Did you get a free Roku offer?

Free Roku

• Yes

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No

Votes: 215 52.4%

• Total voters
My Roku came USPS last Friday, the 6th, after an online chat on Sunday evening, the 1st. Pretty quick, considering the holiday on the 4th! :)

Android does have an offical Roku app. It works through the Router, so your Android has to be connected via Wifi on the same network the Roku is, so you don't have to point it. It does not work using IR just Wifi. It will find any Roku on the network.
I tried it, and it only finds the Roku 2 XD, not my older XD. I wonder if it only works with Roku 2 models?

Currently connected via composite cable as all the hdmi slots are already taken....Briefly checked out a couple of movies from Crackle and besides the letterbox format the picture quality was very good.
Just wait until you get it hooked up via HDMI, and view some HD content. You will be amazed that this tiny device can produce such a fantastic picture on a large flat screen TV via web streaming. DD5.1 too on some content.

I had the glitch. My original order (a week ago) wasn't placed after being promised, and some lengthy investigation from a member of Executive Restorations Team (if I got that right) I'll be getting mine within three to five business days. A good man, and I have to thank him for getting my problem resolved.

Teehar said:
I have to disagree with the picture quality.Currently connected via composite cable as all the hdmi slots are already taken.Got an hdmi selector on the way to solve that issue.Anyway,on a 6mb connection and composite cables the picture quality is very good.The sd quality is much better than on Dish.Watched an episode of Movin On (Claude Akins) from the 70's and it wasn't bad at all.Briefly checked out a couple of movies from Crackle and besides the letterbox format the picture quality was very good.

I am very satisfied with the picture quality on Netflix and Amazon. They pay a lot of money for bandwidth and are amazingly engineered.

Other free channels you get what you pay for. Put the ABC stream from USTVNOW on the screen then look at the ABC station on Dish.

Having a fast Internet connection is great, however do a trace route and you will see multiple hops between you and the content server. Speed is only as fast as slowest link.

Also in heavy viewing periods even Netflix's servers can get bogged down. The Roku is a simple device that has a limited ability to smoothly buffer video. With adaptive streaming it just drops the picture quality down until the entire network can handle the stream without buffering.

Finally some members don't like watching shows in SD and most of what you get on the Roku is SD at best. Take the Roku for what it is and enjoy. I am very satisfied with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Finally some members don't like watching shows in SD and most of what you get on the Roku is SD at best. Take the Roku for what it is and enjoy. I am very satisfied with mine.
Most of what is available for the Roku may indeed be SD, or worse. However, the majority of what most users will choose to watch will be HD - Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Epix, HBO GO, etc. Big difference.

Wife just called me saying the Roku box was sticking outside of our mailbox. Too bad we just had a storm come through.... :(

Got it in the mail today. Called late last Monday night.

Very cool little box. Hooked it up with an HDMI cord and am watching a little clip of "Meet the Press" as a test. This is definitely HD quality! Looks way better than my SD Dish setup, ironically.

Great thing to essentially get as a gift from Dish. They hit this one out of the park as a customer relations move. Honestly, I wasn't sure it was really coming until I received it. Never had a company offer a free no-strings attached device like this that doesn't have to be used in conjunction with their service.

Just wait until you get it hooked up via HDMI, and view some HD content. You will be amazed that this tiny device can produce such a fantastic picture on a large flat screen TV via web streaming. DD5.1 too on some content.
I have been pretty impressed with mine as well. A definite step up the PQ scale compared to my other streaming devices.

I noticed that many are commenting about picture quality. If you are hooking up the Roku to your TV via HDMI, make sure to go into the settings and select 1080p if you have a 1080p HDTV. It was set (my guess at default) to 720p which also looks nice.

Kewl!

My biggest issue is going to be getting 5.1 sound.My old ht receiver has only spdif or digital coax inputs for 5.1.Looking at some analog l/r to spdif and coax adapters on amazon and ebay.Just not sure if they work very well.

New L/R Analog to Digital Coaxial RCA Optical Toslink Audio Converter | eBay

would like some opinions before I buy one.

No luck with a free Roku.
frown.gif
I was told I wasn't eligible because I was on Dish America. Got Cinemax half off for 6 months though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts