DirecTV Price Increase Effective 2/27/08

Status
Please reply by conversation.
March of every year D* has a $3.00 increase..........
example.....this is my bill> 02-06 TC+ was 45.99.......03-06 TC+ went to 48.99........03-07 TC+ went to 51.99......03-08 TC+ will be 54.99.

and what does this mean? $2.99/mo. if subscribing to both the LA and
NY DNS feeds, and to $11.99 for the 4 Network Package DNS dual feed.
Is that not that same thing?
I have NY/LA feeds (all 4) at 2.25ea per month.........so will it now be 2.99ea or 11.99?

Thought this was interesting:
All Channels 769
Channels I get 678
My favorites 70---------41 are HD but 8 has NO HD
so my bill keeps going up yet I get less and less channels that I want

If it weren't for the fact that I'm a news junkie I could get everything I want from my computer and watch it via internet, piped to my TV. Sure all of the normal shows would be a day late, but so what? I can get all my baseball that way, and most of my NCAA football. There is going to be a bigger and bigger market for internet to TV and sooner or later it's going to hurt D*.

On the other side....I just check my local Comcast and including premiums they STILL only have 11 HD channels!!!! HOLY COW!!!! When AT&T gets here they are going to blow them away!!!

If it weren't for the fact that I'm a news junkie I could get everything I want from my computer and watch it via internet, piped to my TV. Sure all of the normal shows would be a day late, but so what? I can get all my baseball that way, and most of my NCAA football. There is going to be a bigger and bigger market for internet to TV and sooner or later it's going to hurt D*.

On the other side....I just check my local Comcast and including premiums they STILL only have 11 HD channels!!!! HOLY COW!!!! When AT&T gets here they are going to blow them away!!!

The question I would like answered is will IPTV suffer from the same problems
as cable? Mainly service interruptions.If the answer comes out to be yes,then
DirecTV's place will be secure.;)

Plus I can't see IPTV making it's way out to the Boonies very soon.;)

Question:

I read all the fine print in the PDF that was posted about the price increase.

I am under the price protection as I signed up in October.

My question is, if I downgrade BEFORE Feb 27th will I still get the discounted rate? The fine print makes it sound like you will loose it but it does not say if that starts now or after the price increase?

What do you mean by downgrade? If you're in a promo (first year discounted rate) that will stay the same until your 1 year is up. Changing the package shouldn't affect that, because the discount is just a monthly credit for 12 months.

I mean I have the $99 everything pack. If I downgrade to say one package lower, would I loose the discount for being in the contract.

Many channels that you like have other channels that they own that you may not care about that are required by the provider to place in order for the main channel you want to be viewed as well.
That is exactly what needs to be changed. The providers should not be allowed to require you to take a channel that you don't want in order to get a channel that you do want. Even if it takes legislation to change this then it should be done. Then we can have true ala carte and the greedy providers won't be able to do anything about it.

That is exactly what needs to be changed. The providers should not be allowed to require you to take a channel that you don't want in order to get a channel that you do want. Even if it takes legislation to change this then it should be done. Then we can have true ala carte and the greedy providers won't be able to do anything about it.

Like others have said, ala carte will only raise prices.

New Rates for DIRECTV® Service: New prices indicated below take effect February 27, 2008, and will appear on billing statements issued after that date. See the detailed
information below as it relates to your service.
If you are a new customer who started with DIRECTV on a national promotional 12 month offer, we are honoring your current base package price for the remainder of
your 12 month promotional offer period. Accordingly, to maintain your price, your next month’s bill will show the new prices along with a credit. Note: If you change your
current base package, your credits will be forfeited in their entirety.

Base Packages: Base packages include local channels, where available. If DIRECTV does not offer local channels in your area, programming packages are $3/mo. less than the
listed prices. Visit directv.com/locals to check availability by ZIP code. Packages and their new prices: PREMIER™ $104.99/mo.; LO MÁXIMO™ $104.99/mo.; PLUS HD DVR™
$72.99/mo.; PLUS DVR™ $62.99/mo.; CHOICE XTRA™ $57.99/mo.; FAMILIAR ULTRA™ $54.99/mo.; CHOICE™ $52.99/mo.; FAMILIAR™ $45.99/mo.; PREFERRED CHOICE™
$32.99/mo.; SELECT $45.99/mo.
The following base packages*: TOTAL CHOICE®, TOTAL CHOICE® PLUS, TOTAL CHOICE SELECT™, OPCIÓN ULTRA ESPECIAL®, OPCIÓN EXTRA ESPECIAL®, OPCIÓN
EXTRA™, DIRECTV Limited, PLUS DIRECTV, SELECT CHOICE® and TOTAL CHOICE LIMITED will increase up to an additional $3/mo. OPCIÓN PREMIER® will increase up
to an additional $5/mo. Distant Network Service (DNS) prices will increase to $1.99/mo. if subscribing to a single feed and to $2.99/mo. if subscribing to both the LA and
NY DNS feeds, and to $11.99 for the 4 Network Package DNS dual feed.
Outdoor Channel (a la carte customers only) price will increase to $2.99/mo.
*These packages are no longer available for sale. Customers who currently subscribe to these packages may maintain them as long as their account is in good standing,
as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion.
Other Packages: HBO® Premium Movie Service increases an additional $1/mo. (except where included in PREMIER, OPCIÓN PREMIER® and LO MÁXIMO). Prices of other
premium movie services do not change. TOTAL CHOICE MOBILE increases an additional $3/mo.
For complete pricing and packaging information, visit directv.com/packages. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change at any time. Hardware and programming available
separately. Pricing is residential. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to the terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; a copy is provided at directv.com/legal and in
your bill or in the first month notification. ©2007 DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo, TOTAL CHOICE, PREMIER, FAMILIAR, FAMILIAR ULTRA, LO MÁXIMO, PREFERRED CHOICE
and all other WorldDirect service names are trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners. 12/07 29579CSS-0
0308IPCPRI A374

If you down grade according to this you forfeit your discount.

My question is WHEN does it start that you would loose the discount for changing?

What if I downgraded last month do I loose the discount?

What if I downgraded 2 weeks ago before I got the notice in the mail?

What about yesterday? I downgraded Yesterday from Premier to that HD Plus DVR package, the CSR did not say anything about a rate increase.
Am I still grand fathered?

Or does it start the 27th?

Last edited:
Holy Moly, I knew this was coming, but I almost had a stroke when I saw my bill yesterday. I have Premier and still like it but all of the "fees" are nickel and diming me to death.

Greedy providers?.Not greedy programmers?.Well let me tell you it's been done before with C Band systems.Also if this ever happens I guess we will find out,because with the C Band systems you received more channels for a cheaper price with packages.But I also believe this needs to happen so subscribers can say"What? They want that much for just that one channel"?.;)

Holy Moly, I knew this was coming, but I almost had a stroke when I saw my bill yesterday. I have Premier and still like it but all of the "fees" are nickel and diming me to death.

Well if you have had Premier for awhile and are grandfathered in with the DVR
fee being included.Your basically saving money,because once you change your
package you will not be able to include the DVR fee with Premier again.;)

Yup I saw my bill and immediately dropped their protection plan.

Well I for one have taken care of the price increase with D by canceling. I now have E HD only package and I am saving about $35 a month. No it's not quite as good as D, but in my case its about saving money, I have no choice.

Well I for one have taken care of the price increase with D by canceling. I now have E HD only package and I am saving about $35 a month. No it's not quite as good as D, but in my case its about saving money, I have no choice.

I don't want to turn this into a D* vs E* war, but I have to ask how you are getting the same programming on E* for $35 a month cheaper than D*?

I had D* for years, changed to E*, then to Comcrap, and then back to D*, and can see no possible way you can save that kind of change except by downgrading your programming severely.

Thanks for the non-combative reply. :)

I don't want to turn this into a D* vs E* war, but I have to ask how you are getting the same programming on E* for $35 a month cheaper than D*?

I had D* for years, changed to E*, then to Comcrap, and then back to D*, and can see no possible way you can save that kind of change except by downgrading your programming severely.

I have both E* and D* right now and There's no way I can have the same programming and Pay $35 LESS Then one or the other. Maybe in a year! But its sounds like he said he downgraded!

He doesnt have the exact same programming, he now has the HD ONLY package, so while he gives up some (sd) channels he saves money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts