Directv Everywhere launch info

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OSD771

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Pokey
So I finally got more info about directv everywhere, ( I should have posted this at work so I had the dates)
But it is confirmed! Live streaming to IPads, iPhones, androids, PC and Mac.
:D
I wanna say the end of this month, but I'll double check tomorrow and post the exact dates.

I know the iPad date is set for launch, iPhone, android, pc and Mac are still TBA.
But I'm pretty excited. DTV is even setting up a special tech support department for it.

Engadget said this is beta. No live streaming channels yet.:(

So what lack of information does ROVER state. I know they renamed it to something else but know if there going to be any info it going to be there.

He pretty much nailed it. Says there are rumors of other platforms of this app to come.
I will say the pq is outstanding. I downloaded the Crackle app also and I'm impressed with it also.

So I finally got more info about directv everywhere, ( I should have posted this at work so I had the dates)
But it is confirmed! Live streaming to IPads, iPhones, androids, PC and Mac.
:D
I wanna say the end of this month, but I'll double check tomorrow and post the exact dates.

I know the iPad date is set for launch, iPhone, android, pc and Mac are still TBA.
But I'm pretty excited. DTV is even setting up a special tech support department for it.

Coming soon like the Nomad for app for Android? ;) All jokes aside, that will be cool!

I would have to see the channel lineup but it sounds neat that you don't need a Slingbox to watch live TV (when the live TV portion is enabled)

More info

We’re introducing DIRECTV Everywhere by device:
  • iPad: March 21
  • directv.com: March 21 (staggered rollout to randomly-selected customers)
  • iPhone and Android: TBD

With this new product, customers can stream the same shows and movies they get at home on their smart phone, laptop, or tablet. DIRECTV continues to set new industry standards, providing its customers with the best video experience anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Launching this new service is just one more way DIRECTV remains a leader in television technology.

Cool so they finally are catching up with sling box assuming the release isn't half ass like most of their other software? At some point they'll probably charge for it as well.

i have to have it on the same network though? not really convenient if that is the case :(

Because its called Everywhere, I am pretty sure it will work of any Internet network, wifi, 3G, ect. It won't have to be in your home network

No RSNs and no local channels, but the same channels that have streamed in your home are now supposed to stream outside of it. Can't wait to go to work tomorrow and try it. What it is missing is the ability to stream programs off the playlist.

That would be called the Nomad service. That service has the ability to take programs that were recorded from your HDDVR and put them on a device. Which usually runs about 150 bones for the equipment.

OSD771 said:
That would be called the Nomad service. That service has the ability to take programs that were recorded from your HDDVR and put them on a device. Which usually runs about 150 bones for the equipment.

Doesn't Nomad still require a local sync from within your home network? If I'm on the road I would like to be able to watch any content on my DVRs since I left, not up to when I left. Nomad Everywhere perhaps?

Swanni has an article about it today. It looks like it's limited to a few networks for now:

DIRECTV Adds 'Out of Home' Viewing On iPad

Washington, D.C. (March 22, 2012) -- DIRECTV has expanded its iPad app to permit the streaming of TV shows and movies over Wi-Fi and cellular services outside of its subscribers' homes.

The
satcaster has offered both live streaming of TV shows and playback of Video on Demand programs to subscribers who own iPads since October 2011. However, this is the first time that DIRECTV has enabled its iPad subscribers to watch shows outside of their Wi-Fi networks in the home. The company is calling the new feature, 'DIRECTV Everywhere.'

Bring this to android tablets and phones and I'll be happy!

No RSNs and no local channels, but the same channels that have streamed in your home are now supposed to stream outside of it. Can't wait to go to work tomorrow and try it. What it is missing is the ability to stream programs off the playlist.
From what I understand it is selected channels, not all of the channels you subscribe to, so don't expect to watch ESPN outside your house on it.

From what I understand it is selected channels, not all of the channels you subscribe to, so don't expect to watch ESPN outside your house on it.

Disappointing. When I read some more this is what I had figured. Since I don't subscribe to HBO etc., I get Audience and the Sony Channel. And VOD. It's a start.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts