D* could drop NFL ST or make a non-exclusive deal in the next renewal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm wondering if the NFL is pressing the issue of a IPTV based NFL ST since it didn't happen on a large enough scale to talk about. I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that it was DIRECTV's responsibility to set this up. I would imagine they're having some serious arguments about what "customers that cannot receive DIRECTV satellite service" means with respect to the IPTV product.

NFL ST being widely available via IPTV would doubtless do some serious damage to the DIRECTV subscriber numbers if some of the many "I'm just here for NFL ST" claims are true. Coax cutting could become the new national pastime if you could go with a cheaper service (or services) and get your NFL fix via broadband.

As for the ruckus that Sports Illustrated is trying to drum up, it sounds like somebody's diapers need changing. They can't even get Pat Doyle's title right (he is the CFO, not the CEO) and Doyle's hinting at dropping seems more like a standard negotiation posturing exercise than a preview of what is to come. Absence (or ignorance) of evidence of negotiations should not be presented as overwhelming evidence that negotiations probably won't happen.

If Aereo wins there court case ST will become worthless in my view.

This isn't all about residential customers. Much of DIRECTV's NFL ST revenues come from commercial establishments and if they didn't have a lock on ST, imagine how quick they'd switch to someone who didn't require a room full of satellite receivers to keep content on the TVs.

exclusive? is kinda over! everyone can get ST now on the Playstation network, but i don't know how quality is it
I hears the quality is so so and you need to have a fast internet connection. When I worked for the local cable company one of the main reasons people would switch to DTV is the Sunday Ticket. That was a year ago since I could not work. Since then they have gotten Red Zone so Im not sure if that has changed anything.

I hears the quality is so so and you need to have a fast internet connection. When I worked for the local cable company one of the main reasons people would switch to DTV is the Sunday Ticket. That was a year ago since I could not work. Since then they have gotten Red Zone so Im not sure if that has changed anything.

Red Zone,is definitely a contributing factor to ST subscriber losses.While it's not as good to me as watching my favorite team,it's the next best thing,also the price is right.

This article always comes up when it gets close to contract talks. I am sure D knows what they have and will get another exclusive deal done

So the current deal between NFL/DTV for ST goes through the 2014/15 season and a blowhard from ESPN asks about the next contract. What did he expect, for DTV to come out a year+ before negotiations even start and say that they will pay any price to keep their exclusivity deal? Of course they will say that they will keep the option of dropping NFL if the price is too high.
Granted the audience is no where near as large, but they just dropped their contract with France and NASCAR because Brian got greedy. DTV is still supplying the blimp for overhead shots and you will still see DTV dishes atop every pit box, but no more "exclusive " NASCAR channels on DTV broadcasting team radios and in/on car cameras. If you want those this season go to Nascar.com, pay the $30/month and hope that you are lucky enough to be able to connect to their circa 1992 28k servers

ugh, this would really suck for me. i love directv and i can't see myself switching to anything else, but i have to have ST. hopefully they continue to carry it, just not exclusively. wouldn't that make the price cheaper if it wasn't an exclusive deal?

You have no idea on how most bars are setup. Lot's of them have matrix switcher systems.

The discussion was alternatives. If they could service TVs over a network and with less equipment there would be some appeal.

So the current deal between NFL/DTV for ST goes through the 2014/15 season and a blowhard from ESPN asks about the next contract. What did he expect, for DTV to come out a year+ before negotiations even start and say that they will pay any price to keep their exclusivity deal? Of course they will say that they will keep the option of dropping NFL if the price is too high.
Granted the audience is no where near as large, but they just dropped their contract with France and NASCAR because Brian got greedy. DTV is still supplying the blimp for overhead shots and you will still see DTV dishes atop every pit box, but no more "exclusive " NASCAR channels on DTV broadcasting team radios and in/on car cameras. If you want those this season go to Nascar.com, pay the $30/month and hope that you are lucky enough to be able to connect to their circa 1992 28k servers

Oh, I would think that negotiations ARE currently going on for this package ... your not hearing anything about it because theres a lot of time till it expires ...

ugh, this would really suck for me. i love directv and i can't see myself switching to anything else, but i have to have ST. hopefully they continue to carry it, just not exclusively. wouldn't that make the price cheaper if it wasn't an exclusive deal?
Maybe, Maybe NOT ...

If other providers have it available to them, they KNOW what D* has been charging already, you know they will want the same if possible.

Maybe, Maybe NOT ...

If other providers have it available to them, they KNOW what D* has been charging already, you know they will want the same if possible.
What the providers charge would be governed more than anything else by what the NFL charges them for ST. If the NFL is smart it will have multiple providers for ST but at the same time charge each provider less than what they charge Directv now. But since they would be on more providers their net income would be greater even with charging each provider less. And if ST as a result of this becomes cheaper for the consumer that would encourage more ST subscriptions which would add even more money to the NFL's coffers.

I would think when the dust settles, Directv will work on keeping it exclusive, it's a main drawing to there service

no..nfl is waay too greedy to let that happen

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)