Directv/Northwest Broadcasting progress?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wpark2419

Aug 18, 2012
Craigmont ID
I get my fox station from Spokane WA (Northwest Broadcasting) and now I no longer get it, again, because of contract disputes. I wasn't too concerned because this seems to happen quite a bit with different channels, but I have been trying to find information on how things are going with negotiations. There aren't really any news articles like there have been for other negotiations and directvpromise.com has no helpful information at all and hasn't been updated since I ever lost fox. I've even tried twitter but directv doesn't respond. But, I found on the fox website that they are not going to negotiate with directv, and I will not be getting my fox station back. Unfortunately I can get all the local stations over the air with an antenna except for fox. Directv says I can't get a different feed because I CAN get fox with an antenna...except I've tried and tried and I can't. Does anyone know if the fox website is accurate, or maybe they are just trying to scare directv customers? I would really hate to have to switch to dish network, but if I cannot get fox back I will unfortunately have to.

Mariah2014

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 21, 2006
Somewhere in Washington
They are not close. They had been just extending the old agreement while talks continued, but I don't believe they really ever made much progress. Having said that, they did go from being 600 percent apart to just 300 percent apart. I would expect the station to stay off tell at least labor day if not through the first Monday after the regular season NFL starts. Based on your listed location, you might qualify for DNS FOX service in this case. I believe Craigmont, ID is beyond the main transmission range of the stations in Spokane. Also 2 digital translators are in your area. Not sure if you can receive them via antenna or not.

The Grangeville signal is strong enough to cover your area. You may need something to help boost the signal though to be able to receive it.
https://maps.google.com/?q=http://t...ntour=51&city=_GRANGEVILLE,_ETC,&state=ID.kml

I get my fox station from Spokane WA (Northwest Broadcasting) and now I no longer get it, again, because of contract disputes. I wasn't too concerned because this seems to happen quite a bit with different channels, but I have been trying to find information on how things are going with negotiations. There aren't really any news articles like there have been for other negotiations and directvpromise.com has no helpful information at all and hasn't been updated since I ever lost fox. I've even tried twitter but directv doesn't respond. But, I found on the fox website that they are not going to negotiate with directv, and I will not be getting my fox station back. Unfortunately I can get all the local stations over the air with an antenna except for fox. Directv says I can't get a different feed because I CAN get fox with an antenna...except I've tried and tried and I can't. Does anyone know if the fox website is accurate, or maybe they are just trying to scare directv customers? I would really hate to have to switch to dish network, but if I cannot get fox back I will unfortunately have to.

Last edited:

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Your 170 miles from Spokane ?
Or did I look at the map wrong ...

I'm shocked that you can get ANY of the Spokane channels with an OTA antenna ...

That said, ALL the stations towers are in the same area, so IF you CAN get any, you should be able to get them all.

Good luck ...

Mariah2014

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 21, 2006
Somewhere in Washington
Only translators are that far down. No main signal reaches that far. Having said that not all of the towers in Spokane area are in one place. they are in 3 different places. Some Just south of Spokane on top of a ridge-top. Some up by Mt. Spokane, which is north of Spokane. Lastly a few just east of
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho on the mountain side just above it to its east. The main signals from all of the Spokane stations don't reach down past Pulman/Moscow area without a very large tower to receive them. The only separate station down their is KLEW channel 3 CBS.

Your 170 miles from Spokane ?
Or did I look at the map wrong ...

I'm shocked that you can get ANY of the Spokane channels with an OTA antenna ...

That said, ALL the stations towers are in the same area, so IF you CAN get any, you should be able to get them all.

Good luck ...

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Only translators are that far down. No main signal reaches that far. Having said that not all of the towers in Spokane area are in one place. they are in 3 different places. Some Just south of Spokane on top of a ridge-top. Some up by Mt. Spokane, which is north of Spokane. Lastly a few just east of
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho on the mountain side just above it to its east. The main signals from all of the Spokane stations don't reach down past Pulman/Moscow area without a very large tower to receive them. The only separate station down their is KLEW channel 3 CBS.

I figured it had to be some kind of repeater as 170 miles is way too far ...

That said, the info I looked up on antenna web mentioned that the main networks were all within maybe 5-10* from one another ... was that incorrect ?

Mariah2014

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 21, 2006
Somewhere in Washington
Nope ABC is northeast of Spokane. One of the PBS stations is to the East the rest are over about a 5 mile area to the Southeast of Downtown Spokane. Slightly southwest of the Spokane Valley. I believe one reason for your confusion on this is the fact that KXLY had always maintained a translator/ repeater transmitter South of Spokane. As far as I know they still do now, but I don't believe it has the same channel location as the primary transmitter. It always had a different channel number.
I figured it had to be some kind of repeater as 170 miles is way too far ...

That said, the info I looked up on antenna web mentioned that the main networks were all within maybe 5-10* from one another ... was that incorrect ?

Last edited:

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
I was looking at this info:

KREM-DT 2.1 CBS
RF Channel: 20
8 miles at 126° UHF
Red
KSKN-DT 22.1 CW
RF Channel: 36
8 miles at 126° UHF
Red
KSPS-DT 7.1 PBS
RF Channel: 7
8 miles at 133° VHF
Red
KXLY-DT 4.1 ABC
RF Channel: 13
22 miles at 90° VHF
Red
KHQ-DT 6.1 NBC
RF Channel: 15
8 miles at 131° UHF
Blue
KXMN-LP 11 ABC
RF Channel: 11
8 miles at 133° VHF
Blue
KAYU-DT 28.1 FOX
RF Channel: 28
8 miles at 131°

I saw Fox and CBS and ABC all close to each other 133, 126, and 131*, just figured that would all be able to be found seeing they are in the same general direction.

Mariah2014

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 21, 2006
Somewhere in Washington
Nope. ABC is at 90 degrees. Some used to call the antenna's sold in Spokane a Spokane special because of how the signals in the area were spread apart. Also the KXMN is an analog repeater of KXLY 4-2. The repeater of that station is on the tower the translator for the Spokane valley was for the analog signal of KXLY.
I was looking at this info:

KREM-DT 2.1 CBS
RF Channel: 20
8 miles at 126° UHF
Red
KSKN-DT 22.1 CW
RF Channel: 36
8 miles at 126° UHF
Red
KSPS-DT 7.1 PBS
RF Channel: 7
8 miles at 133° VHF
Red
KXLY-DT 4.1 ABC
RF Channel: 13
22 miles at 90° VHF
Red
KHQ-DT 6.1 NBC
RF Channel: 15
8 miles at 131° UHF
Blue
KXMN-LP 11 ABC
RF Channel: 11
8 miles at 133° VHF
Blue
KAYU-DT 28.1 FOX
RF Channel: 28
8 miles at 131°

I saw Fox and CBS and ABC all close to each other 133, 126, and 131*, just figured that would all be able to be found seeing they are in the same general direction.

wpark2419

Aug 18, 2012
Craigmont ID
Thank you all for the responses. I guess I'll call directv again and see if they will give me a different fox feed...but I'm not holding my breath. They've told me no twice already :) Thanks again!

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
There are translator stations for most of the stations in a town called Grangeville (tower is about 12 miles from your location) per tvfool
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=99007c2f87b633

K46HX is Idaho PBS
K26CK is ABC KXLY
K19BY is FOX KAYU
K43CI is Spokane PBS
K48DH is NBC KHQ

looks like its almost dead south of you (well 165 on a compass)

here is the list (click on the callsign to open up the dropdown for the station
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=k19by#station

wpark2419

Aug 18, 2012
Craigmont ID
Thank you Iceberg. I guess I'll go wriggle my antenna around some more. Kinda weird that I can get all the networks except fox, when there is a fox out of grangeville (that's only about 20 miles) plus I live on a prairie so there's no trees to block views or anything. Thanks again for your help!

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
from looking at it they're all on the same tower. So if one comes in the rest should
If you have a converter box or something that shows a meter you need channel 19 (it maps to 28)

wpark2419

Aug 18, 2012
Craigmont ID
I don't have a converter box. My tv has a tuner in it (I think that's what it's called). I do the auto scan for channels and I can get 13 channels with the antenna hooked up. I get the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS), a few pbs channels, and a few that I'm not sure what they are. None of them are fox though. I've moved the antenna all over and no matter where it is I'm getting the same channels. My antenna is in a window facing south, and from reading things online that's the best place for it where I live. I guess I'll have to deal with no fox for a while.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
He is probably grandfathered in. His market was added a couple years ago and if you have DNS before locals are added you can keep the DNS....as long as he doenst change anything ;)

wpark2419

Aug 18, 2012
Craigmont ID
He is probably grandfathered in. His market was added a couple years ago and if you have DNS before locals are added you can keep the DNS....as long as he doenst change anything ;)

Okay thanks, that's what I thought. I wish I would have known about that before the rules changed. I would love to have different feeds of the main networks.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
well this is interesting......I went to the DNS site and it says you MAY be able to get Fox LA (you cant get NY as its an earlier timezone)

Here is the site
http://directvselfserve.decisionmark.com/AddressEntry.aspx

and see what happens...worst case is they say no

When I use the post office there I get this
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 278

Mariah2014

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 21, 2006
Somewhere in Washington
Not sure how accurate that site is because it says I'm eligable for DNS for FOX and I can receive the main signal for KFFX directly without any problem. I also checked my old address in Spokane where KAYU was easly to pull and it says DNS is available their as well for FOX. This leads me to believe that site isn't accurate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)