DHA and credit rating????

az123

Original poster
Aug 24, 2004
I was just on the phone with Dish CSR setting up a DHA 3 TV installation complete with a 522 when I was asked for my SSN for credit purposes. I didn't think much of it as this seems to be standard practice today. The CSR came back several minutes later and said I was not elegible as I did not meet their credit criteria. I was shocked and had images of identity theft, I immediately logged onto Experian to get the up to the minute report (even showed e* inquiry from 5 minutes ago). The plus score came back with a "good" rating . While this is not perfect it is certainly good enough for a standard rate mortgage and car loan. So my question is what is the magic plus number that e* uses for approval? Do I have any recourse?

Thanks for any information.

az123 said:
I was just on the phone with Dish CSR setting up a DHA 3 TV installation complete with a 522 when I was asked for my SSN for credit purposes. I didn't think much of it as this seems to be standard practice today. The CSR came back several minutes later and said I was not elegible as I did not meet their credit criteria. I was shocked and had images of identity theft, I immediately logged onto Experian to get the up to the minute report (even showed e* inquiry from 5 minutes ago). The plus score came back with a "good" rating . While this is not perfect it is certainly good enough for a standard rate mortgage and car loan. So my question is what is the magic plus number that e* uses for approval? Do I have any recourse?

Thanks for any information.

Wow they didnt deny me... when i got married i assumed my wifes debt... my credit instantly went from perfect to the lowest good posible and I still got approved. I would call back and do it again.. maybe the CSR just screwed up. they do call it CSR roulette for a reason.

They may also deny you for having a negative item on your credit report that is related to satellite TV service, even if paid. For example, if you have a paid collection from Comcast, they may deny based on this alone and you could have a score of 800+ and still wouldn't get approved. Happened to me with T-Mobile. Had a paid collection from Pacific Bell Wireless that was caused by a billing dispute and T-Mobile gave that as a reason for declining me. Thankfully that's off my reports now but I almost had to take them to court to get it off.

Bimmerbenz

no outstanding judgements of any kind here. Bellsouth checked credit the day before (as we just moved to a new location) and there was no issue.

Dish will be sending you a written explaination of the reason. As is required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act. If something they flag is incorrect, you have the right to get it removed and to ask dish to look again.

az123 said:
no outstanding judgements of any kind here. Bellsouth checked credit the day before (as we just moved to a new location) and there was no issue.

too many credit inquiries in a months time is a red flag FYI.

Yea, i gotten hit with the too many credit checks problem before. WHO THE HECK COMES UP WITH THESE RULES!!!!!! Even after I showed them my 0 balances on all my credit cards, lowes still wouldnt raise my limit. I had applied for one of those 0% for whatever months (hell if they're offering, ill take it :) I have at least a 10k limit on all my other cards, but they only offered 1800. The reason came in the mail, TOO MANY credit checks. Isnt that THEIR PROBLEM? :)

Or maybe they just want to screw people that dont carry a balance cuz they make 0 from interest. :confused:

Anyways, since you said bellsouth had checked the day before, you possibly have had too many people snooping your report (your own check now included)... might hafta wait a month or two.

HokieEngineer said:
Anyways, since you said bellsouth had checked the day before, you possibly have had too many people snooping your report (your own check now included)... might hafta wait a month or two.

That flagged it to me too

Too many checks makes them deny because it could be a sign that your identity was just stolen and the thieves are starting to rack up a bunch of credit to use.

az123 said:
So my question is what is the magic plus number that e* uses for approval? Do I have any recourse?

Dish Network uses the same database as Experian for looking up SS no.#'s, Dish has no control over this information, they don't save it or have direct access to it. When they enter it, it's gone from your acct (it's that kind of deal). All the SSN is for is to prove you are who you are, it isn't a credit score even though the CSR's call it that.

Check you SS card, and give the CSR *exactly* what it says, i.e. if the card mispelled your name, that's the problem. Middle initials / names count. If you have any questions about it, goto http://www.experian.com/ and contact them and they'll be able to provide you with the information you need. Or even better, ask Dish!, they have the no.# that you need to call.

Hope this helps! :)

Jonk1988 said:
Dish Network uses the same Database as Experian for looking up SS no.#'s, Dish has no control over this information, they don't save it or have direct access to it. When they enter it, it's gone from your acct (it's that kind of deal). All the SSN is for is to prove you are who you are, it isn't a credit score even those the CSR's call it that.

Check you SS card, and give the CSR *exactly* what it says, i.e. if the card mispelled your name, that's the problem. Middle initials / names count. If you have any questions about it, goto http://www.experian.com/ and contact them and they'll be able to provide you with the information you need.

Hope this helps! :)

they didnt even ask me to spell my name when I told them my soc. and my name... and my last name is Van Leuven so it aint easy for alot of ppl to spell. And it showed up on my credit history report as a credit check.

It is, but it isn't a credit check. Bad credit won't necessarily hurt you is what I mean. I don't know exactly how it works, that's why I suggested to call Experian to find out why. I do know that the name has to be near perfect. If the SSN and Name don't match up, it won't go through. That's all there is.

I disagree, they do credit checks and do deny people for bad credit.

They invest in a new customer with cost of equipment and installation. They credit score to see the likelyhood of making their money back on their investment. I am not sure how, whether it's by FICO or by seperate determinations, but they do check your credit.

HokieEngineer said:
Even after I showed them my 0 balances on all my credit cards, lowes still wouldnt raise my limit.
A $0 balance can be a bad thing too.... It means you could go out and immediately charge up "X" dollars. People think it's "okay" to have 5-6 credit cards with zero or low balances. No, it's NOT.

bcshields said:
I disagree, they do credit checks and do deny people for bad credit.

They invest in a new customer with cost of equipment and installation. They credit score to see the likelyhood of making their money back on their investment. I am not sure how, whether it's by FICO or by seperate determinations, but they do check your credit.

There is a risk involved and you're right they probably do do a credit check, but unless you filed for bankruptcy (or can't prove who you are by SSN) I don't think they really care as long as there's a CC. But either way I know Dish doesn't handle SSN's, it's handled through Experian. All they do is run it through the database and you're either approved or denied.

Thanks for all the insight, you all make good points. The fact of the matter is that bell south was the first credit ckeck in 6 months and the FICO score at Experian was good 700+. I'm just curious what exactly the Dish criteria is? I guess I will have to call Experian or wait for that letter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts