Directv install questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fredbenz

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 29, 2006
St. Cloud, Minnesota
So, I've done this before, but it's also been a while.

I recently picked up a slimline dish from somebody, it has the condensed LNB (one larger oval, as opposed to three separates, Part number SL3S4NR2-14). I need to run three H25's. Can somebody tell me what I need, or what my options are for switching. I have four coaxial cables pulled to the dish. I'd like to use a SWM so I can leave three lines free for future uses. I would appreciate any advice and or part numbers. Also where is a good place to purchase this equipment? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
So, I've done this before, but it's also been a while.

I recently picked up a slimline dish from somebody, it has the condensed LNB (one larger oval, as opposed to three separates, Part number SL3S4NR2-14). I need to run three HR25's. Can somebody tell me what I need, or what my options are for switching. I have four coaxial cables pulled to the dish. I'd like to use a SWM so I can leave three lines free for future uses. I would appreciate any advice and or part numbers. Also where is a good place to purchase this equipment? Thank you for your time.
You already have 3 active H25 recvrs (note, there are no HR25's, there are HR24's).

To set this up you would need the Slimline dish and a Power Inserter and a D* splitter.
As well as the know how to set this all up.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
That is a SWM LNB, so you are good with SWM. You just need a 4 port splitter and the 21v power inserter. Only other thing is coax to each receiver.

LNB -> Splitter -> Power Inserter (1) ->Receivers

For only needing those couple things I'd just order them on eBay. I do recommend using the directv branded splitter.

Reactions: fredbenz

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Apr 12, 2006
There is no HR25, there's an H25 receiver or an HR24 DVR....
You need to tell, us what are the distances from the dish to the house (the splitter, see below) and from the splitter to each receiver.

In any case, your dish SL3S is an SWM dish so only needs one cable. Run this to the house, then get a 4-way SWM Green Label splitter. Also a PI-21 21v power inserter. PI connected to the red (power passing) port on the splitter. One H25 or HR24 connected to each of the other three outputs.
You can get the PI and splitter on ebay, or from online dealers like Solid Signal.

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
Also if you ran all of the lines to the dish, you "could" put the splitter at the dish, but no self-respecting tech, nor I would recommend that. All that is needed is 1 line from your lnb to the splitter that has been mentioned, then run your cables into the splitter, mount the splitter on the siding or in a basement or something... Just recommendations-

Reactions: Tecnicoloco

fredbenz

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 29, 2006
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Here's my install. Hopefully it's sub par. Can anyone tell me why I can't get the remotes that came with my H25's to work in RF mode? They are model #Rc66RX. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    762.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0372.JPG
    IMG_0372.JPG
    723.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0373.JPG
    IMG_0373.JPG
    515.5 KB · Views: 167

Zashel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 14, 2015
Wisconsin
just for kicks and grins, if your router is down there (i see a linksys, only reason i mention it) you can install a broadband deca in that last spot on the splitter and use your smartphone as the remote too.

DCMack

Nov 26, 2015
Fort Lauderdale
I am getting new Genie receiver and will have upgrade my dish for the LNB5 SWM.

Can I use one of the two cables currently strung between the dish and my current receiver and have the splitter and power inserter located close to the receiver?

How best to decide which of the cables is connected to the new LNB5?

Also despite there being in the picture on Amazon, the splitter did not come with terminators. If the splitter is inside and near to the receiver are these necessary?

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
:welcome to Satelliteguys DCMack!

Sounds like you are self installing your equipment. If not, don't worry, the installer will have terminators. If so, you do need them, but the system should work without them for a while. You can get them at Home Depot, etc. I'm assuming you have clients or other receivers/dvrs to connect even though you didn't mention any. If not, then you don't need the splitter, just install the power inserter inline from the dish to the Genie. You have a 50/50 shot at using the correct cable from the dish. If you guess wrong, then use the other one, simple! Good luck!

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
I've had my SWM set up up and running for several years now and have no terminations on the rest of the splitter connections with no issues ... however, the splitter IS inside.

DCMack

Nov 26, 2015
Fort Lauderdale
you don't need the splitter, just install the power inserter inline from the dish to the Genie

I have an H21 which has been giving my some problems lately so I decided to upgrade. I may use this in another room. I am unsure how to follow your recommendation to "just install the power inserter inline from the dish to the Genie" There are two outlets on the power inserter. Do you mean connect a coax beween the outlet called "Power to SWM" to the dish and a coax from "signal to IRD" to the Genie?

Also if I do use the H21 which of the coax inputs should I use left or right?

It is still OK to have the long coax to run from the LNB to the splitter located close to the receiver?

Many thanks

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Yes, if you are only connecting one receiver/dvr, connect them as you noted. If you have more than one, you will need a splitter, Directv swm approved type only. If you have more than one receiver/dvr, then one cable to the dish as before and another to the splitter, then from the splitter to the receivers/dvrs. If the power inserter is between the splitter and the receivers/dvrs, then make sure it's on the power passing port of the splitter.

peds48

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 17, 2009
New York
Also if there is an AC outlet located where the cables from the H21 and Genie are located, it would be best to connect the PI BEFORE the splitter and using a 2 way DIRECTV SWM splitter.

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)