DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well that lays the groundwork for ST at Amazon and the bars still getting it.

The problem with amazon is that they don't have any customer support for streaming issues..they just send customers in circles

You do realize that streaming has just taking over in viewers vs Live TV service.
Nope I don’t realize that, because I can do math. “Live TV” AKA linear TV includes both OTA TV channels and “cable” TV channels, which were far greater than streaming was.

But what a news flash. In the deadest of TV times, people watch a melodrama on streaming. Probably, if such statistics s were taken, Blockbuster probably did the same 20 years ago. See you in September.

The problem with amazon is that they don't have any customer support for streaming issues..they just send customers in circles
I have troubles streaming Amazon as often as with Sat signal with Dish.

And with this announcement we understand that streaming just isn’t ready for prime time for one game, the lowest rated of the week. Which means ST will, almost certainly, likewise be provided for businesses via DirecTV for many years to come.

Expecting businesses to pay for the level of internet needed to stream upwards of 13 different HD feeds at a time, even if they are in the minority of the country where such a thing is available is silly. As is calling such an unneeded thing an “upgrade”.

The real questions now are these:

* Will DirecTV be involved in ST for homes? There are people, not many, but people who have commercial style set ups and consume the whole day in a private place. They want DirecTV ST. They cannot, no one can, afford the level of internet needed for 13 HD streams.

* Will DirecTV be a or the reseller of ST. If it stays commercial only, my guess would be the. Which is just simply a master stroke by DirecTV. They can keep their signature product available for their best customers (commercial customers) and not have to pay for it. Master stroke.

* When the complaints start to roll in about streaming to homes, does the NFL, which needs not the bad PR, open up the DirecTV signal to homes?

Reactions: ejb1980 and Jimbo
And with this announcement we understand that streaming just isn’t ready for prime time for one game, the lowest rated of the week. Which means ST will, almost certainly, likewise be provided for businesses via DirecTV for many years to come.
Interesting spin there. Sunday Ticket definitely seems to be heading to streaming... and this implies bars will continue with distribution through Directv.

* Will DirecTV be involved in ST for homes?
No. Cow, barn, door...
There are people, not many, but people who have commercial style set ups and consume the whole day in a private place. They want DirecTV ST. They cannot, no one can, afford the level of internet needed for 13 HD streams.
13 HD streams? What, at 20 Mbps, that be less than half a Gig. Most people can't afford to have the set ups to show 13 games at the same time.
* Will DirecTV be a or the reseller of ST. If it stays commercial only, my guess would be the. Which is just simply a master stroke by DirecTV. They can keep their signature product available for their best customers (commercial customers) and not have to pay for it. Master stroke.
It would appear to be a best of both worlds scenario for Directv there.
* When the complaints start to roll in about streaming to homes, does the NFL, which needs not the bad PR, open up the DirecTV signal to homes?
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! The NFL will be too busy counting the money from the deal to care.

Reactions: meStevo
This is a deal with Amazon and TNF, what if Apple gets ST?

Apple has a history of not wanting to play with others.
Expecting businesses to pay for the level of internet needed to stream upwards of 13 different HD feeds at a time, even if they are in the minority of the country where such a thing is available is silly. As is calling such an unneeded thing an “upgrade”.
Pretty soon they are going to have too.

* Will DirecTV be involved in ST for homes? There are people, not many, but people who have commercial style set ups and consume the whole day in a private place. They want DirecTV ST. They cannot, no one can, afford the level of internet needed for 13 HD streams.
If they have a Commercial style set up in their home, they can afford it.

And 13 streams is nothing, I remember a few days back in Michigan during the lockdown where each of us was watching something in 4K in different rooms (Son in his room, also on the computer at the same time, daughter in hers doing the same, wife in the living room, me in the basement also on the ipad), internet did not even blink.
You ( and I) have no idea what the terms were to have TNF on DirecTV, if DirecTV is selling it, there is some kind of monetary deal happening.
NFL-

View: https://youtu.be/UJOjTNuuEVw

It seems like only commercial accounts will qualify. Can residential account holders have a commercial account? If so, there can't be too many of those to be a concern.
What do you mean by "not have to pay for it"? The customers or DirecTV?
No. A customer with streaming issues would contact Amazon and/or their interweb provider.

Pretty soon they are going to have too.

If they have a Commercial style set up in their home, they can afford it.

And 13 streams is nothing, I remember a few days back in Michigan during the lockdown where each of us was watching something in 4K in different rooms (Son in his room, also on the computer at the same time, daughter in hers doing the same, wife in the living room, me in the basement also on the ipad), internet did not even blink.

You ( and I) have no idea what the terms were to have TNF on DirecTV, if DirecTV is selling it, there is some kind of monetary deal happening.

NFL-

View: https://youtu.be/UJOjTNuuEVw

Your retired and still have the kids living at home ?

Your retired and still have the kids living at home ?
First, I am only 55, retired at 52.

Second, daughter was still in College, which was canceled because of Covid in 2020 and she then returned home since the dorms were closed.

Son moved back in to help with his Mom and her failing health at the time in September 2019, which I asked him to do so I could get out and do errands and the like.

Glad they were there, specially after I bought the new house in July 2020, had to fly back and forth every week to get the house ready for the move in September.

They now both have their own places, Son owns a home, daughter rents a apartment, but looking for a house to buy.

Reactions: Yespage and Jimbo
- Projecting DBS subscriber losses into the future is a fool’s errand. The market, more or less, was cable or DBS. Then came a third option and, more or less EVERYBODY who can be satisfied with just streaming has just streaming. They are not the “early adopters” of some soon to be universal trend. They are, rather, the only adopters. Everybody else is fine with linear TV. Thanks.

- Understand that Canada, with 1/10th the potential customers, has 2 robust DBS companies making profits

Canada is adopting streaming at an increasing rate as well, as DBS providers shed customers and cord cutting and consuming content from other services increases.

If you bothered to post any citations at all you'd have certainly found the same.

All Apple would have to do is make a deal to sell the rights to Directv. Directv would receive feeds from the networks the same way they do now so the only "playing with others" for Apple would be cashing their check.

The Amazon deal is actually the (slightly) more complicated of the two because it is Amazon producing the games, so Amazon has to deliver the feed to Directv when previously Directv picked it up from the networks.

The Amazon deal is actually the (slightly) more complicated of the two because it is Amazon producing the games, so Amazon has to deliver the feed to Directv when previously Directv picked it up from the networks.
amazon also needs to feed it to the teams local OTA channels as well.

Reactions: slice1900
It seems like only commercial accounts will qualify. Can residential account holders have a commercial account? If so, there can't be too many of those to be a concern.
You can, but it costs more.
What do you mean by "not have to pay for it"? The customers or DirecTV?
In the case of TNF, neither, which surprises me.

But as to ST, it looks like DirecTV will be the (maybe a) reseller of ST. Customers will pay, but DirecTV will just be an agent for A or A for the many businesses ( and maybe homes) where streaming just cannot get it done. So, at least on the commercial side, DirecTV gets to continue to offer its signature product.

Without paying the billions it is now for it. A master stroke by DirecTV management.
No. A customer with streaming issues would contact Amazon and/or their interweb provider.
Or their congressman. Or some crusading consumer affairs TV reporter.

Remember a few years ago when some NFLN game turned out to be actually good? People opened their yaps about it and it became a viral thing and the NFL backed off and put it up on NBC.

That, IMHO, is what we are heading for here. As the streaming glitches, crashes, etc. those people complain. And as there are many millions who simply cannot get it in the first place, those people complain as well. Any then the chattering class has something new to worry about and thus run their yaps about.

And, in a few weeks the NFL will make a feed available for at least DirecTV, if not Dish and cable.

Sam, don't let the rich old people with super fast internet get you down. You are 100% right in your posts. ST on streaming will be an absolute disaster. Some people are such streaming fanboys that they can't see how backwards it is.

Sam, don't let the rich old people with super fast internet get you down. You are 100% right in your posts. ST on streaming will be an absolute disaster. Some people are such streaming fanboys that they can't see how backwards it is.
I think this post is meant as Sarcasm, not sure.

Am I understanding that if Amazon gets the package, they will make their own feeds of the games, not show the CBS/Fox feeds? What on earth is the point of that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.