Digicipher II - Unscrambled channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't worry about a dead battery/scrambled ID,just put a new battery in it.The only thing the ID was for was to get subscription channels,you can't subscribe to anything anymore so it doesn't matter.A 4D with a bad ID will still get the "free" channels just fine,as long as there is nothing else wrong with it.I know because I have one.It does need a god battery to work,bad ID or not.
Will it pick up the DCII channels that go into free preview mode if it has lost its ID? If so id go ahead and pull the trigger on one in a heartbeat because they are starting to come way down in price.

hanks for the link, but that explained how to get the program to update the mappings, but what are the Mappings? IRDs? What does that mean?

The mappings are satellites and all the DC2 channels and analog channels that are in the receiver.
905/920/922 receivers can be remapped. Even the old 921 Canadian receivers can be remapped.
Those are the only receivers the map program works with.
When Motorola stopped doing the mappings there were many changes that were not made.
After searching the arc I located as many DC2 channels as possible using a commercial receiver to get the actual mappings.
This was then turned into a text file in a format that the receivers would understand.

Mapmaster will allow you to change a sat id when they put up a new satellite so your not left with old outdated names.

Like a channel editor? Does this mean, as is, you cannot modify this stuff.. So, if a channel changes locations or frequencies, you need this mapping software to update it?

It is not an editor program.
The mappings on the website are a text file so using notepad you can edit anything you want then send it to the receiver when your done.
The entire reason it was released was so if there were changes to any DC2 channels you could make the change yourself and send it to your receiver and immediately see those changes.
You are in control not someone else nor would you wait on others to do something you could do yourself.

You do need a BDM cable and all that info was posted on the site as to where you would get it.

Titanium posted a link that would get you to the one who will give you the link to the site.

The biggest item to remember is to follow the directions and not go off on your own way.

I hope this clears things up for you a bit more .

I've got a 920 that I changed the battery in a while ago, before subs with NPS went down the toilet. I've also had the files and instructions since the Mapmaster deal was released to the general public to remap, but, due to the cost of the BDM cable, the cost of a subscription with somewhat limited programming and so many other things to do with my multiple working FTA systems, I just never got around to doing anything with it. In fact, it's been sitting so long now that replacement battery may be dead?

I had traded Emails with someone on here a few years back about mailing mine to him to remap it for me but the round trip shipping cost killed that idea pretty quickly. Were I to find a "cheap" BDM somewhere I might consider doing something with it now though, just to say I did.

You can't just buy a BDM cable from someone who has used it , as it is linked/tied to the computer it was used on.

Catamount

Waylew, ZK and FK? I was sure that the UID was needed for FK. IRDS would receive ZK out of the box, but FK required subscription registration.

That was my understanding too. Once the box was authorized for anything then FK channels would work. Even if the box was no longer authorized for programming it would still work on FK services. When I had my first 905 this is exactly how it worked. I messed around with it trying various channels that were either fixed key or zero key and had the same results you posted. I would tend to believe any used DCII receivers out there have been previously authorized for programming at some point. It would be a rare indeed if a brand new out of the box one was out there and even if one was found, how would it ever get the authorization hit. I just searched and Skyvision that used to sell programming no longer does (shows how much I pay attention) and even commercial DCII IRD's worked the same way.

Waylew, ZK and FK? I was sure that the UID was needed for FK. IRDS would receive ZK out of the box, but FK required subscription registration.
Well I really couldn't say for certain,I never bothered checking when a channel was working whether it was FK or ZK.I know the DMX and MC used to work and the Discoveries,HBOs and others would pop in on occasion.Haven't really had the interest in playing with the dishes lately to see what may be there.Too many things to do and a limited attention span anymore.;)

Reactions: LocutusOfBorg
Last edited:
Reactions: iBoston
Haven't read about mapmaster for a few years. As I understood it, no the physical cable itself was okay. Then you had to dowload the software to use it. To use the software you were sent an activation key. This tied it to your computer. I'm sure I read this a few years back over at Rick's. Could be wrong on this, though

I still have the email with the activation number,I'm thinking if I needed to use a different puter I'd just have to put the number in that one.But not positive as I've never tried it and it's been quite a while since I've done any Mapmastering.

I still have the email with the activation number,I'm thinking if I needed to use a different puter I'd just have to put the number in that one.But not positive as I've never tried it and it's been quite a while since I've done any Mapmastering.

What software requires an authorization?

What software requires an authorization?
It's not the mapmaster software,that's free to use,it's the chip in the USB interface that needs to be authorized.
And to the best of my knowledge the only USB interface cable that works is the one made specifically for the 4DTV/Mapmaster program,USBBDM NT.

It's not the mapmaster software,that's free to use,it's the chip in the USB interface that needs to be authorized.
And to the best of my knowledge the only USB interface cable that works is the one made specifically for the 4DTV/Mapmaster program,USBBDM NT.

Wow, 65$ ... That's not cheap!

Reactions: Lone Gunman
Yeah,I got mine a few years ago when the South Americans were buying up 4DTVs,sold 2 922s,made over $700,so the cable paid for itself.:biggrin Wish that market was still there.

Are those cables still able to be found anywhere? I just was looking at a general instraments 922 for 20 bucks, and i asked to have them hook it up so i could verify the unit id and for now the battery is still holding (just hope its not leaking in there ye or has been changed). The guy knows nothing about it but offered it to me cause he knows i have satellite dishes.

I guess my 920 will just keep occupying space on my work bench out in the shop then. I may hook it up sometime in the future and see if the battery is still good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.