Could this be signs of a bad install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

danb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Got Direct installed about 2 months ago. The guys did a roof install as I had Dish up there previously. The guys seemed like they'd rather just set it up in the yard, but with kids around all the time and basketballs flying around I wanted it out of the way. So it went on the roof. The guy threw the old dish off the roof and left it sit in the yard until I picked it up after they left. Seemed a little odd, but I'm generally pretty easygoing when it comes to people coming in to do work. It was an 8am install and the guys seemed like they were in a major rush to get out of there. I fully understand time constraints because of my work and having to go to jobsite to jobsite to get things done. The guys were overall very personable they probably appreciated I had everything basically ready (cable run, furniture moved so everything easilly accessible) But after having the thing for two months now it's seeming like something wasn't done properly with the alignment (possibly?). The reliabilty of this thing is nowhere close to what I had in the DIsh 722 Hd Setup with I believe a superdish 1000. I mean it's seems like it's at least twice a week where I have signal issues sometimes when it's not even raining out. On top of this the DVR functionality is no where close to what Dish had as far as pausing live tv fast forwarding and so forth. The only way I can describe it is that it works well when it feels like it. Other times it's unresponsive, not consistent, or just flat out lags. And thats with the main receiver. The Genie client just seems like it's set up to lag behind and be slow. I guess that is part of what you get and from what I read that is normal. But my main issue is with the overall functionality of the main unit. Changing stations, pausing, rewinding tv is all just painful at times because it's so erratic and slow response. I've tried the reset. I've tried unplugging. No change. Also there should be a live tv button on the remote. Get rid of some button saying active that takes me to channel 9999, what is the point of that button.

Since you are coming from Dish, you'll just need to get used to the Genie functionality.
There are some threads here concerning some of your complaints.
As for the lack of a Live TV button just use the Exit button.

Since you are coming from Dish, you'll just need to get used to the Genie functionality.
There are some threads here concerning some of your complaints.
As for the lack of a Live TV button just use the Exit button.

Just tried the Exit button when watching live tv then rewinding and it didn't do anything.

Can you post your signal levels on all of the satellites?

Can you post your signal levels on all of the satellites?

Satellite 101
1-8 96 95 95 90 94 100 96 100
9-16 96 96 97 94 97 100 97 100
17-24 96 77 97 95 97 100 97 100
25-32 96 0 96 100 97 100 96 100

Satellite 103 (cb)
1-14 mostly mid to high 80's

103(ca)
mid to high 80's

99(c)
mid 80's to mid 90's

swm
high 90's to 100

It certainly isn't the alignment, those numbers are very good. You could have a sporadically bad lnb or a bad cable or connection somewhere.

It certainly isn't the alignment, those numbers are very good. You could have a sporadically bad lnb or a bad cable or connection somewhere.

You might be right. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait till mid summer to get an overall judgment. If by 6 months I'm still having these issue I'll probably make a call. I don't know if this setup just inherently "bugier" than the Dish setup. There are certain areas where Dish can't compete with Direct. Namely sports programming. But in my opinion the Dish hardware is a little more stable than Direct from my first two months experience with the Genie/client setup. I'd get the occasional glitch with the Dish setup, but no where near the issues I've had with Direct.

The software and hardware for Directv is good, but from what I have read, Dish is better. That's a separate issue from from having signal problems. You should have that looked into right away.

The software and hardware for Directv is good, but from what I have read, Dish is better. That's a separate issue from from having signal problems. You should have that looked into right away.

I will. Thanks for the help.

Could be a couple things.... If he used existing cabling he may have not changed out any older fittings or barrel connectors used in the previous system. And you signal levels for the 99 and 103 are off. They should be in the low to mid 90's. Your 101 is solid. Maybe see if they can adjust some of your settings to improve UI speed. Some times tweaking a few things in the menus can improve the delays.

He may be able to get better numbers on the hd sats, maybe not. Some areas don't get better than the mid 80s or so. Either way, he was losing signal integrity even in good weather, so alignment isn't his initial problem.

My original install was botched (seemed to be imposing on the installers free time)... I had to have someone come back. He changed the barrel connectors, and found a major crimp on one of the cable runs, which he spliced out. Since then, no more signal problems.

Still stuck with the Genie software tho :( Its probably still better than the TWC UI, but that's not saying much :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)