DirecTV and OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PAHOKIE77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
South East PA
I have had DirecTV for over 15 years and have gone from the round to the oval (3 LNB) dish for HD (when it was first available). When HD went to the AT-9 and the Slimline, I never made the transition. This was primarily due to the need to have separate lines for the HD and OTA (very difficult to have separate lines at my house). Is there a way to receive HD from DirecTV and use a single distribution line for both DirecTV and OTA? I currently have the H-20 DirecTV receivers.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Unfortunately there is not. The 99 and 103 satellites use the same frequencies as OTA, and if you are using a SWM system, the networking signal uses those same frequencies.

However, iot is possible that D* has your locals on thier Sat system now .... not sure what market your in, but you do get locals now with most packages (maybe all packages now).

There are actually quite a few stations you can't get over the air in Chicago with just the satellite feeds. The AM-21 receives about 80% of available OTA channels so that isn't even a great solution. The AM-21 channel list was updated once in 2008 and I don't think it has been touched since. Suffice to say it is quite inaccurate. It does NOT just use the current Tribune Media/Zap2it channel listings which would help. It uses that list from years back.

There are actually quite a few stations you can't get over the air in Chicago with just the satellite feeds. The AM-21 receives about 80% of available OTA channels so that isn't even a great solution. The AM-21 channel list was updated once in 2008 and I don't think it has been touched since. Suffice to say it is quite inaccurate. It does NOT just use the current Tribune Media/Zap2it channel listings which would help. It uses that list from years back.

I know the OP said he doesn't have an HR34, but the 34 scans once you hook an OTA antenna and AM21 up to it, so even if a channel is not on the channel list you can still get it on your receiver, you just don't get guide data

I know the OP said he doesn't have an HR34, but the 34 scans once you hook an OTA antenna and AM21 up to it, so even if a channel is not on the channel list you can still get it on your receiver, you just don't get guide data

which for some markets is a great feature. Here in Minneapolis we have MeTV but its not in the database so even though it says "regular programming" for the guide you can still set manual timers :)

Thanks for the feed back. DTV does have some locals (5 channels) but I can get about 70 channels OTA (I can get PA, MD and DC stations). Therfore, I do not want to just get the DTV locals and lose my OTA. I guess I will stay with my current set-up until DTV comes up with a better system. I am still hopping there will be a wireless DTV receiver some time in the future. Until that happens I can use my current wiring for distribution of OTA and DTV (non HD). I do not have access to cable or FIOS either.

Thanks for the feed back. DTV does have some locals (5 channels) but I can get about 70 channels OTA (I can get PA, MD and DC stations). Therfore, I do not want to just get the DTV locals and lose my OTA. I guess I will stay with my current set-up until DTV comes up with a better system. I am still hopping there will be a wireless DTV receiver some time in the future. Until that happens I can use my current wiring for distribution of OTA and DTV (non HD). I do not have access to cable or FIOS either.

If your waiting for a better OTA set up with D*, good luck.
They actually did away with the OTA tuners in the recvrs quite awhile back .... I was not a happy camper as I used it all the time.
The OTA comes in handy during bad weather.

Last edited:
Unfortunately there is not. The 99 and 103 satellites use the same frequencies as OTA, and if you are using a SWM system, the networking signal uses those same frequencies.
Sorry, not actually true. You are correct about 99/103, but not about SWM unless you have Whole Home (the DECA frequency band overlaps OTA but SWM itself does not). With SWM, if you use the right diplexers you can carry DirecTV and OTA on the same cable. Not recommended by DirecTV, but it works fine if you know what you are doing. .

Why not just get the HR34, set up two of the DMAs of locals with the AM21 that have the most channels AND have the Directv provided locals be half the listings for that DMA. So you'd have two and a half DMAs of listings. That would minimize the number of "Regular Schedule" channels.

Sorry, not actually true. You are correct about 99/103, but not about SWM unless you have Whole Home (the DECA frequency band overlaps OTA but SWM itself does not). With SWM, if you use the right diplexers you can carry DirecTV and OTA on the same cable. Not recommended by DirecTV, but it works fine if you know what you are doing. .

Currently, I use a diplexer to connect OTA and D* into a single line and at the end of the line I use a diplexer to split the signal and connect OTA to the Antennae In and D* to D* In on the D* receiver. Are you saying I could do the same using the slimline dish and SWM, but the diplexer used is different? Do you know what kind of diplexer is required? Has anyone done this?

Currently, I use a diplexer to connect OTA and D* into a single line and at the end of the line I use a diplexer to split the signal and connect OTA to the Antennae In and D* to D* In on the D* receiver. Are you saying I could do the same using the slimline dish and SWM, but the diplexer used is different? Do you know what kind of diplexer is required? Has anyone done this?

I use an SL3-SWM and combiner/diplexer right now. I'll find my model numbers shortly.

believe it's a Channel Master 4002 combiner, and Channel Master 4001IFD diplexers. Not made anymore, but you can double check specs/frequencies needed, at least.

Yes, I ran like this for six months until I got "whole home". Whole home using DECA technology will NOT work with diplexed OTA but SWM on its own will work.
I am pretty sure these were the ones I used. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...e-/-off-air-diplexer-power-passing-(std-9501)

Thanks. I will look into these diplexers. They are different than the ones I am currently using. I do have access to a slimline dish that is on my son's house. He switched to cable and no longer uses the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts