Directv HD Quality Sucks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Smaller the TV the better the SD looks, and the Less WOW HD looks.
And When your talking 22 inch TV's I see no point in running HD to one and then complain about the HD PQ.

It ain't about the size of your TV, it's how you use it. :rolleyes:

Nothing can be wrong. There is an hdmi cable between the HR24 and the HDTV. Res is 720p on the HR24, native is on. Here is a still from Idiot Abroad. This was from Science Channel HD. The picture looks like crap. Grainy, washed out, and over compressed, how every D* HD channel looks.

Now here is a blu ray still from Avatar. No compression, no graininess, nothing, just a clear and sharp HD Picture.

First thing I see wrong here is you are taking a 1080i signal and down resing it to 720p. That could be (and probably is) the main issue.

Second an idiot abroad is not shot on very good equipment. They use very cheap consumer grade equipment to tape that show, I saw a show of behind the scenes for this show and it is done by the BBC (I believe it was the BBC) and because of the enviroments they are shooting in and the high eqipment failure rate they opted for consumer grade equipment which can be thrown away without much expense if they break out in the field.

I'm watching from about 8 ft distance on a Panny 50" Plasma 1080p set with an HR23. Looks ok for me. My HR23 is always set to 1080i .

No its not.
Anything Under a 32 " is Useless as HD TV .
A 480P ED tv PQ is exactly the same on tv's that small.

A 22 inch tv has to be sit on top of just to watch it period, Let alone HD!
Thats a Computer monitor, made for sitting at your desk.

My point is quality will shine on any size tv small or large. DirecTV SD looks great on my 13" bottle SDTV in my kitchen. Put that signal on a bigger set and sit close and watch it go to hell. The HD these pizza providers put out isn't all that great. Seen Direct's HD on my HDTV and a C band SD master. The C band SD master looks better and that's 480i vs what they call 720p or 1080i. Once you butcher a signal by over compressing it the quality is lost.

Where are these C Band Masters you keep speaking about? Are there any left?

I will agree an ANALOG Master C Band feed looked almost as good as a true HD picture. :)

My point is quality will shine on any size tv small or large. DirecTV SD looks great on my 13" bottle SDTV in my kitchen. Put that signal on a bigger set and sit close and watch it go to hell. The HD these pizza providers put out isn't all that great. Seen Direct's HD on my HDTV and a C band SD master. The C band SD master looks better and that's 480i vs what they call 720p or 1080i. Once you butcher a signal by over compressing it the quality is lost.

We used to have C-Band (and still see it from time to time), and I would in no way say that SD on Cband looks better than HD off of D*.

It looked great, yes. But not better than MOST HD that we get from these providers.

We used to have C-Band (and still see it from time to time), and I would in no way say that SD on Cband looks better than HD off of D*.

It looked great, yes. But not better than MOST HD that we get from these providers.
I was about to say the same thing

Where are these C Band Masters you keep speaking about? Are there any left?

I will agree an ANALOG Master C Band feed looked almost as good as a true HD picture. :)

Masters that you can subscribe to no, but C band still gives the best picture be it DVB, DC2 or analog. ITC feeds and masters are still up there you can watch. :)

Try adjusting your picture settings. Calibrate that HDMI input! Settings can change from one input to the next. Perhaps the default settings for the input that your Blue Ray is connected to work great. But the settings for the input DirecTV is hooked to might not be so great. Get the TV out of torch mode and turn down the brightness and sharpness for one. You need to make some adjustments.

My point is quality will shine on any size tv small or large. DirecTV SD looks great on my 13" bottle SDTV in my kitchen. Put that signal on a bigger set and sit close and watch it go to hell. .
Yep SD looks great on 13-26 inch TV's
HD PQ is not much different on these tv either.

Not big enough to notice.

Now sit 10 feet away from a 22 " HD and tell me if you can see a difference between 1080i and 480i
You won't!
Sit about 2 feet , You might!

Do the same with a 42 inch TV, There will be a big diffence.

I don't care if its C-Band , OTA ,Cable, or Satellite.

If your going to buy 22" tv , why bother paying extra for HD service.

Sorry But a 16x9 22" LCD is about the same size as the OLD 19 Inchers! :rolleyes:

Yea first thing I would do, is Pay D* for HD service for it.:rolleyes:

The HD looks very good on my 32" and 42"....both are viewed at a decent distance :)

Much better than the SD counterpart channel in most cases

D* HD looks quite good. It's your setup (which includes your crappy 22" Sharp for what you are doing).

Have you changed the HDMI cables between the devices and noticed any difference? You could have a bad HDMI cable and not realize it yet. But I wouldn't expect much going from 1080 to 720 on a 22" HDTV with Satellite. Try watching the basketball game tonight on CBS and see. It will be shot with some of the best cameras and broadcast as good as I've seen on TV.

You could always try it out on a better and larger HDTV and see the difference (maybe different HDMI cable too). Try one that has a 1080i setting available.

coinmaster32 said:
I recently bought a HD Sharp 22" TV for my room. I also have Directv "HD".

I have played blu rays and hd video from other providers and the HD quality is AMAZING! My tv has a good picture too.

I am feeding my Directv HR22 to my TV via HDMI. I also have 720p selected on the receiver.

Every HD channel looks about DVD quality if that. Everything is so grainy and horribly over compressed.

You "recently" purchased this TV but have been able to use more than 1 provider to compare picture quality? Somethings not adding up....

You "recently" purchased this TV but have been able to use more than 1 provider to compare picture quality? Somethings not adding up....

I guess he might have two providers, but looking at his posting past, I do not think that is the case.

I've never seen any of the HD channels in Directv where the picture quality sucks. I had Dish Network before and to my eyes, HD looks a tad better on Directv. Same TV, same HDMI cable, same everything, it just looks better with Directv. Ah, and I also have Comcast (QAM) where I can see the local HD channels and the picture quality with Directv still looks the same or better than the Comcast HD channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts