Denon AVR 1312: Any HDMI handshake issues with DISH STBs?

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I was recently given a Denon AVR 1312 by a friend (new in box). I currently have an older Sony STR-DE995 (no HDMI). The only advantage I see with the Denon is the inclusion of the HDMI and subsequent introduction of the HD audio codecs with Blu Ray playback via my PS3. That's a big advantage, mind you, so I was quite grateful for the gift.

I'll have to add a 2-channel amp to preserve my 7.1 setup, but other users on this forum have advised me already about that.

On another forum, there are comments about HDMI handshake issues with some STBs. It is said this is a fault of the STB in that it's not designed to go through an HDMI repeater which is essentially what an AV receiver with HDMI switching is. That said, I don't find any comments about which STBs are problematic, specifically DISH STBs.

I have a ViP622 and a ViP722. Has anyone heard of people having handshake issues with these receivers and this Denon?

I'll also have my PS3 as well as a Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ thereby maxing out my HDMI ports on the Denon.

I've never had any handshake issues with Denon receivers dating back to the 06 models. I've used them with 211 and 622 receivers.

S~

I haven't answered this one simply because I've never used a Denon that didn't do video processing and upscaling. I have never had a problem with any Denon equipment either, but can't comment on this model.

Well, I now have the Denon receiver in question (thanks 120inna55!) , and there is one handshake issue -- well, maybe handshake, maybe not. But It does not play well with the Apple TV (new version).

When you connect HDMI from Apple Tv to the device, nothing happens, I have tried it on multiple HDMI Inputs, made sure the input assignment was for Digital HDMI (I had it on the DOCK input, which defaults to Analog), and have tried all the Apple TV settings for HDMI Out (RGB High, RGB low, and component). The Apple TV works if connected direct to the TV, with optical out to the Denon; and it worked before with a HDMI Switch.

But I seem to be at a loss as to why it is not working with the Denon. Kind of a bummer, since using the TV's input you add complexity to the setup (having to switch the Denon's input and the TV's input), and eliminate one of the primary goals of getting this receiver -- to have all four components connect through the Denon (Dish, BD, HD DVD, and Apple TV). All others work great with it. And the sound is SO MUCH better than the crap that SONY put out. Kind of irritating that the Sony I had cost more than double this device's retail price.

If anybody has any suggestions, let me know.

If you google "apple TV HDMI issue" you seem to get a LOT of hits. Folks are having problems with the HDCP synch just connecting to Samsung TVs directly. Many are reporting solving it with an V1.3 cable, so I think this may be an excessively short timeout.

Are you changing resolution at the receiver? On second thought, the whole point here was that the 1312 was strictly passthrough, so it wouldn't up or down convert.

Try the shortest cables possible and see if that fixes it. V1.3 through the path just to be safe. The Denon may have an audio pass=through on/off control. Try that both ways. Basically, you may need to do whatever is necessary to shorten the physical connection path to avoid a timeout.

Oh, and complain to Apple. There might be a fix.

If you google "apple TV HDMI issue" you seem to get a LOT of hits. Folks are having problems with the HDCP synch just connecting to Samsung TVs directly. Many are reporting solving it with an V1.3 cable, so I think this may be an excessively short timeout.

Are you changing resolution at the receiver? On second thought, the whole point here was that the 1312 was strictly passthrough, so it wouldn't up or down convert.

Try the shortest cables possible and see if that fixes it. V1.3 through the path just to be safe. The Denon may have an audio pass=through on/off control. Try that both ways. Basically, you may need to do whatever is necessary to shorten the physical connection path to avoid a timeout.

Oh, and complain to Apple. There might be a fix.

I need to order another HDMI cable, as I am one short, so I will look for one that is very short -- heck, all I need is about one meter, my cables are all 2m. Not sure if they are V1.3

I am not changing resolution at the receiver. The Apple TV does only put out 720p, but that should be a problem, I would not think.

The Denon does not seem to have very extensive options, at least from what I have seen so far.

I intend to contact Apple Care too. Google has found plenty of people complaining about the same thing, but no solutions as far as I can tell.

Try a receiver reset, I don't remember how, but I have had to do it once when I first got my Denon...

I'll try that, once I can figure out how to do it. :D

Edit: if by that you mean "resetting the processor" I found it in the manual, and it looks easy enough. I hope I can get this to work.

Might not be able to get Apple TV to play friendly with it yet, but have the U2-360 BD in it right now (in anticipation for tonight's concert!) and wow, the audio is amazing. SONY sucks. DENON rules, even on an entry-level receiver. :)

See if Denon has issued a firmware update. My Marantzes received them. I don't know if this model can be updated automatically or it has to be done at a service center. Apple doesn't play well with a lot of devices for some reason.

S~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts