Directv/Dish Pointing Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Nate505

Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
I'm moving into an apartment complex that will let me install Directv, which I've had for eons now and would prefer to still have.

I just bought a HDTV a little while ago, and would like to get the dish installed that allows me to get that programming. I believe the dish I need is fairly large, larger than the normal dish that I have now. Anyways, my deck is definitely large enough to handle a dish that size, but the balcony itself faces to the west. There is a view of the southern sky from the porch, but I don't believe I can get any extreme southeast angles seeing as how my porch window faces west.

I did notice that there were about 5-7 dishes on other porches on this side of the apartment building that I'm in. However, and I didn't take out my binoculars to make sure, they all looked like Dish network dishes, including one that was a lot larger than the standard Dish network dish, which I'm assuming is their HDTV dish.

So my question is, should I (or more accurately, the installers) be able to successfully install a Directv HDTV dish out there if the Dish network one's work, or do they point in a different direction? Thanks for any answers/help

Nate W.

Thank you. Sorry to keep bugging you, but will the compass come with instructions to tell me exactly what to do? Can't say I've used one before.

On a seperate note, and if you don't know this fair enough, but my apartment is the 2nd on a four story building, and I just have the patio. I've heard that dish is heavy, so I'm wondering if I'll be able to install it at all. I'm not sure how they are installed on patio decks.....

Are you getting the PhaseIII or AT9 dish? I have yet to read about an apartment patio install on the 5 LNB AT9.

I have several apartment installs of the AT-9....All are on sled or non penetrating roof mounts held by 6 concrete blocks. I also have 2 AT-9's @ a Holiday Inn with non pens , same # of blocks. I prefer to utilize the non pens on patio's. Give it a try.

Not that it will not work, but boy that seems like that is taking up all, or the vast majority of most patio/balcony's usable space for a grill, chairs, etc. AND an upper floor's balcony would be even smaller.

Depending on his DMA he may need/want the 5 LNB model. I was simply stating that the NP "sled mount" will eat up space if he is planning on using the patio/balcony for other things. He might need to take some sq ft measurements.

Thanks guys, I really apprecaite all your help and answers.

Let me answer this in the best way I know how, since I'm not as farmiliar with the technical jargon as you guys are :D

The dish I want is that Ku/Ka dish (which I believe is the AT-9, but I don't know for sure), just because I finally got a HDTV and I'd like to take advantage of it some time. Plus, antenna recpetion in Denver sucks badly, and that dish allows me, I believe, to get the local HDTV channels here.

If it can't be mounted on the railing (I don't even know if that big SOB can be mounted on a railing safely), which I'm not sure if that's allowed or not (I plan on getting my written approval on Monday, when I can technically say that I live there), I'm willing to sacrafice my deck area, even though as someone said, I would like room for at least my little weber grill :D Just looking at the floorplan online, I want to say it's about 22 feet in length, and probably about 4-5 feet in width (maybe I'm mixing them up, but you know what I mean, I hope). It seemed pretty big, and there's an entrance to the patio from both my bedroom and the living room.

I do plan on going there tomorrow, and looking closer at the dishes that are installed on the other patios. I swear I saw a pretty big honking Dish network dish, on the same floor I'm on. I do want to get a closer look at it, but from my vantage point, it seemed to be on a tripod. I take it that work if it's weighted down properly.....

Last edited:
I think that right now, the Phase III or "triple sat" dish will give you everything you want, at half the size. And, it doesn't weigh 37 pounds like the Ka/Ku dish. Here, around the Houston area, if you look at the noonday sun, and move over just a tad to the right, you'll have the 101, 110, and 119 west longitude sats that you will need to aim at. There are several ways to mount the dish (either one). You can take two of the "feet" and put them back to back with some U clamps to mount the dish on an apartment railing. You can buy a tripod at Radio Shack for $45 and do it that way. (Mark the floor of your patio with a sharpie in case someone accidently moves it. You can also get a five gallon bucket, fill it with concrete, put your pole in it, and you have a "flowerpot" mount.
One thing about the Ka/Ku-- it's a bear to align compared to the basic round dish. I use a bird dog (digital satellite meter), and go after the 119 first. It will give you the stronger signal. When I get that one, it's usually just a little tweak of elevation to give you the 101. When you have those two, you'll automatically have the 110.
I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, but I hope this helps.

I would dare say, if there are DishNetwork setups working off that same side, then yours will most assuredly work as well... Dish is 110/119/121 with a Superdish, could even have 105 subbed for 121. so, you should have a pretty clear shot. Dish500+ and Dish1000+ also have 110/119, plus 118.8Two of those three Dish birds are at the identical orbital location as DirectTv.

Go for it...:up

DJMBS

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone. I don't think I said it, but it's worth mentioning that I'm not going to install it. I'm not that talented for one, and for the other Directv tends to give you installation for free when you move or upgrade or whatever. Although having viewed some of these threads, I understand YMMV when getting a 'pro.' That being said, pretty much anyone would do a better job than I, and would have the proper equipment.

I'm just being a worry wart and want to get all the knowledge I can on whether the install will be successful or not.

FWIW, I went back there today and saw 3 of those Dish Network Super Dishes on the balconies. Tho seemed to have a bucket below them that acted as the support. I couldn't tell if it was on a pole or tripod or whatever. Is the Ka/Ku dish better than that one? They looked pretty large to me, but certainly didn't occupy any more than 15-20% of the balcony space.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)