DIRECTV Told to Yank Ads Featuring Rob Lowe After Comcast Complaints

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sorry, who are they to tell anyone how to advertise. Comcast is never mentioned in any of the commercials. Personally I hate them and find them annoying. So that's my option to skip forward or change the channel.

S~

From what I read, the gist was that they could either pull them voluntarily or get hit with a false advertisement law suite. I think the whole thing is a joke. There are very few advertisements on TV for any company where a case couldn't be made for false advertisement.

Yes, this is a practice that needs to die but it seems weird to single out one company for it when the entire advertising industry is built around this stuff.

Reactions: Jimbo
I have a question...What if anything was Rob Lowe doing in Tv or Movies?.....Anser? Nothing. D* got his name out in the public domain again
He was in "Parks and Recreation" which just ended on NBC. His character there was a big health fanatic who seemed to be shooting for a body fat percentage of zero.

He was in "Parks and Recreation" which just ended on NBC. His character there was a big health fanatic who seemed to be shooting for a body fat percentage of zero.
He had a couple Cameo's in Franklin and Bash as well. It did appear as a resurrection for him though.

D* at this point probably doesn't really care one way or another ...
This Ad Campain is about used up and over anyways.

The first several commercials were good, then it just ran on and on ... time to pull it anyways.

DirecTV Parts Way With Rob Lowe After Comcast Complaint https://www.yahoo.com/tv/directv-rob-lowe-comcast-115853475145.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma
(Updated with comment from DirecTV on April 7 at 7.40 p.m. PT)Don’t be like DirecTV, the Better Business Bureau’s National Advertising Division (NAD) says.The watchdog group has recommended that DirecTV discontinue its popular Rob Lowe ads, which feature the handsome actor taking on what the commercial group called “one of several odd or awkward alter-ego characters.” The ads that always end with Lowe’s spoken tagline, “Don’t be like this me — Get rid of cable and upgrade to DirecTV,” may not be long for your small screen, thanks to a complaint filed by cable provider Comcast Corporation.The NAD found that several of the ad campaign’s claims could not be substantiated, or were even flat-out unfair.“While humor can be an effective and creative way for advertisers to highlight the differences between their products and their competitor’s, humor and hyperbole do not relieve an advertiser of the obligation to support messages that their advertisements might reasonably convey — especially if the advertising disparages a competitor’s product,” the NAD said on Tuesday.

They'll probably go after this commercial for false advertising too,because horses don't really talk in real life.

Yes they do Horses speak horse language I never heard one speak in English

Maybe it is a man under the horse skin getting his workout for the day?

I have no issue with these commercials, or if they are pulled.

I remember years ago when Time Warner had their own commercials attacking Satellite TV, the ones with that Mike O'Malley on how Satellite hates Puppies, so why choose Satellite, they annoyed me so much.

Reactions: ChadT41
I have no issue with these commercials, or if they are pulled.

I remember years ago when Time Warner had their own commercials attacking Satellite TV, the ones with that Mike O'Malley on how Satellite hates Puppies, so why choose Satellite, they annoyed me so much.
Those are the ones I was thinking of.

Those are the ones I was thinking of.

They annoyed me so much. I remember people actually buying into those commercials, I know people who won't switch to DirecTV or Dish Network because Time Warner says they are unreliable and crappy. I've had DirecTV since 2006(Except for 2009 when I had Dish for a little while) and have never had an issue with reliability or anything. Great CS, I can't speak any highly of them, I prefer Satellite over Cable TV any day. I do like my Internet to a certain degree, I have TWC but because I don't have AT&T UVerse or FiOS in my area, wish I did. My TWC has been going out, and seems to slow down at night, Idk why but it's just weird.

Anyway, those commercials were so annoying, anytime I see anything like that, especially on local channels, as DirecTV doesn't regulate what's shown like they do with the other channels, I just shut them off. Or if at my dad's who has TWC, I refuse to watch them, he even hates them.

Now don't get me wrong, I think having all different options is great, not everyone wants Cable or Satellite, which is fine, but I do find the bashing of certain companies/providers to be childish, especially when they say stupid things like "Well Satellite hates Puppies" So stupid.

At this point, as with all BBB threads on all subjects, note that the BBB is not really a "bureau" of any form or level of government. It is a shake down outfit that rates companies based on whether or not they pay a fee to the BBB. It has NO authority to have "told" DirecTV anything. The fact that DirecTV has told the BBB to pound sand for years, while COMCAST !!!! (the nation's lowest rated company in any field) pays up is well documented.

Anybody who deals with the BBB is probably out to cheat you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)