DirecTV sold

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Murdoch Waves Goodbye to His 'Turd Bird' (aka DirecTV)

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/80132

It looks like the long-rumored DirecTV share swap between Liberty Media and News Corp. is about to take off. Liberty has long held a 16% stake in News Corp. that Rupert Murdoch didn't like. Now he's trading John Malone his 38% stake in DirecTV to get it. The swap would give Liberty a controlling stake in DirecTV.

Owning several broadband networks in other countries, Murdoch had hoped that DirecTV would be his ticket into the broadband business in the United States. As many of you probably remember (and would like to forget), DirecTV already had one stint as a broadband provider, and it ended painfully.

The media mogul talked frequently this year about a theoretical billion dollar plan to get DirecTV back into the broadband business, this time as a nationwide Wimax operator. Plenty of scenarios were floated, from a partnership with Wimax operator Clearwire to a merger with Echostar.

But nothing seemed to go Murdoch's way.

The FCC's Kevin Martin hinted that while he likes a good old fashioned telco merger, he wouldn't sign off on such a huge DBS deal. Murdoch also struggled in the AWS spectrum auction, losing out to mobile carriers and the combined muscle of Sprint and the cable industry - who technically nabbed enough spectrum to become the nation's fifth largest wireless provider.

Murdoch then called the DirecTV unit a "turd bird" and expedited the Liberty deal. Speculation has been rife over whether Malone will keep pushing on the broadband or Echostar merger fronts. Investors like the idea of Malone ownership; shares of DirecTV have jumped 20% since rumors of the swap surfaced last September.

Malone help found and run Telecommunications Incorporated (TCI) Cable until he sold it to Att in 1999. As part of the transaction he kept his part of Liberty Media plus tookover AT&T's stake in Liberty Media and became chairman of that corporation where he has been ever since.

I just got off a company conference call and Directv has decided to slash the number of upgrades till after the stock trade to show a bigger profit so Liberty takes the current offer of DTV stocks. The company I work for says that upgrades can only be 8% of total work orders.

What this means for those of you on a waiting list for a DVR, HD DVR, HD, Locals or HD Locals upgrade, your SOL till 2007.

Man this is going to be a fun end to Q4 working for DTV.

I'm sorry, did you say D* and "profit" in the same sentence? ;)

I guess this means that those long rumored Fox Channels are now history.

My assumption is that anything of the sort will just be re-branded with a Liberty or DirecTv-whatever type name; or whatever re-naming he may decide to do.

I don't know about the new guy, but does anyone know of any company or publication Murdoch has ever acquired and made better for the consumer?

How could the new guy do worse or make more stupid decisions for D* than NewsCorp?

Fox for one.

Now, if you want to see decisions that have never been made for the consumer, check out Mallone.

This opens the door and removes the barriers from an eventual merger of DTV and Echostar. At least two articles have recently been published to that effect concerning this latest move. Both stated it was highly probable within 24 months. Gosh the Dish guys won't have anywhere to troll any longer.

This opens the door and removes the barriers from an eventual merger of DTV and Echostar. At least two articles have recently been published to that effect concerning this latest move. Both stated it was highly probable within 24 months. Gosh the Dish guys won't have anywhere to troll any longer.

So your saying that a Dish/Directv Merger is in the works still.... ?

So your saying that a Dish/Directv Merger is in the works still.... ?

That's not what I'm saying. Thats what some wall street business reports are saying. Just that this aquisition by Malone opens the door for a probable merger in less than two years. The only news which is new is that Malone's aquisition makes it a highly probable situation and that it would result in a new company with a new name using merged operations, equipment and personnel. Google it. It is still a long ways off and not a done deal by any means. Just that the probability went way up with this deal. :D

It still doesn't remove the largest hurdle; the fact the government doesn't like the idea of there being only one remaining DBS service for US customers if a merger happens; this has been the merger idea'ss death every time.

I have not said much about this nor have we posted it on the homepage. This is major news, however its not news yet.

It seems like the media is making a big deal out of this when NOTHING has been officially anounced by DirecTV yet. By saying that DirecTV has been sold is like saying Santa Claus is coming to town. Its going to happen we all know it, however it has not happened yet.

(excuse my santa claus reference, im just in the holiday mood today) ;)

It is going to happen, it just has not happened yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ddoes anyone use an RCA OTA antenna? Others?

Are You Eligible for DNS with D*?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts