Directv L-11 receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pmart

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Puerto Rico
I need some feedback regarding L-11 receivers .

Anyone has the specs for this unit ? Does it have Dolby digital /Component video capabilities ?

Your usual response will be greatly appreciated

Pmart
:confused:

I am not doubting you, it is possible you are privy to information we, or Google is not, but, if people on here have not heard of it, it maybe a simple mistakem, where are you getting the model number from (in setup, a website, a manual)?, the only L11 (L1.11 a.k.a L11) I see anywhere references an update version for a Dishnet receiver.

Here is listings of directv receivers...

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/downloadPage.jsp?assetId=1100066

...and I do not see an L11 anywhere.

Just making a note that the OP's location is listed as Puerto Rico; maybe he doesn't have DirecTV US (not sure here) or DirecTV at all like Damage mentions. Just another idea.

charper1 said:
Just making a note that the OP's location is listed as Puerto Rico; maybe he doesn't have DirecTV US (not sure here) or DirecTV at all like Damage mentions. Just another idea.

Perhaps the D11 for Latin areas is labeled L11 (L for Latin)?!? ...ok, I got nothing...*shrug*

Hi:

I looked at the D11 specs/manual and it is identical to the L11 in my installation, trust me it is L11.
Seems to me that for some reason , hard to understand for me, Directv has produced an L11 version for LA market ( South America, Caribbean ,..).

One of the issues I have with this receiver is that I can't set it up to display original program aspect ratio. My plasma shows the awfully looking zoomed out version fiiling up the whole screen, with significant distortion.

Can someone advise for the D11 version how do I setup the receiver to show original aspect ratio ???

Regards

Pmart

pmart said:
Hi:

I looked at the D11 specs/manual and it is identical to the L11 in my installation, trust me it is L11.
Seems to me that for some reason , hard to understand for me, Directv has produced an L11 version for LA market ( South America, Caribbean ,..).

One of the issues I have with this receiver is that I can't set it up to display original program aspect ratio. My plasma shows the awfully looking zoomed out version fiiling up the whole screen, with significant distortion.

Can someone advise for the D11 version how do I setup the receiver to show original aspect ratio ???

Regards

Pmart

I do not have a D11, rather I have a D10, but they are similar, so these instructions may apply, the aspect ratio can be changed like this:

Menu->Settings->Setup->Display->then use the green button to go to 'TV Ratio', use the Select button + arrow keys on the remote to choose.

P.S. charper1, heh, looks like we were close, if not right on. (and Tonedeaf) :)

Last edited:
pmart said:
Seems to me that for some reason , hard to understand for me, Directv has produced an L11 version for LA market ( South America, Caribbean ,..)
Regards Pmart

The receivers are more than likely the same or at least 95% the same, but the LNB is different I am sure, and the dish aiming is for sure because it points to a totally different satellite than the US services.

But, I would give the "D" series manuals a try. I don't think you can screw up the unit. I assume this means you lost you original "L" series manual?

Thanks but this is not quiet what I am looking for.

I understand your instruction are meant to setup your TV monitor aspect ratio.

But what I am want to do is , once you have setup your TV to the right aspect ratio, how do I force the set to display the original program ratio. Meaning if the program tuned is 4:3 display it as such without expanding to fill the 16:9 screen ?????

Thx

Pmart

pmart said:
Thanks but this is not quiet what I am looking for.

I understand your instruction are meant to setup your TV monitor aspect ratio.

But what I am want to do is , once you have setup your TV to the right aspect ratio, how do I force the set to display the original program ratio. Meaning if the program tuned is 4:3 display it as such without expanding to fill the 16:9 screen ?????

Thx

Pmart

That might be a function of your TV in this case, the D(L)11 is a standard definition receiver, and aside from the setting I have you, has no other aspect setting, the D11 manual shows no hits for aspect ratio, maybe you want a HD receiver.

And to add: some standard def programming does come in the 16x9 format like AMC or FMC BUT these will always be letterboxed from the provider. But as Damaged said; if you are whatchin a 4x3 program from a SD receiver on a 16x9 display, the only way to stretch or zoom that program would be with the display NOT the receiver. If you had an HD receiver then it also has display options for your viewing prefs and you would want to set that to 'native'.

Hi to ALL:

The issue is not setting receiver display for 16:9 aspect ratio ( ratio of my plasma monitor) i ahve done that, but rather
how can I setup the receiver, if possible, to show original program aspect ratio. Meaning:
All programs received now are expanded to fill my screen to max capacity. That causes some distortion. What I would like to do is make the unit show program broadcasted in 4:3 ratio as such and only 16:9 broadcasts displayed to fill the screen.

Pmart

I did notice back in your 1st post you wanted to know what connections your receiver has in the back.... do you physically have this unit in your hands? I assumed if you were 100% sure it says its a L11 on the back, then you could also see on the back panel what connections it has.

Once again it sounds like you are looking for a DirecTV receiver answer for something that is most likely a TV/display setting issue.

As far as we can determine (since it seems it is not a USA issued model) that your "L11" is NOT a HD unit correct? Therefore it ONLY displays a standard definition 4:3 image; and there is nothing you can do to change that. So any cropping, stretching, zooming, etc, is being ONLY done by the TV/display.

On a few SD channels they do show letterboxed 16:9 shows, but that is done at the providers end (say AMC or FMC) and there is nothing you can do to change that with the receiver either; however you can possibly zoom with your TV/display.

Also, what TV/display make & model are you using? That could speed all this up.

Last edited:
Hi ALL:

Thanks to all for your inputs , however I don't think I have explained my issue properly. Let me try again:

I own a 50" plasma display and have set my L11(D11?) receiver to match this unit with an aspect ratio of 16:9.

The issue I have is that programs broadcasted as 4:3 are expanded to fill the 16:9 plasma screen !!! I would like to see them shown as broadcasted. Meaning 4 by 3should be shown as such without zooming out to fill the 16:9 screen !!!!!!!!!!!

My previous DIsh Network receiver had that capability. Any clues ???

Regards

Pmart

Is your L11 an HD unit? If so, the receiver has a NATIVE selection and that is what you use. If its not a HD unit then there will be no setting as such because everything that comes out of a SD unit is always and only 4:3 format.

Last edited:
OK Charper-I THINK he is saying he wants 4:3 displayed with pillar box. If so, then he can set a HD receiver to do this. If he has a SD receiver, as you say, there is no setting for this, and then, as everyone else has said, the only option is to tell the TV to display 4:3 with pillar box.

I agree, and we have all repeatidly said the same thing, but we haven't been able to determine what it is he really has; as it appears he has a non-USA version.

I was able to find the Puerto Rico version of the D* LA website, and it offers no info about receivers, except to give general advice like check connections, restart receiver etc. No models or manuals. Says receiver mfg are Thomson, Hughes, and General Electric. That's about it, so without more info:confused:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)