Digital Breakup on 101 C Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The V7 had a place to enter the satellite location, but I never entered it when I got the first one. Didn't seem to make a difference in the operation of the receiver.

In the editor? On screen it does but not in the editor. The longitude will make a difference if you ever go to use USALS.

Noticed a little peculiarity in the Tools menu on the Freesat V7. I went to backup the files onto a USB stick so naturally I selected All Files in the menu. Well odd as it may seem selecting All Files does not backup all the files, it leaves out the users DB file so you have to backup the DB separately. The other thing is, can someone tell me what the 1Gb file named timeshift.dat is?

I believe the timeshift.dat has to do with the recording feature. There's an option in the recording setup to select the time shift length. That's the only thing I know of that it would be used for. I think it gives you the ability to pause a live recording. I never set it up when I first got into recording movies I had company come to the door, and I had to stop the recording.

In the editor? On screen it does but not in the editor. The longitude will make a difference if you ever go to use USALS.

Yeah, I can see what that would be a problem when using a motor drive box. Mine is a separate Pansat drive box with it's own remote. I was disappointed that the Pansat box still has such a limited alphabet when choosing to name a satellite. It doesn't even have a G in the alphabet to name a Galaxy satellite, or a two digit number capability to call it Galaxy 16, 19, etc. In fact, it's missing most of the alphabet. It even has a couple of choices that aren't letters at all. I figured they would have remedied that problem since its been around a number of years. It's a useful club at best.

Even back in the C-Band early days, there were stand alone motor drive boxes that allowed you name the satellites with a letter and two number format. When I got out of the retail satellite business, I bet I threw away a hundred of the stand alone boxes, and god knows how many LNBF's. Never thought I'd need them again. I'd hate to guess how many 10 & 12 foot dishes that were taken down and sold for scrap. It's nearly impossible to find one now, and if you can, they'll give it to you to get it out of their yard. In fact, I'm going to look at a couple in a few minutes.

I called Luken about their programming a couple times (RetroTV) because the closest FTA was losing audio sync. They were HAPPY to assist due to the fact that someone was actually watching their ONE remaining Luken affiliate in SC at ALL!.(Channel 63, digital 39, aimed away from me BUT with enough of a footprint for me to watch West of their main pattern).

Some of us FTA viewers ARE their main audience. Local OTA is SOOOOO flaky overall, these secondary channels are NOT getting the bang for their buck anyway. Exceptions are the ONE channel (Channel 25, DIgital VHF channel 8) out of Columbia that has EXCELLENT coverage for This, MeTV, and QVC....

I've never called the broadcasters for any reason, (don't want to tip them off we are watching since these channels aren't for anyone other than their affiliates). I have these channels saved and I watch them on occasion, but other than Ozzie & Harriet and a few others, their programming has a lot to be desired. Their Beverly Hillbillies are so old the theme music is different than the later episodes. I do like Petticoat Junction though.

The old receiver I first had had a problem with the video on these channels starting and stopping, but newer receivers don't have that problem. A lot of Luken's programming is older programs I never heard of and I'm sixty one years old. Some of their horror movies is about as scary as some of the old Star Treks and the special effects leaves a lot to desire. In any case, they are a break from the modern day programming on some channels that's about as appealing as a bad dose of the flu. Holly-weird has really hit an all time low, especially the PC shows they have on now.

Just can't get into a show that features *************. I immediately switch channels when these come on. I've got into some shows that showed promise, and then *********************and ruined the whole show. Call old fashion or not politically correct, but this kind of programming turns my stomach as well as my wife's. It's why we gave Dish and DirecTV the boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 172 and fred555
I've never called the broadcasters for any reason, (don't want to tip them off we are watching since these channels aren't for anyone other than their affiliates). I have these channels saved and I watch them on occasion, but other than Ozzie & Harriet and a few others, their programming has a lot to be desired. Their Beverly Hillbillies are so old the theme music is different than the later episodes. I do like Petticoat Junction though.

The old receiver I first had had a problem with the video on these channels starting and stopping, but newer receivers don't have that problem. A lot of Luken's programming is older programs I never heard of and I'm sixty one years old. Some of their horror movies is about as scary as some of the old Star Treks and the special effects leaves a lot to desire. In any case, they are a break from the modern day programming on some channels that's about as appealing as a bad dose of the flu. Holly-weird has really hit an all time low, especially the PC shows they have on now.

Just can't get into a show that features lesbians and gays. I immediately switch channels when these come on. I've got into some shows that showed promise, and then the gays started popping out and ruined the whole show. Call old fashion or not politically correct, but this kind of programming turns my stomach as well as my wife's. It's why we gave Dish and DirecTV the boot.

I dropped Directv because I got tired of News, Comedies, Dramas, or what have you, all having to be some political soapbox with a message. Did not want to pay for any of that any more.

I love all the old shows that have a moral message, Opie learned some good lessons and even got a whippin' at times too when he deserved it!

I would not have pay tv back at all, even if you paid me. I love FTA and the Retro goodness to be found there.

Reactions: . Raine and FTA4PA
I scanned in G19 (99W) C-band with the Freesat V7 this morning and everything scanned in and locked just fine. However, the audio breakup on Grit makes it nearly impossible to watch. It's almost like the audio is a different bit-rate than the video. The audio on all the other channels is fine. I'll scan Ku after lunch.

....... the audio breakup on Grit makes it nearly impossible to watch. It's almost like the audio is a different bit-rate than the video. The audio on all the other channels is fine.......

I have the same problem with my new V7 Max, but not just with Grit, but with Laff and Bounce (I didn't think to check to see if the other channels on that MUX are doing the same). It is intermittent on Bounce, but nearly constant on Laff and Grit. Seems like every third word just disappears.

Maybe there is a way to change the audio settings, but I haven't been able to figure it out.... the manual leaves much to be desired.

I just opened my second HDVR 3500, hooked it up and it loaded all the channels from the other receiver just fine. As I said before, I am kind of new at FTA, so some of my questions may seem stupid to some of the "old timers" :) in here, but you guys have been patient and a big help. I still have a problem with one channel. I have entered and re-entered the PID information on the Buzzr channel and I cannot get the audio to work. I have a picture, but that's it. I've used every audio format listed in the menu and nothing.

I had to manually enter all the others, and they work fine. Unless I have overlooked it, but I cannot find the Service ID on any of the lists. I also notice that they don't list the video compression on most either. Do you by any chance have a complete list of the PID information for Buzzr, along with the compression for the audio and video and the service ID. I'm not sure how important the Service ID is, but I've guessed at a few and they worked. I'm not much on game shows, but the wife is. I'd appreciate any help I can get to get this channels working.

I also ran into one of those either/or situations with the Freesat V7 and the HDVR 3500. The 3500 doesn't have the audio stutter on Grit and some of the other channels in that package, but it won't lock on H&I, Decades and the others. The Freesat V7 locks H&I, Decades and the others, but it stutters on Grit and the others. Not sure what's going on with that, but since we watch Grit and the others more than H&I etc, it's not a big issue.

I'm still considering purchasing one of the Cisco receivers listed on Rainer Satellite's website. I hate to spend that much money only to find it does the same thing.
My cisco from rainier will not lock H&I and Decades , running off the same lnb the freesat v7 locks them with no problems, the pq on the cisco is first class, I have had the cisco for 11 months the lack of channels available for subscription is a bummer.Still waiting for rollout of channels. Beginning to have my doubts though.

For discussion of a nature other than technical details,

1. Sign up for a Pub Membership:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/account/upgrades

2. Opt into "Access the to PIT"
Supporting Pub Members can get access to the only forum on SatelliteGuys which allows Political Discussion... "The Pit!"
Moderated By: Scott Greczkowski

http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/account/join-user-groups

All opinions are welcome in the PIT for discussion and debate.

Sometimes however its like: :computerwindow

Agreed, let's stay on topic and take other topics elsewhere or to the PIT. ;)

Reactions: fred555
thanks waveman for your topic

I have seen much TI in my day; button sized dishes call it noise. When the signal to noise ratio is determined using something called a spectrum analyzer, then a solution can be made. However, my microHD has a heating problem; i took the board out of the box to cool it down, and it (the tuner) works much better. Out of the box; my hdvr1200 in manufacturing quality has been better. I have a 7.9' dish with non-pll 3.4 - 4.2; it works great out in the countryside where no ti exists anymore. When i take the same equipment into the cities of the Pacific Northwest; international boater's use a interfering radar (illegally); and the 3g/4g stack of Internet providers today have circular bandwidth's terrestrially aimed from their clients to their towers (and back to them) and my signal level goes to a 90 formulation; and it will not even lock. So use a 3.7-4.2 with the active filters from titanium, I would say; but the fact is that it is a circular progression; and not a linear one like in the old days; and the equipment is put in all around each little broadcast area; type area's they will not work on/in; no lock; but a blippy one if any. A 12 foot dish you say? Shield the dish install from all them directions? No, a real non-active filter is required in addition? Yes. And it is a circular one in three colors; red, white, and blue? Attenuate, attenuate, attenuate? Y It does not wave in the wind either is when a 20 mph gust hits your dish; it will blip anyways (and the dish waves in the wind; moving the focused dish off 1/4 inch (my 7.9' alum. solid is weak against wind; and my wind pushes and waves my dish in the wind; and my picture blips so i would dig a hole and bury it to get rid of this blipping if i could but i cannot dig a hole in the rock it is in).. And using my home; and all types of fencing does leep the wind to a min.....

Last edited:
I dropped Directv because I got tired of News, Comedies, Dramas, or what have you, all having to be some political soapbox with a message. Did not want to pay for any of that any more.

I love all the old shows that have a moral message, Opie learned some good lessons and even got a whippin' at times too when he deserved it!

I would not have pay tv back at all, even if you paid me. I love FTA and the Retro goodness to be found there.

Fred, you and I are on the same page with the programming. I hate these new shows. The only message most of them have is PC garbage. The only two channels I really miss on Dish or DirecTV is AMC and Fox Movie Network. Ole Charlie at Dish used to make fun of the BUD demise during the dealer seminars, now with the introduction of FIOS and the other delivery formats, Dish, DirecTV and Cable stands to be the next "Dinosaur" as he called the BUD's. As they say, what goes around comes around. We'll see what's over the horizon shortly.

One thing's for certain, satellite broadcast will be around for quite a while.

My cisco from rainier will not lock H&I and Decades , running off the same lnb the freesat v7 locks them with no problems, the pq on the cisco is first class, I have had the cisco for 11 months the lack of channels available for subscription is a bummer.Still waiting for rollout of channels. Beginning to have my doubts though.

Hammrodd, that's interesting. Considering the price of the Cisco receiver, I would never have expected that. I find it interesting that a $26 dollar Chinese receiver can lock them when an expensive one cannot. I have 2 of the V7's that will get H&I and the other channels just fine, when it has a stutter in the audio on Grit and some of the others on that satellite. If we could get the best of both worlds, we'd be set.

thanks waveman for your topic

I have seen much TI in my day; button sized dishes call it noise. When the signal to noise ratio is determined using something called a spectrum analyzer, then a solution can be made. However, my microHD has a heating problem; i took the board out of the box to cool it down, and it (the tuner) works much better. Out of the box; my hdvr1200 in manufacturing quality has been better. I have a 7.9' dish with non-pll 3.4 - 4.2; it works great out in the countryside where no ti exists anymore. When i take the same equipment into the cities of the Pacific Northwest; international boater's use a interfering radar (illegally); and the 3g/4g stack of Internet providers today have circular bandwidth's terrestrially aimed from their clients to their towers (and back to them) and my signal level goes to a 90 formulation; and it will not even lock. So use a 3.7-4.2 with the active filters from titanium, I would say; but the fact is that it is a circular progression; and not a linear one like in the old days; and the equipment is put in all around each little broadcast area; type area's they will not work on/in; no lock; but a blippy one if any. A 12 foot dish you say? Shield the dish install from all them directions? No, a real non-active filter is required in addition? Yes. And it is a circular one in three colors; red, white, and blue? Attenuate, attenuate, attenuate? Y It does not wave in the wind either is when a 20 mph gust hits your dish; it will blip anyways (and the dish waves in the wind; moving the focused dish off 1/4 inch (my 7.9' alum. solid is weak against wind; and my wind pushes and waves my dish in the wind; and my picture blips so i would dig a hole and bury it to get rid of this blipping if i could but i cannot dig a hole in the rock it is in).. And using my home; and all types of fencing does leep the wind to a min.....

Richy, I am fortunate to live where I do. No microwave towers, military or maritime interference in this area. I have mountains on all four sides, and a clear shot below the old Satcom C1 satellite location and I am clear on the east all the way to the mountains, which is well into the eastern arc.

Other than hatred...what does this have to do with Digital Breakup on 101 C Band? Please keep on topic or take your hate to the FridgeFTA
Pacific,

Pacific, I'll admit I strayed off topic and I apologize, but just for the record, there's no hatred involved. Just my opinion. If you'd rather I leave, please let me know. In fact, I was seriously considering becoming a supporting member, but judging from your post, I get the impression I'm no longer welcome. I certainly hope not. A lot of good people in here. I'll leave that decision up to you.

Pacific,

Pacific, I'll admit I strayed off topic and I apologize, but just for the record, there's no hatred involved. Just my opinion. If you'd rather I leave, please let me know. In fact, I was seriously considering becoming a supporting member, but judging from your post, I get the impression I'm no longer welcome. I certainly hope not. A lot of good people in here. I'll leave that decision up to you.

No need to leave, There is a lot of crap on modern TV but there are some that strangely enjoy it, to each his own.
Please become a member and join in the fun! I will buy you a beer in the pit!

Reactions: wvman and . Raine
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)