Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/askswanni122106.htm

Washington, D.C. (December 21, 2006) -- I get scores of e-mails every week from readers asking everything from whether they should buy a new HDTV to when will their TV provider add new high-def channels.

So, from time to time, I will publish my responses here in this new column called, "Ask Swanni!"

Q. Should I get a DIRECTV HD DVR? I've heard some bad things about it. -- Mark S.

Should you get one? No. Let me repeat that: No!

The satcaster's new high-def recorder (HR 20) has more bugs than a hot summer night in Mississippi. I first got one about six weeks ago and I've had to reboot the thing about 25 times; make six different phone calls to DIRECTV customer service; and get four software upgrades -- all in a vain attempt to fix various recording gaffes and picture issues. (And it's not just me; many of our HD Observers have complained about the same problems.)

The biggest problem that I have is that when you record a program, it will frequently not playback at all. Instead, when you hit "Play," you get a message asking if you want to delete the show. Since you can't watch the recording, there's only one answer to that question.

Finally, yesterday, after my sixth call to DIRECTV customer service, they sent me a replacement HD DVR, which I installed immediately. This morning, I checked to see how my test recording of Criminal Minds looked.

And how did it look? Like a blank screen. Once again, it wouldn't playback. But I did get that nice message asking me if I wanted to delete the show.

In other words, DIRECTV sent me a replacement that had the same problem as the first unit.

What does this tell me?

DIRECTV's HD DVR is not ready for primetime. The satcaster launched the device too early, probably due to pressure from customers and Wall Street. (Rival satcaster EchoStar and many cable operators have offered HD DVRs for years; DIRECTV has used a TiVo HD DVR in the past, but the two companies have ended their marketing agreement.)

Consequently, there is an untold number of DIRECTV HD DVR "lemons" out there. If you're lucky, you'll get a recorder that works. But if you're not, you'll get one that sucks like a lemon.

Until you hear otherwise from me, I can't recommend that you get a DIRECTV HD DVR. In addition, I am removing CNET's favorable review of the HR 20 from our HD Product Review page.

Q. Will Time Warner show the NFL Network preview in HD? -- Mary S.
For those who don't know, Time Warner has agreed to air the NFL Network's free preview next week, which includes the December 28 Texas Bowl between Rutgers and Kansas State. (Time Warner has not added the full-time channel due to a disagreement with the NFL Network over compensation.)

I checked this week with Time Warner. And, as of now, no decision has made on whether it will carry the Texas Bowl in HD. I hope to have more information by week's end.

Also, Cablevision now says it will not carry the free preview next week.

Q. Any plans for CNN to go high-def? -- Baruch E.
I thought that the news network would switch to HD by now. But like many other basic cable networks, they are waiting for cable and satellite operators to expand their bandwidth capability so they can add more high-def channels. What's the point of launching a HDTV channel if no one carries it?

Q. Hey, I looked at channel 95 on DIRECTV's (on-screen) guide for Thursday (today) and there was no listing for the NFL Network's broadcast of the Packers and Vikings. What gives? -- Ford K.
DIRECTV last week did not add the Thursday night HD game listing to its on-screen guide until a few hours before game time. So don't worry. It will be there.

Q. Hey, I looked at channel 95 on DIRECTV's (on-screen) guide for Thursday (today) and there was no listing for the NFL Network's broadcast of the Packers and Vikings. What gives? -- Ford K.
DIRECTV last week did not add the Thursday night HD game listing to its on-screen guide until a few hours before game time. So don't worry. It will be there.

They didn't add the guide part at all this week. The whole time it said Lakers and somebody coming.

Hey Poke thanks for the Swanni update. As usual any thing that you can find negative that is written or said about D* seems to give you pleasure to post. Or are you just trying to educate everyone. Poke, do you have D* ?just wondering

It would seem "Poke" fogot to post this follow-up rebutal in his original post here. So to maintain continuity I will quote it here:

http://www.tvpredictions.com/radike122106.htm

Washington, D.C. (December 21, 2006) -- (Phillip Swann's) personal experience with the HR20 emulates that of some other existing HR20 users. However, it is not necessarily representative of the overall HR20 user base as a whole. Certainly, those with problems are more vocal, and rightly so. Based on (Swanni's) personal experience, I can understand how he would not be anxious to endorse this unit at this time.

That said, please note that between my personal installation of 2 HR20’s, as well another 19 units at 14 local install sites of personal friends, I can report that we all have not seen these same kinds of issues at all. In fact, with the exception of two of the total 21 units, none have ever required a reboot or had failed recordings/playbacks whatsoever since installation.

Those two units did require one reboot after the previous national release version. This group alone represents many hundreds of hours of successful HR20 DVR recording and playbacks.

Since the most recent firmware activated over the air (OTA) local HD channels, various parts of the U.S. may see some hiccups due to a combination of factors:

1. Local affiliate TV stations having problematic or inadequately configured HD broadcast equipment;

2. Installations with poor, improperly installed, or inadequate HD OTA antenna equipment or cabling;

3. Improperly configured HR20 OTA settings;

4. Non-activation by certain stations for digital signal transmission (so far);

5. Other hardware, cabling, splitter, or multiswitch issues.

Some problems have been rectified with a single system reset. Since OTA signals are location-specific in terms of potential location (including multi-path, obstructions, signal strength, directional pointing, etc.), there will certainly be some incidents of issues relating to the most recent firmware update that activated this new capability in the HR20.

While some people have certainly reported issues with the HR20, a large number of users also indicate they have no problems. Overall, our 21 HR20 units in our local “group” are all quite solid, reliable, and enjoyable electronics. Hopefully, the rest of the population can join in with the successful use of this great home entertainment device soon.

:up

Q. Should I get a DIRECTV HD DVR? I've heard some bad things about it. -- Mark S.

Should you get one? No. Let me repeat that: No!

The satcaster's new high-def recorder (HR 20) has more bugs than a hot summer night in Mississippi. I first got one about six weeks ago and I've had to reboot the thing about 25 times; make six different phone calls to DIRECTV customer service; and get four software upgrades -- all in a vain attempt to fix various recording gaffes and picture issues. (And it's not just me; many of our HD Observers have complained about the same problems.)

The biggest problem that I have is that when you record a program, it will frequently not playback at all. Instead, when you hit "Play," you get a message asking if you want to delete the show. Since you can't watch the recording, there's only one answer to that question.

Finally, yesterday, after my sixth call to DIRECTV customer service, they sent me a replacement HD DVR, which I installed immediately. This morning, I checked to see how my test recording of Criminal Minds looked.

And how did it look? Like a blank screen. Once again, it wouldn't playback. But I did get that nice message asking me if I wanted to delete the show.

In other words, DIRECTV sent me a replacement that had the same problem as the first unit.

What does this tell me?

DIRECTV's HD DVR is not ready for primetime. The satcaster launched the device too early, probably due to pressure from customers and Wall Street. (Rival satcaster EchoStar and many cable operators have offered HD DVRs for years; DIRECTV has used a TiVo HD DVR in the past, but the two companies have ended their marketing agreement.)

Consequently, there is an untold number of DIRECTV HD DVR "lemons" out there. If you're lucky, you'll get a recorder that works. But if you're not, you'll get one that sucks like a lemon.

Until you hear otherwise from me, I can't recommend that you get a DIRECTV HD DVR. In addition, I am removing CNET's favorable review of the HR 20 from our HD Product Review page.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Up to more childish "little boy" games Vurbano? It would appear so. But then that is your trademark now isn't it? I guess your "no OTA" liturgy has run its course, and grasping for straws again enters your "golly gee! I don't like DirecTV" world.

BTW your acid rain Avatar is very appropriate.:D

Last edited:
Up to more childish "little boy" games Vurbano? It would appear so. But then that is your trademark now isn't it? I guess your "no OTA" liturgy has run its course, and grasping for straws again enters your "golly gee! I don't like DirecTV" world.

BTW your acid rain Avatar is very appropriate.:D
I really am in shock. I never knew this thing had that many problems. I thought it was just early software and OTA. But hey wait a minute. Thats 3/4 of the machine. I have always said that it was rushed to market before it was ready though and Swanni proves that.

I really am in shock. I never knew this thing had that many problems. I thought it was just early software and OTA. But hey wait a minute. Thats 3/4 of the machine. I have always said that it was rushed to market before it was ready though and Swanni proves that.

I feel that alot of the issues were things that have been addressed now, mine has worked pretty much flawlessly since I got it.
Now that the OTA issue is taken care of, I can now use it as I had originally planed.

V, You always said that it was rushed to market , as other have.
But I am sure you have also complained that it was not on the market earlier in the year as well.

Jimbo

POKE, you titled this thread :
FIX your HD DVR .....
But you did not mention any ways to fix anything that may not be right ????

Why didn't you title it : TV predictions SLAMS D* again.

But I am sure you have also complained that it was not on the market earlier in the year as well.

Jimbo
Not loudly, I am sort of dreading the day I have to get one. I will put it off as long as possible. I have mine networked and unencrypted at the moment. Im sure that will be difficult with the new one. The moment they implement the free use of Infrant servers etc for storage and streaming of movies with the new one Im there though. I also object to having any portion of my hard drive space dedicated to downloads that D* decides I have to have on my equipment.

My HR20 has been flawless. No complaints at all.
I'm wondering how much E* paid Swanni for that review....

I also object to having any portion of my hard drive space dedicated to downloads that D* decides I have to have on my equipment.

I also agree with this, it seem rediculous that D* takes a portion of the HD for what they might want to suggest, I guess, although to this point , they have not loaded anything onto mine yet, not sure what to expect to show up or how they determine it, I suppose it could be promo's or something like that.
If they were going to do that , why wouldn't they say you have a 300G HD and an addl, 5G for D*'s purpose, or, NOT tell you that they control any of it.
At least the HD meter works correctly now. (Update fixed it)

Jimbo

I also agree with this, it seem rediculous that D* takes a portion of the HD for what they might want to suggest, I guess, although to this point , they have not loaded anything onto mine yet, not sure what to expect to show up or how they determine it, I suppose it could be promo's or something like that.
If they were going to do that , why wouldn't they say you have a 300G HD and an addl, 5G for D*'s purpose, or, NOT tell you that they control any of it.

Jimbo
Hd meter?? educate me. Also, not as a criticism but does it have 30 second skip? How do you skip commercials? That is possibly the best feature of the HR10-250.

I just got a refurbished hr20 to replace my hr10-250. It was going well till yesterday. When I try to stop a live show or rewind it , the picture freezes. Is this something I have to live with. I hope not. Probably sending it back for another replacement

steve

I just got a refurbished hr20 to replace my hr10-250. It was going well till yesterday. When I try to stop a live show or rewind it , the picture freezes. Is this something I have to live with. I hope not. Probably sending it back for another replacement

steve

try doing a reboot, probably will fix your trouble

Hd meter?? educate me. Also, not as a criticism but does it have 30 second skip? How do you skip commercials? That is possibly the best feature of the HR10-250.

vurbano,
In this case the HD meter I was talking about is the Hard Drive meter, telling you how much space you have used.

Although a HD meter so you could see bit rates would be really cool too, and sad whan you look at it often.

Jimbo

Hey Jimbo,
That reboot seems to have fixed my problem with the stop and rewind.
thanks and Merry Christmas

steve

That column or article sure shoots the credibility out of that web site. He needs to get his facts straight before he starts typing. Just removed that site from "My Favorites" list.

Jimbo

This is an unjustified concern, another conspiracy theory of the massively paranoid.

The DVR allows you to rewind and replay live broadcast while not recording. It's a really nice feature when watching sports; and sometimes during a movie. Surely that requires some of the reserved space.

If anybody is really upset over the implementation D* has done, they are free to pursue fully-customizable, PC-based DVR solutions. Nobody is obligated to use the D* HD-DVR.

Barring that, the SATA port allows you to add as much drive space as you like.

This is an unjustified concern, another conspiracy theory of the massively paranoid.

The DVR allows you to rewind and replay live broadcast while not recording. It's a really nice feature when watching sports; and sometimes during a movie. Surely that requires some of the reserved space.

If anybody is really upset over the implementation D* has done, they are free to pursue fully-customizable, PC-based DVR solutions. Nobody is obligated to use the D* HD-DVR.

Barring that, the SATA port allows you to add as much drive space as you like.

I am not upset with this at all, as I stated above, they could have automatically added this into the amount of the actual HD and told you the available space amount when listing it.
It doesn't bother me at all, it's still a fabulous machine and I have enjoyed it so far.

Any word on the SATA port and how it will be used ?
Somewhere I heard it would replace the current HD instead of adding to it ?

I am awaiting info as to when this type of thing will be available and how much and how big it will be, I think it will be a GOOD thing, perticularly if it's a plug and play type situation.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)