Considering Switch Back to DTV - Worth the Change?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks! If I get the adapters, will the h23 recievers also be able to pause and ff a recorded show?
yes, also unlike a client if you ever add another DVR the H23 will give you a choice on which DVR to record too.

The only thing the H23 won't be able to do is pause and FF, RW live tv, if you need to pause or RW you must first hit record.

yes, also unlike a client if you ever add another DVR the H23 will give you a choice on which DVR to record too.

The only thing the H23 won't be able to do is pause and FF, RW live tv, if you need to pause or RW you must first hit record.
Ok , so all I'm losing by using the h23 vs the genie mini is ff, pause, rw live tv and small size. You've been a big help. Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks raoul5788! I'm still trying to learn my way around. I tried to post my question earlier in a new post but it asked me to add participants. Since I'm new, I didn't completely understand what to do so I tried to find a thread that was somewhat close to what I wanted to ask. satgirl51 was very helpful. I'm new to all the sattelite equipment and stuff since I'm coming from cable, where you simply screwed the coax straight into the tv.

Thanks raoul5788! I'm still trying to learn my way around. I tried to post my question earlier in a new post but it asked me to add participants. Since I'm new, I didn't completely understand what to do so I tried to find a thread that was somewhat close to what I wanted to ask. satgirl51 was very helpful. I'm new to all the sattelite equipment and stuff since I'm coming from cable, where you simply screwed the coax straight into the tv.

Welcome to real TV!

If you call DirecTV they will likely send those DECAs free, or send a tech with them. That should have been handled during your install, you should not have to purchase/install yourself unless you prefer to.

Thanks. I called them and they are sending a tech out today. I have a 4 room setup and originally started with 4 h23 hd recievers. I was suppose to get something smaller than the h23's for the 3 bedrooms but didnt. I got changed to the genie hr44 and 3 genie mini's. I love the hr44 dvr but the mini's are terribly slow to me. It may just be me, but the h23 reciever is faster than the mini's and found out that they don't have a dedicated tuner and rely on the hr44 tuners. Is this the reason they are slower? I decided to keep the hr44 dvr and 3 of the h23 recievers. I think this is a better setup.

Thanks. I called them and they are sending a tech out today. I have a 4 room setup and originally started with 4 h23 hd recievers. I was suppose to get something smaller than the h23's for the 3 bedrooms but didnt. I got changed to the genie hr44 and 3 genie mini's. I love the hr44 dvr but the mini's are terribly slow to me. It may just be me, but the h23 reciever is faster than the mini's and found out that they don't have a dedicated tuner and rely on the hr44 tuners. Is this the reason they are slower? I decided to keep the hr44 dvr and 3 of the h23 recievers. I think this is a better setup.

I agree that's a good setup, that way if people are watching live tv on any of the H23 receivers you still have all 5 tuners on the hr44 for recording.

Yeah. It's either the mini's or the 23's. DirecTV has a recovery kit coming for the mini's. Tech came this morning and hooked the deca's up.

Also , can I order PPV and VOD from the 23's ? And if I connect the hr44 dvr to the internet, will that also connect the 23's to the internet?

Last edited:
Yes if you connect the Hr44 to the Internet it will provide Internet to all receivers, while PPV will definitely work I am actually not sure on VOD.

if you have the genie hooked up to the internet, then your h23's will pick it up too. i recomend using a BB deca (requires a coax line to near your internet router). failing that the hr44 has wireless connectivity and will share its connection on the moca network. the BB deca works alot better for internet content though,

Also , can I order PPV and VOD from the 23's ?
You can order PPV movies/events but can't access the free VOD from the various networks (channel 1000 and higher on the Genies/HDDVRs/Mini Clients). However, you can download a VOD program/movie to the HR44 then play it back on the H23 non-DVR receivers via Whole Home.

You can also use the mobile/tablet apps to start a VOD download to the HR44 then it will appear in the playlist and you can playback on the H23's.

And if I connect the hr44 dvr to the internet, will that also connect the 23's to the internet?
Yes, but you really only gain the ability to order PPV with the remote and TV apps (accessed by right arrow >) on HD non DVR receivers with an internet connection. The internet connection for the HR44 Genie however does gain you quite a few extras (VOD, YouTube, Pandora, Live stream many channels through the mobile/tablet apps, Start Over select programs from the beginning etc).

Ok, Thanks everyone. How does a bb deca differ from the deca's the tech installed today? Does it connect to my wireless router via ethernet?

The broadband DECA connects the whole DirecTV network to the internet. In your setup they may have installed one, or may have just plugged the HR44 into the internet via wifi or ethernet. If the HR44 is connected you do not need and should not have a broadband DECA.

I have ethernet ran up behind the main tv and hr44. I will plug it in tonight. Do those extras apply only to the genie dvr or will I also be able to get them on the hr23's ? And now I have another problem I found. Outside where the coax comes from the dish to the cable box on the house. Just before it gets to the house, it is not buried good. I'm going to try and get it down when the weather permits providing there is enough slack. I don't want to call them back. They've been out 3 times already. If need be, can I lay another run and will I knock the dish out of alignment doing it. It looks like I would have to detach the lmb.

if it was done properly, there should be a ground block on the outside negating the need to even touch the dish. it sounds like it runs straight from the lnb into the house, in which you would need to detatch the lnb, but the reflector should be well secured to whatever it's mounted to that anything short of taking a hammer to it wont bother it.

Yes. It runs straight out of the shaft from the lnb and it is grounded at the pole the dish is on and at the cable box/block.

I think there's enough slack but not sure. So, even if I remove the lnb but don't move the actual dish, I won't bother it ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)