DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
November 23, 2005]

DirecTV Now Using MPEG-4 Technology

By PATRICK BARNARD
TMCnet Associate Editor

DirecTV Inc. recently started transmitting high-definition MPEG-4 signals in Detroit and plans to bring MPEG-4 technology to each of its markets during the next few years.

Although the move to MPEG-4 will make no difference, in terms of picture quality, to DirecTV’s customers, it makes a huge difference to the company because MPEG-4 signals eat up far less bandwidth. While a single MPEG-2 HD stream takes up the space of six standard-definition TV channels, MPEG-4 is at least twice as efficient, taking up the equivalent of three channels or less.

Next year, the company plans to launch more MPEG-4 HDTV signals in more markets, culminating in 2007, when it plans to offer 1,500 local and 150 national channels in the format on four new satellites.

MPEG-4 technology levels the playing field for DirecTV with cable operators and telephone companies, in that it can also now deploy high-definition on a market-by-market basis. The MPEG-4 codec allows telcos to offer more channels than they could offer using MPEG-2 encoding, but telco set-top vendors haven’t been able to secure chip sets fast enough. DirecTV has reportedly solved that problem by purchasing silicon from Broadcom Corp.

To further improve efficiency, DirecTV is combining the MPEG-4 encoding with DVB-S2 technology, which uses 8PSK modulation, a higher order of modulation than the current 4PSK standard. DVB-S2 also uses a more efficient error-correcting code.

In Detroit, DirecTV’s first market, the company is taking the MPEG-2 HD feeds of the ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox affiliates, digitizing and encrypting their signals, then transporting them via its national fiber backbone to its uplink facility in California. Using encoders from Tandberg Television, the signals are converted to MPEG-4, then sent out via one of DirecTVs Ka-band satellites.

DirecTV is now marketing an MPEG-4-capable receiver, manufactured by LG Electronics, in the Detroit area. The receiver contains the key MPEG-4 chip set necessary to receive and display the HD signals. It also has tuners for standard-definition channels, as well as the 18 MPEG-2 HD signals DirecTV offers. Consumers can buy the receiver for $199, but with a rebate of $200, the net cost is zero.

There is a significant cost in bringing MPEG-4 technology to consumers. But Pontual said he expects that by next year there will be a “significant price reduction” in MPEG-4 set top boxes.

”In the long run, DirecTV believes the MPEG-4 boxes won’t cost any more than current MPEG-2 boxes,” he said.

Meanwhile, other satellite television service providers are moving cautiously in implementing MPEG-4 technology.

Patrick Barnard is Associate Editor for TMCnet and a columnist covering the telecom industry. To see more of his articles, please visit Patrick Barnard’s columnist page.

[ Back To TMCnet.com's Homepage ]

Copyright 2005 Techonology Marketing Corporation (TMC) - All rights reserved

Fgsilva said:
gotcha. then perhaps by 2050 we'll have all 150 channels... ;)

By 2050 we will all be waiting for providers to carry ultra Imax HD with 121.1 surround sound with our 250" Imax 40,000x40,000p resolution screens. DirecTV will at that time have to launch a brand new satellite to give us enough bandwidth to offer the 6 UHDImax feeds available from ESPN and CBS. Time Warner Cable and BHN of course won't have it available in their 45/month UHDImax Package until 2060. Verizon will also be laying some new type of ultra fiber as well but it won't be called fiber. It might be called something like FIRE. Call Verizon to see if FIRE is available at your location to enjoy the hottest most burning experience in internet 4.0 and Imax TV service. Local broadcast stations will be upgraded to Imax HD and that transition will take another 25 years because they would want to put 40 HD feeds into the same space instead of the one UHDImax feed.

I actually saw a report somewhere that mentioned a Japanese outfit has started experimenting with Super HD with ? pixels x 4096 pixels.

It said something about the display looked realistically 3D! Wait a minute...isn't that what they said about HD about 3-4 years ago? ;)

seeing as how i will be 100 years old in 2050, i don't really care. interesting, the article says the m-peg4 signal will deliver the same pq as what is now being shown by d*....so in other words, hd lite is here to stay?

PoitNarf said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the Solid Signal website has a page dedicated just to the install of the new MPEG-4 equipment. It even has the install videos. I was all ready to just go ahead and get the dish and install it myself, but after watching the videos I think I'll let someone else handle it this time round.

http://www.solidsignal.com/satellite/at9_install_videos.asp

Its been there since the beginning ;)

Hey guys, I am in Tampa bay area in Sarasota. I just bought the new H20 at local BB. Called D* and they can't schedule me for new 5lnb dish but they can't yet and girl said it'll be for $99. I know we are in the top market but does anyone know when should be Tampa bay turned on? thanxxx

Wash DC HD locals on now??

moonman said:
D*'s Spaceway 1 channel list now on Lyngsat
Don't know if this has been posted or not...H/D MPEG4 channel list............

What is with the Wash DC stations listed?? Does that mean DC is now "active" and available for the MPEG 4 upgrade??

And what's with the 9 or so Detroit MPEG 4 HD locals?? I thought it was just going to be the "big four" for a while??

I was wondering myself as I am currently only getting the Detroit ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC

DC Locals

Just got off the phone with DirecTV customer install. They will not take orders for HD upgrades in the DC market yet. Also, they gave me the story about it being a $99 upgrade fee. Guess I will have to get customer retention on the phone when they can take my order. Have the majority of folks been successful in getting the fee waived for a 2 year commitment?

Warren C said:
To anyone that has the MPEG4 Box and HD LIL's, Where are the HD LIL channels mapped on the DTV grid?

They are right with your SD locals
3-1
3 DT

just a heads up, got my hd programming and install today thru d* and i was surprised to get an h20 when I was expecting an h10. buffalo will not be getting mpeg4 for a while, yet they are already installing the new hd receivers. how nice :) :)

Anyone know when the second tier will be released? I am in Orlando (#20, as far as I know) and recently moved and lost my ability to put up a roof top OTA antenna. I am trying to make due with a RCA set top antenna and it's not working too well. I am impatiently waiting for the HD locals in Orlando. If anyone knows anything, I appreciate the info. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)