DirecTV and Smart TV's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fistfullofbeer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
I currently have an older 46 inch Sony which I am planning on replacing with a 60 inch Samsung Smart TV (Samsung UN60F8000). I am hoping you guys can give me some help with my question(s):

- I have never had a Smart TV before and am not sure how the integration with DirecTV (or any other cable/satellite provider) works. i.e how does it read the channels to make suggestions, recommendations, etc?

- I currently have 3 receivers: HR-24, HR-22 and H25. I am currently due for an equipment upgrade as well. Would I need to go to a HR34 Genie to be able to make any use of the TV's 'Smart' features for recommendations, etc? Or will my current receivers serve the purpose?

What do you really need to make the most out of a 'Smart' TV?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

An internet connection. The "Smart" TV means it has apps built in like Netflix and Amazon.

The Internet connection is really not a problem in the sense that I have a wired connection (via a switch/router setup) to all my devices around my TV (PS3, XBOX 360, DirecTV box, etc.)

A youtube video showcasing the tv, shows that it has features which let you see:

- how many minutes of shows matching your interests are currently remaining
- how many minutes till the next show matching your interest starts playing

My guess is that it gets that kind of information from your DirecTV, cable, satellite box. Just not sure how it does it. I am totally unaware of the integration with those devices. The netflix, amazon part I understand.

Thanks.

I guess my core question would really be, 'Do I need a newer Genie based DirecTV device to make the most of my Smart TV or will my HR-22/24 serve the purpose?'.

I guess my core question would really be, 'Do I need a newer Genie based DirecTV device to make the most of my Smart TV or will my HR-22/24 serve the purpose?'.

Any model will do the tv justice. Like said, a "smart tv" has built in apps and such. Run a cat5 cable from your router to your tv and run the setup. The smart tv doesn't do anything for your satellite or cable provider

I am pretty sure that model has RVU. if so you could use it as a client for a Genie and I would then assume that the "On TV" feature of the Smart TV would work as advertised. Also it should be wifi so a ethernet cable most likely would not be required.

There are two different things, SmartTV itself does not do anything with DirecTV, it's just an internet hub for applications like YouTube, Pandora and Hulu Plus. Very useful though. But some Samsung TVs are RVU-enabled, this allows them to be connected to the Genie as a server and means the Tv will work on DirecTV without any additional boxes. Essentially the TV works like the C31/41 Genie clients. According to the RVU allaince web site, the TV Samsung UN60F8000 is RVU-capable so that could be a useful feature. But I don't know to what extent the DirecTV data is integrated into things like suggestions using the SmartTV features.

Here is a question,because maybe I missed this answer being given long ago. How do you connect an RVU-enabled TV to the Genie system? Do you just connect the coaxial cable to the TV & it works like that,& would you need a DECA adapter for internet connection?

Here is a question,because maybe I missed this answer being given long ago. How do you connect an RVU-enabled TV to the Genie system? Do you just connect the coaxial cable to the TV & it works like that,& would you need a DECA adapter for internet connection?

Run coax to a deca then deca to cat5/6 cable into the port on the tv. Problem is is when you hook up the RVu tv's and they don't have a secondary port of Ethernet you lose to smart tv functions built in like the apps and such

Run coax to a deca then deca to cat5/6 cable into the port on the tv. Problem is is when you hook up the RVu tv's and they don't have a secondary port of Ethernet you lose to smart tv functions built in like the apps and such

I guess that if I got the Samsung TV that I wanted,I could use the WiFi connection for Smart TV functions,I'd just have to keep switching between WiFi & ethernet connection. Also,you only need to connect the ethernet part of the DECA adapter to the TV,not the coaxial part also?

With my LG Smart TV, connected by HDMI, the input will display "DIRECTV" (or something like that). You can get a weird on-screen Directv remote. It might be trying to get guide data, not sure... but it always says "No data provided". That's about it. There is also a "Directv2PC Media Server" input on the TV, but it doesn't do anything.

With my LG Smart TV, connected by HDMI, the input will display "DIRECTV" (or something like that). You can get a weird on-screen Directv remote. It might be trying to get guide data, not sure... but it always says "No data provided". That's about it. There is also a "Directv2PC Media Server" input on the TV, but it doesn't do anything.

I can understand what Hutch posted,I'm just curious if you would still need to hook the coaxial cable part of the DECA adapter to the TV? I mean,the TV is acting like a Genie client,wouldn't you hook it up like a client(with the exception of also needing a DECA adapter for internet connection)?

I can understand what Hutch posted,I'm just curious if you would still need to hook the coaxial cable part of the DECA adapter to the TV? I mean,the TV is acting like a Genie client,wouldn't you hook it up like a client(with the exception of also needing a DECA adapter for internet connection)?

Nope, the signal is delivered through Ethernet port so no need for coax going to it. I guess you could use the wifi option for the apps and such but I'd think that would be a hassle. Most people's blu-ray players and gaming devices do everything a smart tv would do so going that route wouldn't be too bad I wouldn't think

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)