DirecTV details please

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
Since it's just the wife and I, I've always just had a single receiver for the front room and bedroom. On some receivers there is the high grade output like RGB (or HDMI nowadays) and they used to have just an F connector that put out a lower quality signal. To the F connector I would hook the cable that goes to the bedroom. If the remote were an RF type I could lay in bed upstairs and change channels. If it's an IR remote I just picked a show to watch and went to bed and set the TV to turn off in an hour or so.
I'd like to be able to do something similar with a DirecTV HR24.

Is that possible?

What type of remote does it have?
What type of output would be like the F connector that I could run upstairs?

The HD receivers do not have a coax output BUT you can do like I did with my R22

HDMI to the HDTV in the main room
use the RCA outputs to a RF converter and then coax to the TV in the bedroom

I think with the remote its either/or (either IR or RF) not both. I have a simple remote extender that I got off Ebay and use a second IR remote for the bedroom. Works fine

I have a D-11 for SD. It has RF out S video plus composite. I feed the S to my HDTV (just like my 4DTV) Then I run composite to a video amplifier then to my recorders, 2 tv's and a UHF modulator to mix it into my MATV system. The receiver is only IR so I use 2 remote extenders to the 2 remote tv's.

There are many configurations you can do. You can run discrete AV cables like I do to remote tv's or modulate it. Discrete give a better picture plus stereo.

The SD boxes have a channel 3/4 modulator. I don't know about the HD ones since I don't have one. I'm sure you can configure any receiver anyway you want with a bit of thought and work.

My plasma TV is an oldy. In fact it's not HD it's ED (extra definition) and will take 480P through it's RGB input, but has no HDMI input. I plan to remedy this by getting a real HD TV in the future, but for now that's it.

Does the H24 have RGB output?
Otherwise I might have to get some kind of adapter for that too

Thanks for the modulator idea

My plasma TV is an oldy. In fact it's not HD it's ED (extra definition) and will take 480P through it's RGB input, but has no HDMI input. I plan to remedy this by getting a real HD TV in the future, but for now that's it.

Owners Manual:

http://www.abt.com/images/products/PDF_Files/H24.pdf

Yes, the H24 has a RGB output.

Red Green Blue

Actually I have several components (DVD player etc) that all go into the Pioneer VSX-1015 TX receiver. With that I decide which source gets fed to the plasma which only has one RGB input. The pioneer also has a variety of digital audio inputs which you can mix and match to your RGB inputs. But it has no HDMI

How many runs of RG6 will I need from the dish to the HR24 ?

That depends on what dish you get.

Personally, if you get the SL3, (Slimline 3 LNB), if it has 4 connectors on the LNB, I would run 4 cables down to the ground block and 2 into your HR24.

IF your using a SWM set up, it's entirely different.
I would always run as many as you have possible to the ground block and go from there.

SWM is single wire multiswitch. It allows you to run one wire from the LNB to what looks like a giant "splitter" (multiswitch) in the house to hook the receivers to

big advantage is the SWM you only need one wire into the house and the DVR"s only need one line to them. Normal setups they require 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts