DirecTV admits to incorrect billing for RSNs

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Really ?
You get your RSN regardless, why would it not be included ?

So, if I dropped down to a package that doesn't include the local RSNs and added the Sports package, I would get all the RSNs EXCEPT my own ?
No, Don't listen to these guys.

If what they claim was True, Directv would allow RSNs to be optional on all packages.

Having the Sports pack gives you all the RSNs, always has for years and years.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Again, the RSNs are unique in that it isn't just a channel you subscribe to -- you can have the channel but individual games aired in the RSNs have another layer of subscriptions.

The Sports Pack doesn't authorize viewing MLB, NBA, or NHL games on any of the RSNs, which are the sports leagues that add the bulk of the expense to the channels in the first place.

33408695721_b88a1863e0_c.jpg
Thats not true.
Directv can not Black out games.
Directv can put channels into a Higher package yes, Directv can also say what package you can and can't add the sports package too.

But they can't turn off and on games .
They are not Authorized to do such unless it falls under a blackout rules.

If you get the channel, and you are in market. You get the content.
RSN fee is only 4 years old.

They have you by the balls because they don't give you an opt out with Choice, Xtra, Ultimate, Or Premier .

Thats where the trouble comes in.
If you have these packages, there is absolutely Zero reason they should still charge you for both services.
They do it because they can, Not because its required for game access.
What if I want MLB EI, because I don't like my In market teams?
So I still have to pay $165 and $7.29 per month?
If it wasn't a Scam, they would let you opt out every package.

That's a Rip Off...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo
I didn't, but mostly because it worked exactly how I expected it to work. It was the same deal with Dish and the Multi-sport pack when I had them a decade ago.

College sports. Particularly if the college you want to follow isn't local.
If I'm not mistaken, those games come in in the clear on game days, regardless of the sports pack.
I never had the SP, but watched a lot of those games ... that said, its been years since I was watching them, so things may have changed.

Reactions: Troch77
My recollection is that the Sports Pack will get you all those RSNs but the only live sports you'll see are college games that are not specifically contracted to another dedicated channel, like to ABC/Fox etc. for example. The only way you'll see pro games on those Sports Pack RSN channels is if you subscribe to that particular league package such as MLB-EI and what ever they call the NBA and NHL packages, SpaethCo's Venn diagram visualizes this. What you will get on those Sports Pack channels is all the non-live sports(major sports) content like the talk shows and pre-game shows, etc.

Thats not true.
Directv can not Black out games.
Directv can put channels into a Higher package yes, Directv can also say what package you can and can't add the sports package too.

They are not Authorized to do such unless it falls under a blackout rules.

If you get the channel, and you are in market. You get the content.
RSN fee is only 4 years old.

They have you by the balls because they don't give you an opt out with Choice, Xtra, Ultimate, Or Premier .

Thats where the trouble comes in.
If you have these packages, there is absolutely Zero reason they should still charge you for both services.
They do it because they can, Not because its required for game access.
What if I want MLB EI, because I don't like my In market teams?
So I still have to pay $165 and $7.29 per month?

If it wasn't a Scam, they would let you opt out every package.

That's a Rip Off...

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
I'll give you an example that proves you wrong. I'm in the SF bay area and my local RSNs are CSNBA and CSNCA, Giants and Warriors on CSNBA and A's and Kings on CSNCA. My basic programming package is Family and it does not include CSNBA/CSNCA. I have the MLB-EI(or will when I turn it back on in a few days) so I can watch Dodger games. I cannot watch either CSNBA or CSNCA with that MLB-EI package, those channels are not tunable for me because I don't have those channels in my basic programming package.

I do not pay any RSN fee because I do not have my local RSNs in my basic programming package. I pay only the $165 for MLB-EI and zero for any RSN fee.

I'll give you an example that proves you wrong. I'm in the SF bay area and my local RSNs are CSNBA and CSNCA, Giants and Warriors on CSNBA and A's and Kings on CSNCA. My basic programming package is Family and it does not include CSNBA/CSNCA. I have the MLB-EI(or will when I turn it back on in a few days) so I can watch Dodger games. I cannot watch either CSNBA or CSNCA with that MLB-EI package, those channels are not tunable for me because I don't have those channels in my basic programming package.

I do not pay any RSN fee because I do not have my local RSNs in my basic programming package. I pay only the $165 for MLB-EI and zero for any RSN fee.

Thats proves nothing.
As I said thats Directv decision to have those channels in your Basepackage.
If you subscribed to the sports pack, you would have all the RSNs .

But I'm bored and tired of Paying Directv, so after 11 years, I cut ties.
Paid over $4000 for Commercial NFL Sunday ticket, Over $3000 on MLB EI and they Still had the balls to add that $7.29 fee.

My commercial establishment is now supported by Cable.
But cost way less,with CSN PHILLY, MSG,MSG+,YES ,SNY, MLB EI, NHL CI. More than enough Pro football and college football, And no Bogus First receiver fees, or RSN fees.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

The moral of the story is how screwed up Direct was in charging different RSN fees to zip codes that are next door to each other. Minneapolis was a good example, the city is divided into multiple zip codes and some were charged near $8.00 and just down the street that changed to a different zip the subs would be charged nothing. Nice catch and getting Directv to admit it was a "software" problem. Is this a first time for Directv on this issue?. Maybe their billing server did a Windows update that broke it. :coco

Reactions: Jimbo and Troch77
Of course they can.

This is exactly how the out of market sports packages work (MLB Extra Innings, Center Ice, League Pass).

If you could just add the $10-13/mo sport pack and get those games, everyone would do that instead.

They do indeed authorize on a game by game basis, at least for the large professional leagues.

Reactions: keenan
Of course they can.

This is exactly how the out of market sports packages work (MLB Extra Innings, Center Ice, League Pass).

If you could just add the $10-13/mo sport pack and get those games, everyone would do that instead.

They do indeed authorize on a game by game basis, at least for the large professional leagues.
Blackout rules are determined by the leagues.
Not the provider.
The rules are set.

You keep bringing up Out of market.

SPORTS PACK isn't an out of market package.
Stop referring to it like it has anything to do with your In market locals and RSNs.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Thats proves nothing.
As I said thats Directv decision to have those channels in your Basepackage.
If you subscribed to the sports pack, you would have all the RSNs .

But I'm bored and tired of Paying Directv, so after 11 years, I cut ties.
Paid over $4000 for Commercial NFL Sunday ticket, Over $3000 on MLB EI and they Still had the balls to add that $7.29 fee.

My commercial establishment is now supported by Cable.
But cost way less,with CSN PHILLY, MSG,MSG+,YES ,SNY, MLB EI, NHL CI. More than enough Pro football and college football, And no Bogus First receiver fees, or RSN fees.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
What cable company do you have that doesn't charge an RSN fee?

Of course they can.

Directv does not turn games on and off, they don't make that call, the perspective leagues do that.
D* is just the middle man, the league is the beginning and they are the ones that say what will be shown where.

Every game that is listed in the guide is available somewhere or it wouldn't be being shown.

Blackout rules are determined by the leagues.
Not the provider.
The rules are set.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Correct, the blackout rules are set by the league. And DirecTV adheres to those rules by blacking out the games, the channel itself doesn't black them out as it would be blacked out nationally.

Correct, the blackout rules are set by the league. And DirecTV adheres to those rules by blacking out the games, the channel itself doesn't black them out as it would be blacked out nationally.
Correct.
Directv can't black out your Local games, because you decided you didn't want the choice package or above, Instead you wanted Select and the Sports pack.
Your games would still be viewable.
It would be illegal for them to turn off your feed for your in market team because they want to.

But what they can do, is not allow you to add the Sports pack to Family,Select,Entertainment packs.
Which is exactly what Dish does with its Flex pack.
You can't add Multisports pack to it.

But you can add a $10 Regional action pack, that only gives you your local teams and a few other sports channels, but no out of market RSNs.

You have to subscribe to a Higher package.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I'm thinking all those fees are in there but not broken down seeing its a Commercial account hes talking about.
Well of Course they are built in.
If Directv built theirs in, They wouldn't look good to the competition.
So they Hide them until your about ready to sign the dotted line.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Well of Course they are built in.
If Directv built theirs in, They wouldn't look good to the competition.
So they Hide them until your about ready to sign the dotted line.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
But you had said above that there were no RSN fees, which I believe has been the point you've been trying to make here and as it turns out you're paying them with your new service as well.

This was so much easier when they just gave you the cost, you paid it if its what you wanted and was done with it.
Now that everything is broke down (so others can officially get thier share) its all arguments and complaints !

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)