DIRECTV Announces New HD!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
hmmmm, well, ok...if 24 hour RSN's are what you live by. Those account for 27 channels. Also, take away Telefutura and Univision...another 2. Also take away 101 which is Directv's channel. That takes Directv's number down to 131. Also they show ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX East & West...fudge! ...like any sub can call up and have those added!

I don't jump up and down when DISH shows the SD version of a local baseball game that's available in HD, quite the opposite. On the other hand take away those 24/7 hd RSNs and Directv has a long way to go to even come close to what DISH now offers (BBC AMERICA, E!, EPIX1-2, FOX SOCCER CHANNEL, G4, ID, DIY, HISTORY INT'L,HLN, INDIE, LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK, LOGO, NAT GEO WILD, RETRO, SHORTS, STYLE, TRUTV, TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES...). A lot of talk about DISHs HD Lite...on a 46" set... compare Directv to DISH...can't see any difference. And the SD channels on DISH often look better than the same channel on Directv...I said often, not always.

Bravo to Directv for MLB and their "local on the 8s". Hopefully, with their new sat they can catch up with their national HD offerings.

Well, seeing your using your opinion of whats worthy and whats not ...:rolleyes:

I for one see NO REASON to NOT count the RSN's, they are channels in HD available to everyone.

As for the list you posted on DISH Net
(BBC AMERICA, E!, EPIX1-2, FOX SOCCER CHANNEL, G4, ID, DIY, HISTORY INT'L,HLN, INDIE, LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK, LOGO, NAT GEO WILD, RETRO, SHORTS, STYLE, TRUTV, TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES...)

I see NOTHING in that list that would make me want ANY of them either.

As I have said all along, I would rather have QUALITY over quantity ANY DAY.

Well, seeing your using your opinion of whats worthy and whats not ...:rolleyes:

I for one see NO REASON to NOT count the RSN's, they are channels in HD available to everyone.

(BBC AMERICA, E!, EPIX1-2, FOX SOCCER CHANNEL, G4, ID, DIY, HISTORY INT'L,HLN, INDIE, LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK, LOGO, NAT GEO WILD, RETRO, SHORTS, STYLE, TRUTV, TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES...)

I would not mind the ones I bolded, one day with Direct, hopefully next week or the 26th? we will have Travel and ESPNU!

In fairness, all of the listed HD channels on DISH aren't available in all packages. I for one don't see much difference in price...about $80+ a month for either one...and I see no difference in quality of picture in an hd feed side by side.

hmmmm, well, ok...if 24 hour RSN's are what you live by. Those account for 27 channels. Also, take away Telefutura and Univision...another 2. Also take away 101 which is Directv's channel. That takes Directv's number down to 131. Also they show ABC,CBS,NBC,FOX East & West...fudge! ...like any sub can call up and have those added!

I don't jump up and down when DISH shows the SD version of a local baseball game that's available in HD, quite the opposite. On the other hand take away those 24/7 hd RSNs and Directv has a long way to go to even come close to what DISH now offers (BBC AMERICA, E!, EPIX1-2, FOX SOCCER CHANNEL, G4, ID, DIY, HISTORY INT'L,HLN, INDIE, LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK, LOGO, NAT GEO WILD, RETRO, SHORTS, STYLE, TRUTV, TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES...). A lot of talk about DISHs HD Lite...on a 46" set... compare Directv to DISH...can't see any difference. And the SD channels on DISH often look better than the same channel on Directv...I said often, not always.

Bravo to Directv for MLB and their "local on the 8s". Hopefully, with their new sat they can catch up with their national HD offerings.

With their new satellite I am sure Directv will add many of the channels you mention that Dish has now. I would like some of them, some not so much. You miss the point, though. All that really matters to me is which one has the channels that I want, not which one has more hd channels. For me, Directv has the YES network and Dish doesn't. End of story! If Dish ever got YES, I might consider changing providers, but then other factors would come into play, like picture quality, customer service, equipment quality and equipment charges, etc.

With their new satellite I am sure Directv will add many of the channels you mention that Dish has now. I would like some of them, some not so much. You miss the point, though. All that really matters to me is which one has the channels that I want, not which one has more hd channels. For me, Directv has the YES network and Dish doesn't. End of story! If Dish ever got YES, I might consider changing providers, but then other factors would come into play, like picture quality, customer service, equipment quality and equipment charges, etc.

Same here. It all depends on one's programming preferences is, sports, premium movie channels, national networks. DTV is the clear winner in the sports genre with YES, MLB EI, ST, and the RSN's.

I have a 1080p 50" Panny Plasma and sit about 8.5 ft from the screen. I've often wondered about this "HD lite" discussion and I don't know if I could see the difference with an A/B DTV-Dish comparison. However, with the Sports coverage on DTV, I'll probably never see the comparison.

I will say that I was surprised that Dish doesn't carry YES or MLB EI. I consider those 2 items as major considerations within the Sports choices. I'm assuming that there are price issues between Dish and MLB/YES that prevents Dish from carrying those services.

It won't be the 26th. It has been told by SatelliteRacer that it will be next week.

The five channels in questions are appearing as test channels in the uplink data.

Fingers crossed looking foward to it!!

Same here. The only thing that matters too me are the channels I want. With the exception of a couple, I never watch any of those channels listed

Cool, thats better yet !

Just visited my dealer and he has a sheet showing these five channels coming as well. The new HR24 receiver, ESPNU, my locals in HD, Travel and WGN in HD, and my three RSN's24/7 ... I signed up today for Direct TV after 10 years with Dish. Being installed next Friday. Hope I didn't do something stupid. I finally got sick of E* delaying my locals (announced going live last November) and my 3 RSN's in HD 24/7. Testing the new receiver was amazing. The MRV was key as I loved my 622 and this gives me the same options.

Don't assume they will go live this Wednesday. We just assume this because they usually do launch on Wednesday's. It could go liver Thursday or Friday.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)