DirecTV MPEG4 Rollout to begin

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DTV TiVo Dealer said:
DIRECTV will keep the HD MPEG-2 signals up at least until the end of 2007. Also, we will see a few new national HD channels in MPEG-2, but the bulk of the promised 150 new national HD channels will begin to roll out in 2007 with MPEG-4 compression.

-Robert

Would it be possible to give us an idea of what a few channels out of 150 means (>15, <15, <10, <5)?

I kinda thought D* would have to keep both feeds going until 2007 but I guess I thought they would get to rolling out all this new HD ASAP in mpeg 4 mode.

Also it's good to know I can swap out my 2 hd boxes for H20s and keep my HD Tivo until 2007 if I want.

I'm glad to here this. Finally some info from D*. We knew it was coming, but is it coincidence that D* announced this right about the same time it was announced that the FCC approved the sale of Rainbow 1 to E*? Hmmm. Let the sat-HD wars begin!

T2k said:
My problem with this it won't address the bandwidth issue until all the receivers have been replaced, so no HD feed will be added for at least a year... I'll stick with Dish for the next year, I think - then switch to FiOS TV, I guess. :p

Don't be so sure. A commitment to switch Sunday Ticket HD to MPEG4 next year would release some MPEG2 bandwidth. Converting DNS east or west (i.e. with the NY or LA markets) would release even more.

In short, there is wiggle room, should D* move in that direction...

I still don't agree with the $49 upgrade fee along with the 2-year committment.

I would agree to a $49 upgrade fee with a 1-year committment though.

Also, we will see a few new national HD channels in MPEG-2
How can that be possible? I thought DirecTV had their bandwidth stretched to the limit already. Hence the need for MPEG-4. Are they able to move/add some HD MPEG-2 channels to the new satellite(s)? I know we'll need new equipment to get the MPEG-4 channels but I haven't heard if the new satellites will add to DirecTV's MPEG-2 bandwidth. Possibly temporarily?

-JustBob

I'm scared about committing to Direct for another 2 years. I am currently finished with my one year contract and am free to go to another provider ...like dish or cable. Currently, I cancelled my HD pack because of lack of programming. I don't want to jump right now because I want to see what Mpeg 4 brings in the way of new national HD ch's. Local HD I really don't care about....we will see. But 2 years is a long time to commit to a service.

larrystotler said:
And how much more will the Digital/HD LiLs cost per month? I was betting on $7-10 on top of the analog LiLs.

You will get your local networks in HD at no extra charge.

And I need to second and stress Scotts all caps warning NOT TO CALL DIRECTV. First of all I am 100% sure you would be waisting your time. Second, you and the DIRECTV CSR can do nothing to expedite your upgrade whatsoever.

If you have an active DIRECTV HD account you will be contacted by DIRECTV's contracted HSP to schedule your upgrade. Upgrades by DIRECTV are only available to existing DIRECTV HD customers. All SD DIRECTV and potential new DIRECTV customers should call their favorite authorized DIRECTV dealer, (hopefully my company) to set up the MPEG2-4 HD and SD service.

-Robert

-Robert

JustBob said:
How can that be possible? I thought DirecTV had their bandwidth stretched to the limit already. Hence the need for MPEG-4. Are they able to move/add some HD MPEG-2 channels to the new satellite(s)? I know we'll need new equipment to get the MPEG-4 channels but I haven't heard if the new satellites will add to DirecTV's MPEG-2 bandwidth. Possibly temporarily?

-JustBob

See my post above. Commiting to moving either of the 2 to MPEG4 would open up a good share of MPEG2 bandwidth:

1) NFL Sunday Ticket HD (most likely)
2) NY/LA locals + DNS (less likely)

ShadowEKU said:
#63 is that by late 2006 or 2007?

Being #64 (Huntington/Charleston) I am right there with you.

Has anyone heard if the upgrade to MPEG4 is going to be available for self-install? I installed my own equipment every time I've upgraded or moved. I also don't want to waste vacation time to wait for an installer.

I heard no, the dish must be installed by a "professional" thus the $50 charge which I'm sure will be going to the installer.

It will take forever for technicians to get everyone installed, and every time D* speaks the price goes up. First free, then the 2 yr commitment with 300 dollar terminations fee, and now another 50 bucks?

That's the thing about being a CSR, we say we don't know anything, but we do. We're just not allowed to talk about it. Lame, I know, but I agree with it from a financial standpoint.

So I'm kind of new here

I have the HR10-250 and just bought it in June. So since I don't have the Non-DVR HD box, I have to pay full price for a H-20 until they release the new DVR boxand then do the exchange???
I'm confused.

vurbano said:
every time D* speaks the price goes up. First free, then the 2 yr commitment with 300 dollar terminations fee, and now another 50 bucks?

That's just it DirecTV NEVER officially said anything, you guys took rumors and hearsay as facts. Then get bent when real info is disseminated.

While DirecTV never officially said anything, I dont see how a customer should be forced into so much extra, especially one that signed up long before D* decided (on their own!) to change formats.

I can understand the 2 year commitment, just like now they are subsidizing the cost of the equipment. But the 300.00 termination fee seems kinda high, and the extra 50 bux is just ridiculous for early adopters who paid 500.00 to 1000.00 to have a DirecTV/HD box when they first came out. And keep in mind all of this extra is because D* is getting extra bandwidth. Shouldnt that be called "cost of doing business"? Its like how I once paid an "advertising fee" to a car dealer when I bought a new car. Why do I pay for them to advertise? Surely if I had my own business I wouldnt force a customer to pay for my advertising. Granted Im sure my own prices would reflect that, but I think its kinda presumptuous to add a line item specifically saying "pay for my advertising please", or in DirecTVs case "I know you may have paid an arm and a leg already, but give us more $$$ so we can continue charging you every month".

-Chris

I haven't seen anything that says that your current HD box will stop working, at least for a couple of years, you just won't get new programming that's offered in MPEG4. I also haven't seen anything that says D* will change their early termination policy that's currently you either pay the charge or just return the hardware.

As for the $50 upgrade charge to come out and install the new dish and switches, if necessary, is something that I'm not completly happy with but again, nobody's saying I have to do it, I just won't get new programming that's in MPEG4. When E* started to convert to 8PSK they wanted $99 for the module for your E* 6000 STB or a year commitment and that was for just one channel at the time, DiscoveryHDT. I don't remember as much as an uprising when that upgrade path was announced and that was just for one module you plugged into your existing receiver.

But then again, all this is based on rumors and unofficial information since I've yet to see anything on the D* website or any press releases from D* announcing the upgrade details and associated costs. Just my two cents.

ncfuser said:
I have the HR10-250 and just bought it in June. So since I don't have the Non-DVR HD box, I have to pay full price for a H-20 until they release the new DVR boxand then do the exchange???
I'm confused.

I'm in #12 and have that same thought. I just got an HR10-250 last weekend and know that I won't get HDDVR goodness for a while when MPEG4 comes out but I left my non-DVR HD box active (moved it to a SD TV in my house) and deactivated an old RCA box just in case!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)