Deep Frying a turkey...

Remember that the same amount (lbs) of turkey will displace more cooking oil than water, so when you mark the water level, realize that if you fill to the same mark with cooking oil, it may still over-fill. I'd fill it a bit below that water-level line.

The actual displacement of the same amount of room temperature liquids or are you factoring in the "bubble up" of the hot cooking oil vs room temp water?

Interesting.

Ive fried two a year for the last 5 years. Use the cajun injection quart jar and I inject all of it, regardless of whether it says to only use half.

Mixing Peanut and Canola is OK, Canola or P oil by themselves are ok.

Here's my perfected recipe, has worked perfectly on the last 4 birds.

13-14lb bird
3.5 gal of oil
inject thawed turkey 24 hours in advance
heat oil to 380, then drop turkey
keep temp as close to 350 as possible
cook 3.25 minutes per pound (calculate exactly)

I have a deep 5 gal fryer, have a stand for the turkey that pokes up thru the middle, then a hook that allows easy dropping and plucking. Enjoy.

Remember that the same amount (lbs) of turkey will displace more cooking oil than water, so when you mark the water level, realize that if you fill to the same mark with cooking oil, it may still over-fill. I'd fill it a bit below that water-level line.

Yepp, i put the turkey in, fill with water until just a little of the turkey pokes out, then measure that. Oil will expand with heat.

We always used Cajun Injectors stuff for injecting and frying a turkey around here.

:up

Make sure to pat the Turkey dry before putting it in the oil...and make sure you have some Leather Gloves handy also and a Thermometer is essential...

:up

I have a nice digital with a steel cord. Just set the thermo to the side and drop the probe in the oil.

From my sons experience, I would say to get the temp. of the oil higher then recommended when weather is cold outside.
Dan

Very true, you also have to know your own equipment. My father in laws burner doesnt drop in temp as far as mine does, and my 380 degree recommendation above was for 40 degree temps.

Even with a recipe, its an experiment the first couple of times when you are using diff equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts