‘Dark Matter’ on Syfy

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Deadline is reporting:

Syfy has acquired original series Dark Matter from Stargate scribes Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. A co-production with Prodigy Pictures (Lost Girl, XIII), the 13 one-hour episodes will be based on Mallozzi and Mullie’s graphic novel Dark Matter, published by Dark Horse Comics, and will air on Syfy in 2015. The writing duo also are exec producing. It centers on the crew of a derelict spaceship who is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

Deadline is reporting:

Syfy has acquired original series Dark Matter from Stargate scribes Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie. A co-production with Prodigy Pictures (Lost Girl, XIII), the 13 one-hour episodes will be based on Mallozzi and Mullie’s graphic novel Dark Matter, published by Dark Horse Comics, and will air on Syfy in 2015. The writing duo also are exec producing. It centers on the crew of a derelict spaceship who is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.
WOW!

That sounds just like my corporate I.T. job the last couple of years! lol

The series, a co-production between the NBCUniversal-owned cable network and Lost Girl producer Prodigy Pictures, will feature Broadway's Les Miserables star Melissa O’Neil, Marc Bendavid and Anthony Lemke. The ensemble cast for Dark Matter, created by Stargate's Joseph Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, includes Alex Mallari Jr., Jodelle Ferland, Roger Cross (The Strain) and Zoie Palmer.

In Dark Matter, the crew of a derelict spaceship is awakened from stasis with no memories of who they are or how they got on board. Facing threats at every turn, they have to work together to survive a voyage charged with vengeance, betrayal and hidden secrets.

The series starts production in Toronto on Jan. 7 and marks Syfy's latest international co-production after Z Nation and Olympus. Dark Matter comes as Syfy bids farewell to Prodigy's Lost Girl.

hollywoodreporter.com

Dark-Matter_612x380_0.jpg

DARK MATTER

Premiere 12 June at 10/9c
SyFy​

Syfy Channel's 'Dark Matter' Finale Tonight Brings Shocking Revelation http://www.space.com/30398-dark-matter-syfy-show-shocking-finale.html
Syfy's space-based TV series "Dark Matter" wraps up its first season tonight (Aug. 28) with back-to-back episodes and a jaw-dropping revelation that even the cast didn't see coming."Dark Matter" is the story of six people who wake up on a derelict spaceship with no idea who they are or how they got there. As the group members slowly discover clues about their past, they face struggles of identity and redemption.In the second-to-last episode of the season, former "Star Trek: The Next Generation" cast member Wil Wheaton guest stars as a delightfully evil villain. During the season finale, hard-won alliances begin to unravel as it becomes clear that the crew is being betrayed. The last moments of the finale contain a dramatic revelation that even the show's cast called "shocking," during a press call held earlier this week.

I've really been enjoying this show. A little tidbit from Mallozzi's blog:

One of the points I made early on as the show entered production was that we have a five year game plan, but have constructed each season like separate entries in a book series. In other words, each 13 episode instalment has its own theme, and its own beginning, middle, and end. The conclusion of this first season sets us up for a spectacular, thematically different second and I’m hoping we get the chance to tell those amazing stories.

All the same, I’m extremely proud of how this first season stands as a unique and satisfying narrative journey.

Hopefully we will see more next summer.

A little more:
Yes, I’m cautiously optimistic. You all may feel we’ve waited a while to hear word about a renewal but, in that time, we’ve solidified our position as SyFy’s #2 original scripted program this year in both overall viewers and that 18-49 demo the kids always talk about (tied with Defiance and 12 Monkeys). Not bad.

Of course this is Syfy, so you never know.

With the demise of Falling Skies, the ending of Continuum this fall, and the uncertainty of Defiance's return, I'm very glad to hear Dark Matter and Killjoys have been renewed and back next summer.

I almost dropped Killjoys halfway through, but caught up during a time when my DVR was otherwise empty and was glad I did.

I'm not sure why both shows did back-to-back episodes for their finales. With Killjoys, it kind of made sense, given the story arc that was reaching its culmination. With Dark Matter, the second to last episode should've been the finale with the final episode being pushed to next season.

Maybe Netflix could pick it up? That's where I started watching it, so thanks, SyFy, for crushing my dreams... Again...

to me that isn't much of a consolation prize! :(
For some reason I'm having trouble getting into Wynonna Earp this season, but THAT show is getting rave reviews this season & it's been renewed. I can't get into Z Nation, that's just too silly. The only thing that I'm waiting for next, besides Van Helsing, is 12 Monkeys, & perhaps the Expanse & the Magicians.

I'm watching the "After Dark" for episode 3.13 on the SyFy App. It's rather bittersweet to watch since everyone seems excited about "what comes next" with the Black Ships and the Android uprising.

I'm in mind of CBS's "The Agency" which ended after a rather dramatic cliffhanger and then *poof*, canceled.
Looking at the wiki entry it doesn't look like Syfy owns the show so it is possible.
The copyright notice on "After Dark" indicates NBCUniversal International Networks Acquisitions Ltd, as well as Dark Matter Series 3 Inc. own this property.

Last edited:
The wiki entry lists Prodigy Pictures in association with the Space Channel and Dark Horse Entertainment as the Production Companies. I suppose that might not imply ownership. No idea....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)