will burn into it if its a long run...and if you use PVC pipe you burn or run into the inside of any elbow(90)...I believe coax is considered CL-2 wiring...and as NEC you never can have more that 360 degrees of bend....And if you have the string, take a plastic bag, tie the string to it and suck the mouse through the pipe with a shop vac....I personally think the string or rope is a complete waste with coax insolation for later...But to each there own.

You don't need the left-in string if you pull enough coax's right from the start to have extras, or fill up the pipe. It's not that much more work to do it right away, and coax is fairly cheap.

The cool thing about using coil pipe for coax runs, is there's no elbows, and it's completely smooth inside. Pulling coax is NOT the same as pulling electrical cables. Coax is much easier, and doesn't fight you compared to heavy electrical wires.

I mostly use the coil pipe, to protect my coax and sat wire from my wife and various digging projects. Hit the coax with a shovel and it cuts it. Hit the coil pipe, and it protects it enough that she knows to stop immediately with no damage.

I recommend against flex conduit for direct burial purposes; especially if buried above the frost line. If you can't see any other way, you should insure the chosen conduit is rated for direct burial.

I recommend against flex conduit for direct burial purposes; especially if buried above the frost line. If you can't see any other way, you should insure the chosen conduit is rated for direct burial.

I'm not talking "flex conduit". I'm talking coil pipe. That's like the stuff they use for underground sprinklers. It's made from polyethylene.

I'm not talking "flex conduit". I'm talking coil pipe. That's like the stuff they use for underground sprinklers. It's made from polyethylene.
I get that, but the TS was talking about using flexible conduit which runs anywhere from ENT (smurf tube) to liquidtight that may or may not be suitable for direct burial.

I would use HDPE SDR 13.5 with a pre installed mule pull tape. Cheap about 35 cents a foot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)