DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Im saying..they dont watch sports..so they wont spend $ 300 just because its not on directv
My son (32) watches sports, has MLB package and Hulu bundle with ESPN+, since it includes Center Ice, he was able to watch every reg season Red Wing game, also has Paramount+ to watch March Madness, he also plans on getting NFLST when it goes streaming.

You know what he does not have, Traditional TV and he has the money to pay for it, he just finds no need to have it.

Hipcat is a Dish installer and he says most of his jobs are all over 60 years old, a few around 50, that is the story of 40 and younger, they just do not care about Traditional TV.

You still have at least another 8-10 years before you have to start worrying about Sats ....

Which fits into my timeframe.
Why can't you stream ichigan football games ?
Most are on FOX, Fox Sports should have all the games.

I haven't needed to stream any Buckeye games as they are on TRADITIONAL TV just fine every week.
I think MOST of ichigan games are also on traditional tv ... when I was helping friends in Florida, they never had any issues getting Buckeye games, why would ichigan be any different ?
I do get BTN with YTTV here in Florida, I just wish I can get it, CNN and CNBC by themselves, then I would drop YTTV because those are the only things I watch live, reg ESPN is only watched during the NFL season.

All other shows on Traditional Channels, I watch on the streaming services for the better quality, for example I watch CBS shows on Paramount+ because they are in 1080P ( and they look almost 4K with the Sony’s superior processing ) and Dolby Digital +.

Reactions: Jimbo
Its been available to Students for quite awhile now.
That said, its still not available to just anybody, still have to be a D* sub.
I typed in my address in Orlando and they said I can get it. I live in a home and also can get Directv with no issues but they still said I can buy it as a streaming service only with no service. Many online have said the same thing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 30
I typed in my address in Orlando and they said I can get it. I live in a home and also can get Directv with no issues but they still said I can buy it as a streaming service only with no service. Many online have said the same thing.
I am in Kissimmee, no way for me, I tried before.

This is what it said-

Sorry, your address is not eligible.​

Don’t worry, the game is not over! You may be able to get the 2022 season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET at no extra cost with a qualifying DIRECTV programming package.

No, you don't have to be a D* sub. If you have no line of site, or live in an MDU, it is available without being a D* sub.
Well, it seems to be a gray area because I can get it and I don't have any of those. I'm not a sub and I can get it via Satellite and I live in a house. And believe me, I"m not alone.

This is what it said-

Don’t worry, the game is not over! You may be able to get the 2022 season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET at no extra cost with a qualifying DIRECTV programming package.

This is what it said-

Everyone on my street can get it. South of Sea World.

Probably because they have changed thier business model to PUSH Streaming as much as they possibly can.

They no longer give a damn about thier 20+ year subs, or any others.

No hatred..just unbelief that they would pay so much for a service that only has 2 million customers
2 million now that is only available to 15-20 million. Do you think any company spending billions of dollars hasn't done some market research on the number of people that might subscribe if they could do so via an easily accessible streaming service?

This is what it said-

Maybe you need to change your address to:

123 Shady Acres Lane
Treestown, FL
You want them to spend $300 on a bunch of games they probably wont watch
Yes, yes I do. I want you all to spend $300 on a bunch of games you won't watch. Please enter the code YESPAGE when subscribing... I'm totally not getting a cut.

2 million now that is only available to 15-20 million. Do you think any company spending billions of dollars hasn't done some market research on the number of people that might subscribe if they could do so via an easily accessible streaming service?
Thats why nobody has signed a deal yet

mod hat on:
Too many of you are insulting other members. If you don't stop you will get a vacation.
mod hat off:

But the current year is 2022, and there are a generation plus worth of people that don't do sat/cable.

Yes. These are called “people that don’t like sports”. I get that. Streaming only, as opposed to the majority that use streaming as a supplement, allows people to opt out of paying for mainstream US/Canada popular sports. Got it.
I have no idea what the numbers need to be for the winner to break even,

I do. The NFL wants $2.5B with a B. At $300 per it would need over 8M subscribers, which is 5 times as many as ST now has, or about 50 to 60% of the people that watch the “free” 4:00 game every week. Of course commercial sites pay more, but still the package WILL NOT and CAN NOT ever make a cent. It is a loss leader, designed to force customers to buy something else, in order to get access to it.

The sad part for the consumer, particularly for commercial places, is, leaving out also having to buy video quality internet they otherwise don’t need, there is very little/nothing on Prime or ATV+ they want to pay for, but will be force to.
but the math is different via streaming, because there is definitely a growing percentage of people streaming over sat/cable'ing.
K. But DirecTV, the fastest growing consumer product in history, ALWAYS lost money on ST. Always. The fact that streaming is growing (although it is clearly leveling off) is not relevant. The math is clear. No one can make money at that price, no matter the delivery method. Thus the predication.

Reactions: Jimbo and Juan
I do. The NFL wants $2.5B with a B. At $300 per it would need over 8M subscribers, which is 5 times as many as ST now has, or about 50 to 60% of the people that watch the “free” 4:00 game every week. Of course commercial sites pay more, but still the package WILL NOT and CAN NOT ever make a cent. It is a loss leader, designed to force customers to buy something else, in order to get access to it.
Well if they sell it like MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP and not have the $B up front fee for any number of subscribers
The sad part for the consumer, particularly for commercial places, is, leaving out also having to buy video quality internet they otherwise don’t need, there is very little/nothing on Prime or ATV+ they want to pay for, but will be force to.
+ new tv boxes + maybe an new network switch + maybe an bigger TV switcher + maybe an bigger / better cooling for the TV hardware rack.

Does Prime TV / ATV+ really have any commercial tv stuff? and no adding an $200-1000/mo (movie / tv pass ) to cover rights for the Prime TV content is useless for an sports bar and also some stuff can't be shown or payed for in an public view setting like (HBO)

Yes. These are called “people that don’t like sports”. I get that. Streaming only, as opposed to the majority that use streaming as a supplement, allows people to opt out of paying for mainstream US/Canada popular sports. Got it.
Once again, Sports are streaming and the number of events going to streaming will increase, in 3-5 years at the most, every sporting event will be streaming, a lot only streaming.

The main reason is, in 5 years, a lot of Traditional Providers will no longer be profitable because of the loss of subscribers.

As far as sports I get ( and want to watch) via Streaming Apps-I get the Tigers via the MLB Package, I get the Red Wings via ESPN+, I could get March Madness via Paramount+ but I care nothing about Basketball, NBA either, I get NFL on both Paramount+ and Peacock, etc.

As I said before, once Michigan Football is available via a streaming app ( CNN and CNBC also), I am dropping YTTV.
But with Streaming they have a better possibility of getting that 8 million then they do with DirecTV, there are over 100 million with Broadband, only 10-11 million with DirecTV.
The sad part for the consumer, particularly for commercial places, is, leaving out also having to buy video quality internet
I do not know what you mean, paying for faster speeds or the picture quality?

If faster speeds, they say you can get 4K with as low as 25-50 downstream.

If you are being critical of the picture quality, streaming looks so much better, the sound also.

Just about everything is in 1080P/4K/DV/HDR and looks so much better then Traditional Providers.

I know you watch Star Trek Strange New Worlds on P+, you cannot tell me you have not noticed how great that show looks in 4K/DV.
there is very little/nothing on Prime or ATV+ they want to pay for, but will be force to.
That is your personal opinion, there are a lot of great shows on Prime and Apple TV, too many to name, between Netflix, Prime, HBOMAX, Paramount+, Disney+ and Apple TV, there is so much that I wish to watch but I can never catch up because they keep adding more.

For example, two big shows starting up, Sandman on Netflix and Lord of the Rings on Prime will be day one watches for me.
But DirecTV, the fastest growing consumer product in history
If true, that was way in the past, now they are the service that has lost about 12 million subs in 8 years and hoping for a merger with Dish.
ALWAYS lost money on ST. Always.
But years ago, they picked up a lot of subs with ST, they made it worth it.
The fact that streaming is growing (although it is clearly leveling off) is not relevant.
Where is streaming leveling off, in the first quarter, all the streaming services gained subs, some a lot, the only exception was Netflix, Fubo and Sling.

Even the two big Live TV Services gained, together they have over 9 million subs, more then Dish has and almost as many as DirecTV Satellite has, pretty good in their short lifespan.

Except for Netflix, 2nd quarter numbers are not out yet.
The math is clear. No one can make money at that price, no matter the delivery method. Thus the predication.
No one knows how many subs NFLST will pick up, just that it should be more because of 90 million more potential customers ( and no, I do not predict they will get that many), there are other ways to make money with it, targeted ads are a big money producer in the streaming world for one example.

$55 million rights fee and $30 million worth of advertising for Friday Night Baseball and watching the game and listening to the announcers on Apple TV. APPLE TV CAN'T GET THE NFL. Apple needs to stay away from Football. MLB on Apple has been a total disaster. Google "Joey Votto has a thick knob". Kids in the announcer's booth. Wow. What an embarrassment.

Andrew Marchand and John Ourand have a pretty good sports media podcast. This week's edition mentions the looming Sunday Ticket deal.

They seems to think that if it was a simple rights deal it would have been done by now. What's holding up things is that the NFL wants to include partial ownership of NFL Media. Not sure if the new NFL+ would be part of that. Control over NFL RedZone may be tied in as well.

Comments coming out of the NFL indicate that it would not be the same Sunday Ticket that DirecTV has offered. Rumors are packages by game or team.....

If any/all of this comes to a fruition, the inane discussions in this thread around profitability will end up looking pretty silly....

Reactions: meStevo
$55 million rights fee and $30 million worth of advertising for Friday Night Baseball and watching the game and listening to the announcers. APPLE TV CAN'T GET THE NFL. I can officially say Apple needs to stay away from Football. MLB on Apple has been a total disaster. Google "Joey Votto has a thick knob". Kids in the announcer's booth
I believe they will have the same announcers that are on the broadcast channels for NFLST.

Now, Amazon’s TNF will have their own announcers, new guys, names are Al Michaels and Kirk Herbstreit I believe.

Reactions: Yespage
I believe they will have the same announcers that are on the broadcast channels for NFLST.

Now, Amazon’s TNF will have their own announcers, new guys, names are Al Michaels and Kirk Herbstreit I believe.
Al Michaels is fine for Thursday Night Football. If Apple was to use announcers that actually know the game, unlike MLB Friday Night, it might work.

Once again, Sports are streaming and the number of events going to streaming will increase, in 3-5 years at the most, every sporting event will be streaming, a lot only streaming.

The main reason is, in 5 years, a lot of Traditional Providers will no longer be profitable because of the loss of subscribers.

As far as sports I get ( and want to watch) via Streaming Apps-I get the Tigers via the MLB Package, I get the Red Wings via ESPN+, I could get March Madness via Paramount+ but I care nothing about Basketball, NBA either, I get NFL on both Paramount+ and Peacock, etc.

As I said before, once Michigan Football is available via a streaming app ( CNN and CNBC also), I am dropping YTTV.

But with Streaming they have a better possibility of getting that 8 million then they do with DirecTV, there are over 100 million with Broadband, only 10-11 million with DirecTV.

I do not know what you mean, paying for faster speeds or the picture quality?

If faster speeds, they say you can get 4K with as low as 25-50 downstream.

If you are being critical of the picture quality, streaming looks so much better, the sound also.

Just about everything is in 1080P/4K/DV/HDR and looks so much better then Traditional Providers.

I know you watch Star Trek Strange New Worlds on P+, you cannot tell me you have not noticed how great that show looks in 4K/DV.

That is your personal opinion, there are a lot of great shows on Prime and Apple TV, too many to name, between Netflix, Prime, HBOMAX, Paramount+, Disney+ and Apple TV, there is so much that I wish to watch but I can never catch up because they keep adding more.

For example, two big shows starting up, Sandman on Netflix and Lord of the Rings on Prime will be day one watches for me.

If true, that was way in the past, now they are the service that has lost about 12 million subs in 8 years and hoping for a merger with Dish.

But years ago, they picked up a lot of subs with ST, they made it worth it.

Where is streaming leveling off, in the first quarter, all the streaming services gained subs, some a lot, the only exception was Netflix, Fubo and Sling.

Even the two big Live TV Services gained, together they have over 9 million subs, more then Dish has and almost as many as DirecTV Satellite has, pretty good in their short lifespan.

Except for Netflix, 2nd quarter numbers are not out yet.

No one knows how many subs NFLST will pick up, just that it should be more because of 90 million more potential customers ( and no, I do not predict they will get that many), there are other ways to make money with it, targeted ads are a big money producer in the streaming world for one example.
Preaseason local NFL games were streamed for free last season..now the NFL wants $4.99...despite you can get them from various stations on the tune in app for free..same with regular reason games...will people pay $300+ for sunday ticket? Only in the NFL lala land where greed rules

Status
Please reply by conversation.