Cost to upgrade a 522 to 942HDTV? (942) Allowed even?

Slyster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Asked this on dbstalk.. but thought I'd run it by here too.. this site seems to be more active to me.

----------------------

Dish is great at selling dish to new customers.. but lacks on current customer upgrade information.

We have a 522 in single mode downstairs and an older 510 (Not sure of it's #- a single tuner 35 hour DVR) upstairs and a tuner only way upstairs.

I wonder if they would let me move the 522 upstairs and get an HDTV942 downstairs? Meaning, really, two units with two tuners.. or wouldn't they allow this?

No- I haven't called them up- thought I'd get better info here- sad but true!

You can try to get the 942 lease deal. Send an email to ceo@echostar.com

The 35 hour DVR is a 501 - you OWN it, so do NOT let them force you to return it to them! You can sell it (or give it to me :) ). The other single-tuner basic box might be leased, but in any event isn't worth all that much.

To move the 522 upstairs to replace the existing two boxes might involve some cable work - but probably not much. You'll need a cable from one room to the other, along with a pair of (low-cost) diplexers. The installer should handle this for you - especially since the 942 install (replacing the 522) is a zero-effort affair.

Slyster said:
Asked this on dbstalk.. but thought I'd run it by here too.. this site seems to be more active to me.
----------------------
Dish is great at selling dish to new customers.. but lacks on current customer upgrade information.
We have a 522 in single mode downstairs and an older 510 (Not sure of it's #- a single tuner 35 hour DVR) upstairs and a tuner only way upstairs.
I wonder if they would let me move the 522 upstairs and get an HDTV942 downstairs? Meaning, really, two units with two tuners.. or wouldn't they allow this?
No- I haven't called them up- thought I'd get better info here- sad but true!
Don't forget the 942 is now out of production.

OK.. well what I meant is the "Latest HDTV 2 tuner unit" whatever its number.. I don't know my unit numbers.. I was just asking about upgrading to the latest 2 tuner HDTV unit... and thereby sending my 522 upstairs (and then booting out that old 501 or 510.. whatever its called too.. not sure once again.. but its a 2 year old 35 hour 1 tuner DVR)....

Thanks for any suggestions! Still want to do this ASAP.... Am SICK at having a good HDTV television downstairs for over a year now... yet have never ONCE seen HDTV on it... don't even know what the difference is or if it the dang thing works!

At any rate.. I assume component outs to this TV from a 9xx will be better than from a S-video out from my 522. That alone should make the upgrade a good thing?

In one week we should know a lot more from the announcements at CES. You may be able to get the VIP622 starting 2/1/06. In future years, you might regret not waiting the extra month or 2 to get a DVR with a longer product life and the ethernet port.

What is the VIP622? Will this be an HDTV unit? Yes.. I can certainly wait.. no rush.. I'm very happy with my 522 currently... just looking for better image quality via component video out and HD. I got many years (hopefully) of TV watching ahead of me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)