Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Check out this link:

DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

The link to Cyberlink (software maker) is not up yet, but the fact that it is on DirecTV's site should indicate that it may be soon. :)

IcedOmega13 posted earlier today that the link was up over at dbstalk.

This is the software program that allows you to view recordings, SD & HD, via a PC, with no loss of quality. It will only work via a home network.

This is not like a slingbox, there is no remote viewing, just over the local network.

The viewing is as good as your monitor and computer power is capable of. Clearly, to do HD, you'll need a high end computer.

Here is a screen capture in case the page is pulled.

Attachments

• directv2pc.jpg
    directv2pc.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,711
Is that "other" satellite company ever going to have any cool features like this or the online scheduling? Yet another reason to switch to D*. :(

So does this mean that for now, us MAC users are left out, or is it MAC compatible. Not that it really matters, since I can get it on my desktop, but I was just curious. I could not find any info on the CL site!

FYI, Link is still broken

This will be nice to use. I have Directv being installed on 10-30. Cant wait for Sunday Ticket and Center Ice. My new Dell laptop is HD so It will be nice to watch it on there or desktop with a 19".

Link is still broken.

Anyone tried yet? Need more detail. From the D* description it seems the streaming will not have any impact on how the HDDVR is viewed by its own TV, meaning it does not use up one "tuner". Also it is not sure if the PC can stream from any one of several HDDVRs on the network.

It also does not mention PC requirement for HD viewing.

But it is certainly a great feature. I will in fact try it on my PC as soon as I get a chance. It is hooked up with all my HR21s already.

It just plays recordings off the hard drive. Has no affect on the use of the HR2x, it can still record two things, download vod, and view live or recorded programs.

It does require a wired ethernet connection or wireless bridge. For HD, I'd recomend wired connections, just because of how much data is moving.

Again, the link is not available on Cyberlink's site yet.

At this point, everything is speculation of a public beta coming very soon based on the site on Directv.com

Anyone tried yet? Need more detail. From the D* description it seems the streaming will not have any impact on how the HDDVR is viewed by its own TV, meaning it does not use up one "tuner". Also it is not sure if the PC can stream from any one of more several HDDVRs on the network.

It also does not mention PC requirement for HD viewing.

It doesn't tie up a tuner since you can only use it to view recorded content, not live. But you can start up a recording and then watch it while it's being recorded. However you can't do that via the application, you'd have to start the recording on the DVR or via the D* website remote scheduling.

The PC application does allow you to select which HD DVR you're 'connected' to for viewing content.

As for the PC requirements, I can't use a P4 2.66Ghz desktop system for HD, it pegs the CPU at 100% but does work just fine for SD content.

I have a P4 3.2ghz L2 cache 2mb. i hope that's enough. i can't wait to use this feature!

It would be cool if we could install the software on our other DVR's in the home. It would be like Whole Home DVR service from 1 primary DVR. I'm gonna check this out tonight when I get home from work.

I agree. Interested to know what the cost will be. I was so pumped when I saw this link, now just need Cyberlink to offer it up! :)

I have a P4 3.2ghz L2 cache 2mb. i hope that's enough. i can't wait to use this feature!

A decent video card is probably more important than your processor, but the processor you listed there should be good.

This is probably the best Directv news I've heard in a while. I don't have an HDTV so I record quite a bit OTA HD content on my PC and watch it later either on it or on my laptop. In fact, I only watch local stations over the air because I want the HD. This will definitely entice me to upgrade to the HD signal and DVR so I can enjoy more HD content before I finally spring for the TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts