DirecTV lays off hundreds of managers as cord cutting accelerates

Disney's streaming services lost $1.47 billion last quarter, more than double the unit's loss from a year prior. McCarthy said losses will improve in 2023, and Chapek has promised streaming will become profitable by the end of 2024

Chapek is long gone. Iger is back at the helm, for whatever that is worth.

Reactions: SamCdbs
I wonder what this means?

“We’re adjusting our operations costs to align with these changes and will continue to invest in new entertainment products and service enhancements.”
It means they'll be laying people off as they wait to see what the basement number will be for subs to determine if they close up shop.

Costs are getting too high for everything. First thing to go is nonessential services like satellite radio and tv. Money better spent on food for survival if it comes down to it.
They've always been high for these services, my moms DirecTV has almost $50 in fees unique to DirecTV, instantly saved if she moves to YTTV for example.

These losses are more to do with better offerings and changing habits and DirecTV has a model that is hard to pivot from with such high customer acquisition costs. So they lose all of those customers unless they can get them to shift to the streaming product. The economy just exacerbates this, but they've been losing subs longer than inflation has been in the headlines, and losing Sunday Ticket will drive more churn on top of existing reasons.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

No..its the articles prediction

Quote where it says that in either of the articles posted.

The reality is if they conduct that poll today they'll probably get wildly different results. Streaming allows people to be fickle and turn them off and on as needed - and the services are designed to support that. Netflix has the highest average cost, that naturally drives churn - but they've also gained millions of subs since that article.

If anything, their master stroke w/ password sharing crackdowns could result in a net gain of subs if done right. I know if for some reason mom couldn't stream Netflix while we do at home (my kids are frequently at her house, so my services are all logged in there) then we'd spin up another sub for her, for example.

To circle this back around to the actual topic rather than one of your incessant rabbit holes, subscribing mom to her own Netflix would also likely hasten her departure from DirecTV as our overall costs increase and we prioritize the better value propositions.

Quote where it says that in either of the articles posted.

The reality is if they conduct that poll today they'll probably get wildly different results. Streaming allows people to be fickle and turn them off and on as needed - and the services are designed to support that. Netflix has the highest average cost, that naturally drives churn - but they've also gained millions of subs since that article.

If anything, their master stroke w/ password sharing crackdowns could result in a net gain of subs if done right. I know if for some reason mom couldn't stream Netflix while we do at home (my kids are frequently at her house, so my services are all logged in there) then we'd spin up another sub for her, for example.

To circle this back around to the actual topic rather than one of your incessant rabbit holes, subscribing mom to her own Netflix would also likely hasten her departure from DirecTV as our overall costs increase and we prioritize the better value propositions.
Actually..you need to check out Bruce's thread on password sharing..you might be shocked by our members reactions if they found out they were being charged for it

I don’t see how a company could get away with classifying its warehouse workers as independent contractors.

A lot of big companies are top heavy with management. Wonder if the president of janitorial supplies is being axed....lol

The warehouse workers are level 99..contractors...fired at will ...go apply for a Amazon warehouse job..its explained in the application
I have found nothing online to support this, if true, supply a link, my guess this is untrue based on the facts of Warehouse workers trying to become unionized that work for Amazon.

Drivers are contractors, no argument there.

I have found nothing online to support this, if true, supply a link, my guess this is untrue based on the facts of Warehouse workers trying to become unionized that work for Amazon.

Drivers are contractors, no argument there.
Go put an application in