Cost to hook up an additional TV?

azbumbers

Original poster
Sep 16, 2009
Arizona
This has probably been discussed ad nauseam so pardon if I didn't put this under an appropriate thread but I wanted to ask on my Dad's behalf how much it would cost to hook up the HDTV in the living room to Dish. See, I've been a subscriber for a few years while he and the rest of the family had Cox (long story but to put it briefly, I just wanted what Dish had to offer). Now he's looking to cut costs by hooking up the HDTV to Dish so that we could split the cost. What would it possibly cost to get it hooked up, at least the range of the least expensive route to one that would include a HD receiver/DVR? I know he wants to get HD if possible but right now, he's simply considering the options that may be available. Thanks!

A 211k would be an option. It receives 1 sat channel and 1 OTA channel. It can be turned into a DVR by adding an external HDD and paying a one-time fee of $40. The monthly fee is $7 whether owned or leased. As to DVRs, a 612 gets 2 sat channels and 1 OTA and costs $10 per month. The 622 and 722 each receive 2 sat channels and 1 OTA channel and have PiP. They can also feed a second SDTV. The 722k is similar to the 622 and 722 but has 2 OTA tuners (with the $30 optional module) in addition to the standard 2 sat tuners so one can record 4 channels at the same time. The 622, 722, and 722k are all $17 per month. There is also the account level $6 DVR fee unless you already have a DVR. So the cost of adding a receiver is from $7 to $17 per month. I assume you already have HD service from E*.

Make sure your dad knows that Dish is in an ugly patent infringement battle over its DVR technology with TiVo and may have to shut its DVRs off in the future.

A 211k would be an option... It can be turned into a DVR by adding an external HDD and paying a one-time fee of $40...There is also the account level $6 DVR fee unless you already have a DVR.

Not to hijack the thread, but I want to make sure I'm right about something. I'm about to replace my 2 625's with 3 211k's + HDD. It's my understanding that they aren't subject to the $6/mo DVR fee. Am I correct on that?

Not to hijack the thread, but I want to make sure I'm right about something. I'm about to replace my 2 625's with 3 211k's + HDD. It's my understanding that they aren't subject to the $6/mo DVR fee. Am I correct on that?

In addition to that it has been posted over and over that the ViP series DVRs are not affected by this Tivo lawsuit either.

Make sure your dad knows that Dish is in an ugly patent infringement battle over its DVR technology with TiVo and may have to shut its DVRs off in the future.

It has been posted over and over that the ViP series DVRs are not affected by this Tivo lawsuit.

A 211k would be an option. It receives 1 sat channel and 1 OTA channel. It can be turned into a DVR by adding an external HDD and paying a one-time fee of $40. The monthly fee is $7 whether owned or leased. As to DVRs, a 612 gets 2 sat channels and 1 OTA and costs $10 per month. The 622 and 722 each receive 2 sat channels and 1 OTA channel and have PiP. They can also feed a second SDTV. The 722k is similar to the 622 and 722 but has 2 OTA tuners (with the $30 optional module) in addition to the standard 2 sat tuners so one can record 4 channels at the same time. The 622, 722, and 722k are all $17 per month. There is also the account level $6 DVR fee unless you already have a DVR. So the cost of adding a receiver is from $7 to $17 per month. I assume you already have HD service from E*.

Well, knowing him, he'd probably consider the 211K unless it doesn't support HD, and I do indeed have HD service already. The monthly fees are fine, it's the cost of the box and installation I think that he is concerned about. I will share this with him though and find out if he has any other questions. Also, should we want to talk to a Dish rep in person, where would be the place for that? Thanks for your information, this is what I was really looking for and to the others who posted, thanks as well for your thoughts. I'm not at all concerned about the lawsuit yet as it hasn't reached the point where I'd need to be concerned especially since my box is VIP722.

Well, knowing him, he'd probably consider the 211K unless it doesn't support HD, and I do indeed have HD service already. The monthly fees are fine, it's the cost of the box and installation I think that he is concerned about. I will share this with him though and find out if he has any other questions. Also, should we want to talk to a Dish rep in person, where would be the place for that? Thanks for your information, this is what I was really looking for and to the others who posted, thanks as well for your thoughts. I'm not at all concerned about the lawsuit yet as it hasn't reached the point where I'd need to be concerned especially since my box is VIP722.

I assume you want to be on the same account so you'll need to call E* about the receiver for yourself. They sell for $119 at Dishstore.net. I have no idea what E* will want as it depends on several factors. It'll likely range from free to $125 depending. Sometimes the installation is included in the price and sometimes not. If you buy it outright from Dishstore, eBay or elsewhere all you need to do is call the E* customer service number and read them some info from the receiver to get it activated. This assumes you can run the line from the sat LNB to the new receiver yourself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts