Status
Please reply by conversation.

icehckylvr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 6, 2004
Elk Grove, CA
I just had D* install HD on Saturday morning and was wondering a few things. They installed a Winegard antenna and when the installer did a search, I was not able to get the HD for ABC and NBC. I get most of the others, but would really like to get them all. I work Part Time for Lowes and they sell the Channel Master 3020 for $98. Don't know if it is worth it to invest now or just wait until they start transmitting the locals in HD over the satellite. We are in the 7th largest per the Nielsons, so I assume we will be one of the first to get the local HD over the satellite.

Is there anyone out there from the Dallas area that might be able to suggest an antenna that is not as expensive that will do the job temporarily?

BTW I live in Wylie, TX (75098) which is just East of Plano by Lake Lavon.

Thanks

Ron

Be sure that your antenna is pointed toward Cedar Hill and that there are no obstructions. Is your antenna mounted outside or in an attic space? You should be able to get both of those channel from your location.

It is attached to the same mount as the dish on the roof. Just an update, when I got home from work on Sunday, I did another channel scan since it was a nicer day on Sunday than it was on Saturday, and after doing the scan, I did pickup ABC and NBC in HD. When the scan was finished, it stated that it found 9 stations compared to 7 on Saturday. Still thinking of going with a bigger antenna and seeing if I can get more.

Thanks.

NBC 5 is owned and operated by NBC. You should be able to get the NY/LA NBC HD feed at no charge. ABC you will still have to use the antenna, but good news is this summer DFW's locals in HD should be available from Directv.

By the way, I grew up and graduated from Wylie HS. :)

Is the antenna they installed capable of getting VHF? WFAA-DT is broadcasting on Ch 9.

I had talked to D* on Saturday and the person told me that I could not get the locals out of NY/LA. He said that I did not qualify for them.

As for the antenna...dang..I am just not an expert on that. I know it is a winegard (saw that on the box), just not sure of the model. I think it is the GS-2VRD (which I hope not, because they don't make it anymore), but I am not sure. I will look at the box at home and see if I can find some additional information off it to share with you folks.

Thanks

Call D* back and speak with the HD eligibility dept. They will tell you for sure what you qualify for. You should qualify for all but ABC out of NY/LA.

In Wylie you will qualify for the HD feeds East coast FOX,NBC,CBS. I do so you should. With a TV antenna Channel Master 3016 and higher numbers you should get about 16 Dallas channels. Chs. 2,4,5,8,11,13,23,27,29,33,39,49,52,55,58 & 68 all have digital channels. Ch58 & 68 are offering 4 digital channels each,Ch 5 8 and 21 are offering 2 channels each.

OK..just got home and called D* again about the NY/LA feeds and the girl told me I only qualify for the feeds closest to me, which was NY. I cannot get the LA feeds according to her. I also went and bought a Channel Master 3018 to be able to get more of the local HD channels.

Hope that works.

Thanks for everyones help.

Glad we could help!!

I meant to say this earlier, Welcome to Satelliteguys!!! :welcome

Thanks..been here a couple of months and was seriously considering Voom over the D*, but got scared and thought they might shut down. Happy with D* HD so far, although it has only been a few days and I work two jobs, but I am sure I will enjoy it the longer I have it. It would be nice for D* to add TNT HD and ESPN2 HD to their lineup, but I guess alll in due time.

That is wild to find someone who went to Wylie HS. We have only lived in the area for 2 1/2 years, but really love it.

icehckylvr said:
Thanks..been here a couple of months and was seriously considering Voom over the D*, but got scared and thought they might shut down. Happy with D* HD so far, although it has only been a few days and I work two jobs, but I am sure I will enjoy it the longer I have it. It would be nice for D* to add TNT HD and ESPN2 HD to their lineup, but I guess alll in due time.

That is wild to find someone who went to Wylie HS. We have only lived in the area for 2 1/2 years, but really love it.

Give it time on TNT and ESPN2, they are getting more birds up this year, so just sit tight for a while. Dallas is suposed to be one of the first cities with HD LIL this year anyway.

OK..another question about my OTA. Can I install the CM 3018 on the short mast they used for the other OTA? It is attached onto the dish mount and really don't know how much strain that would put on the dish mount. I did also buy a 5' mast at Frys and could I just use that mast with the mount on the dish or again would that put too much strain on the dish? If need be I could go and buy a tripod mount for my roof, but if I could get away with an easier setup that would be preferable.

Thanks again

You should mount that 3018 independent of the satellite dish. That 3018 is 113" long and will have quite a bit of additional wind resistance also the additional metal above the satellite dish might lower your signal a little.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)