CONFIRMED(?)- Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

Gotta remember, the goal (duty?) of (DISH)a for-profit company is to make profit, not to RETAIN customers. Anyone forgetting that should recall the dot com boom and bust. Some of those business plans did not even bother to include the word "profit." They only addressed market share.

fixed for you

And one more thing- when commenting how some cableco will give additional STBs or even DVRs "at no additional charge" you gotta remember that those boxes generally fall woefully short of Dish DVRs, or even the HR24. And if you don't think they do, you shouldn't be paying for better equipment in the first place- go to the cableco.

And one more thing- when commenting how some cableco will give additional STBs or even DVRs "at no additional charge" you gotta remember that those boxes generally fall woefully short of Dish DVRs, or even the HR24. And if you don't think they do, you shouldn't be paying for better equipment in the first place- go to the cableco.

Has nothing to do with this subject. :rolleyes: This is about Absolute package, not equipment. Those posts were regarding programming, nothing else.

Navy, do you have Absolute?

....It dosen't matter who your satellite or cable company is, we are all paying the price. There has to be a breaking point and I think we are almost there.
As I posted at the time, one of a main attractions of the DishHD Absolute (then HD Only) package was that it allowed me NOT to support the bloat of hundreds of SD channels with little or no value (at least to my family). Apparently the content providers saw that too and finally twisted enough arms to put a stop to it :( The saddest part of losing the DishHD Absolute package is knowing we'll be supporting even more crap channels just to get a few channels we actually watch.

Hopefully you are right and more Sat/Cable subs will begin to say enough is enough, forcing even higher package prices and fees for the remaining subs until they too rebel and eventually force a change in the program packaging. But I'm not holding my breath :(

Talon Dancer

What I don't understand is why there is still SD versions of channels that have a HD version, or any SD feeds at all. Right now other than a few HD channels like Discovery HDTHR or maybe some movies shown on the premiums, or VOOM when it was available, almost all of sports and network tv is shot to fit SD (4x3) with no loss of graphics or the main content. If you ever see a HD camera from the side of the operator , they have marks on the screen to show where the 4x3 pic fits and all graphics, like the tickers on ESPN all fit in a SD screen. I have both HD and SD sets so I can compare the feeds of all and I don't see a need for SD other than to be able to charge an additional fee for another HD feed. When HD first came out there was a very slow adoption of the sets and programming, now everything thing is done in HD . I doubt that you can find a decent size TV that is not HD or a show or sporting event that is not shot in HD. When the OTA conversion to digital took place, that should of been the end of a two tier system. The programmers are using this to make more money at the expense of the customer and Dish along with all providers are just passing along the cost. It's time to look at HD as the standard and SD as a past technology, like the VCR. "The programmers are double dipping into our pockets."

Has nothing to do with this subject. :rolleyes: This is about Absolute package, not equipment. Those posts were regarding programming, nothing else.

Navy, do you have Absolute?

No, there was a comment about cableco boxes.

Nope. Needed certain SD channels. AT250 or whatever the name of the day is, plus premiums, and two ViP722s. My bill is well over $100 per month. When my son moves out again, I will drop the premiums and try to get it below $100. As I posted before, I may have to seriously look at moving to Fios, even with their lesser equipment. It's all a matter of dollars.

Of course, if my employer goes under, I'll be making a LOT of quick changes.

ok, you want a real fair comparison? how many cable companies across the united states this past year have told their customers they are ending the analog plans and requiring them to upgrade to a new digital tier service and to get new digital equipment?

there is a real one i did post about the cable companies though ending their analog services and requiring digital tier subscription and equipment.

There is no additional cost for the subs. The cable companies are providing converter boxes for free. So, your analogy there is incorrect as well.

they are providing one digital set top box and two additional digital adapters for free. anything else beyond that will have a monthly rental cost. so for some customers it will be free, for others, it will not.

Comcast Expanded Basic cable customers can get free upgraded digital equipment » TCPalm.com

"Equipment offered: One digital set-top box and two digital adaptors per household at no cost. Each additional adaptor $1.99 per month, set-top box $6.95 per month."

That is 3 TV's, sounds like it covers most people that would not have had a box previously, that would have subscribed to the basic analog package.

And my point is still, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO THE CUSTOMER.

Interesting that the cable pig is not as bad as the DISH hogs.

Here it is for you Navy, it was about programming, not boxes.

He compared the recent Comcast analog to digital switch, to DISH removing the Absolute package for customers.

It was no cost or programming loss to those cable customers.

With DISH your programming will change, and your cost will surely increase.

Gotta remember, the goal (duty?) of a for-profit company is to make profit, not to gain customers. Anyone forgetting that should recall the dot com boom and bust. Some of those business plans did not even bother to include the word "profit." They only addressed market share.

Completely agree navy. Just stating what I see happening at Dish. As customers, we don't like it but that's the goal of any company. I guess we were spoiled customers and now that their goal has changed, well we just don't like it. :)

What I don't understand is why there is still SD versions of channels that have a HD version, or any SD feeds at all. Right now other than a few HD channels like Discovery HDTHR or maybe some movies shown on the premiums, or VOOM when it was available, almost all of sports and network tv is shot to fit SD (4x3) with no loss of graphics or the main content. If you ever see a HD camera from the side of the operator , they have marks on the screen to show where the 4x3 pic fits and all graphics, like the tickers on ESPN all fit in a SD screen. I have both HD and SD sets so I can compare the feeds of all and I don't see a need for SD other than to be able to charge an additional fee for another HD feed. When HD first came out there was a very slow adoption of the sets and programming, now everything thing is done in HD . I doubt that you can find a decent size TV that is not HD or a show or sporting event that is not shot in HD. When the OTA conversion to digital took place, that should of been the end of a two tier system. The programmers are using this to make more money at the expense of the customer and Dish along with all providers are just passing along the cost. It's time to look at HD as the standard and SD as a past technology, like the VCR. "The programmers are double dipping into our pockets."

can you say DVR625?

Is Dish purposefully trying to piss off their long time customers??

What in the hell is going on?

Scott, can you inform Charlie of this mini-revolution by his (formerly) loyal subs that is going on? A little email to him or something.

Does he even care?

Well, then the old management is getting the company back to making profit at the expense of losing customers. :)
So you are indicating they were not making a profit in the past? That's hard to believe.
I would think they would want to at least hold on to their share of the market. Then again maybe they feel they won't be able to do that and want to maximize profit from their remaining subs which would keep investors at bay......At least for a while. I can not speak for other areas of the country but both D* and E* are taking a beating in my area because of bundling with other providers. TWC and u-verse are expanding into areas I didn't think they ever would. Folks around here because of the economy are looking every way they can to save a few bucks. D* and E* are still most prevalent in the poorer neighborhoods and the trailer parks in the out lying areas, but in the middle income neighborhoods like mine I am seeing fewer and fewer satellite dishes. I want higher internet speeds and the only way I can do that is to go with a cable provider. If I can bundle and save a few bucks in the process why not? I will give u-verse a spin before deciding what to do about Dish. I do not want to leave Dish because I like what I have but ultimately my wallet will make the decision for me. I wonder how well Dish will be doing 5 years from now? If they continue with their recent practices I know they will be a faded memory in this house.​

Last edited:
I certainly believe that any company has a right to make a profit...I also think they (companies) could sit back and realize that making a 200 million dollar profit vs 250 million ain't really that bad. I don't want any gov't regulations here either, I want "morals" to factor in... Wishful thinking, eh ?

Okay, here is an important point in understanding human society.

Suppose you have a CEO who balances "morals", customers' best interests, and profit. By a process of natural selection, he will eventually be replaced by a CEO who only thinks of profits. That latter CEO's "performance" is better and will be appreciated by the board of directors and stockholders.

Only a privately held company can end up having any values other than profits.

Human beings talk a lot about helping other people, but in reality, one is hard pressed to find very many people who take a hit to their own income and job security in order to help others, even less so when they would be taking the financial hit to help others financially.

Last edited:
Here it is for you Navy, it was about programming, not boxes.

He compared the recent Comcast analog to digital switch, to DISH removing the Absolute package for customers.

It was no cost or programming loss to those cable customers.

With DISH your programming will change, and your cost will surely increase.

"...they are providing one digital set top box and two additional digital adapters for free..."

"...they are providing one digital set top box and two additional digital adapters for free..."

To receive the exact same programming they had before at no additional cost. Those customers had no boxes before, and did not necessarily want them. They were required to have them because the systems are switching from analog to digital. The programming remained the same. Enough from me on this off-topic subject. You are reading something else into this which is not there. I explained it to you, you obviously don't understand.

Okay, here is an important point in understanding human society.

Suppose you have a CEO who balances "morals", customers' best interests, and profit. By a process of natural selection, he will eventually be replaced by a CEO who only thinks of profits. That latter CEO's "performance" is better and will be appreciated by the board of directors and stockholders.

Only a privately held company can end up having any values other than profits.

Human beings talk a lot about helping other people, but in reality, one is hard pressed to find very many people who take a hit to their own income and job security in order to help others, even less so when they would be taking the financial hit to help others financially.

Then just raise the f'n rates on the package. Give the customer options.

Remember the rising cost of whatever that doesnt effect me is fine:) But one day you might be the target.....

Bet some absolute subs dissed those of us with fee jacking complaints....

and this is for scott

you said you had charlies insider access:) How about calling and asking whats up?

and trying other providers and write reviews.

certinally claude of the dishstore could get you a D setup to use for a review:) dont forget cable and TIVO:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)