DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Am I understanding that if Amazon gets the package, they will make their own feeds of the games, not show the CBS/Fox feeds? What on earth is the point of that?
Run their own commercials would be the main reason, then paying that over 2 billion would seem to be a bargain.

• Haha
Reactions: SamCdbs
Not for 2 million subs expecting network quality feeds but end up with the walmart version
Have you not seen a NFL game on Prime, it is better looking then OTA with the 1080P and DD+ sound, it should looked even better this year since they ( Amazon) are using their own Cameras ( rumored to be 4K Cameras then down-converted to 1080P for broadcast).

Hopefully next year ( season ) they go full 4K, not that up-converted 1080P picture Fox puts out for some broadcasts.

I think this post is meant as Sarcasm, not sure.
VERY much not sarcasm. Streaming is at least 1 step backwards as a primary form of TV viewing. The way it's set up, the inability to skip commercials, inability to pause live events.... Streaming also has too many spinning circles and the picture downgrades from HD/4K to worse than Directv SD and then back all the time.

I don't care about how many people are switching to streaming. Doesn't make it good. People have those Alexa things and those are definitely not good.

Have you not seen a NFL game on Prime, it is better looking then OTA with the 1080P and DD+ sound, it should looked even better this year since they ( Amazon) are using their own Cameras ( rumored to be 4K Cameras then down-converted to 1080P for broadcast).

Hopefully next year ( season ) they go full 4K, not that up-converted 1080P picture Fox puts out for some broadcasts.
How about the announcers? Camera shots?... i can see them producing 1 game with help from NFL Network but it would be waaaaaaaay waaay waay too expensive to redo the whole sunday slate...it wont happen..just plain common sense tells us that

VERY much not sarcasm. Streaming is at least 1 step backwards as a primary form of TV viewing. The way it's set up, the inability to skip commercials, inability to pause live events....
I can do all those things with You Tube TV, which would be a fair comparison to DirecTV.

Also the majority of channels in 1080P/Dolby Digital+.
Streaming also has too many spinning circles and the picture downgrades from HD/4K to worse than Directv SD and then back all the time.
You either need Comcast to check your lines or you need faster service ( no idea what you have now).

I had Comcast Broadband back in Michigan ( left 2 years ago), never a issue, now have Charter in Florida, also never a issue.
I don't care about how many people are switching to streaming. Doesn't make it good. People have those Alexa things and those are definitely not good.
Everyone is different, I love the fact you can just click on something and watch, also the much better quality then Traditional Providers, then the fact all the Newer/Better Content is on Streaming Services instead of Live TV Channels.

And Alexa is great for communicating, I remember during the 2 months getting the new house ready before the move, I would say drop in on Michigan Living Room to talk to my wife and she could the same in reverse while I was in Florida.

Also good in the new house, have 4000 sq feet, good in case she needed me or the kids when they were living here.

Now, not so much, unless I want to communicate with the dogs.

How about the announcers? Camera shots?... i can see them producing 1 game with help from NFL Network but it would be waaaaaaaay waaay waay too expensive to redo the whole sunday slate...it wont happen..just plain common sense tells us that
While I agree it would cost some money and be a pain at first, how much are they looking at taking in selling their own commercials, could be worth it.

This actually makes sense, specially paying over 2 billion, Advertisers pay a lot of money to run Commercials during NFL Games, cannot fast forward and a dedicated audience (Males) basically forced to watch Beer and ED Commercials.

ST on streaming will be exactly what it is now. You will get games produced by CBS or Fox, with all of the national commercials. The only thing the streamer can use is the two minutes per hour where local stations insert local commercials.

The idea that there is any significant income from selling commercials in this manner does not work out. If you do the math, which I did upthread, you see that.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
While I agree it would cost some money and be a pain at first, how much are they looking at taking in selling their own commercials, could be worth it.

This actually makes sense, specially paying over 2 billion, Advertisers pay a lot of money to run Commercials during NFL Games, cannot fast forward and a dedicated audience (Males) basically forced to watch Beer and ED Commercials.
It doesn't...advertisers pay the networks millions if dollars...directv got very little...I think this idea is almost as goofy as the 10 million subs to sunday ticket one...look up how much it costs the networks to produce a single football game

It doesn't...advertisers pay the networks millions if dollars...directv got very little...I think this idea is almost as goofy as the 10 million subs to sunday ticket one...look up how much it costs the networks to produce a single football game
DirecTV did not get to run their own commercials.

Why is this idea so wacky, first off, contracts can change, what is ok for DirecTV might not
be ok for Amazon/Apple.

You guys have been going on and on they are going to lose money on ST, you are presented with something that could make them money on the deal and you still dismiss it.

And to think that Amazon and Apple, two of the most successful companies around, cannot figure out how to do Live Broadcasts (which both are doing now already) is ludicrous, they can, at least, hire the right people.

I remember when Fox first got the NFL contract ( the Married with Children days), they figured it out from scratch, why not Amazon/Apple, who would have a lot more resources due to technology they have today vs what Fox had in 1994.

Reactions: meStevo
They are NOT going to make money on a cash basis on this.

They are NOT going to produce a separate feed of the games and sell commercials. They are going to simply stream the CBS or Fox production.

Really that simple.

Reactions: Juan
Am I understanding that if Amazon gets the package, they will make their own feeds of the games, not show the CBS/Fox feeds? What on earth is the point of that?

If anyone is claiming that they are 100% wrong. The networks have the sole contract to produce the games. NFLST is an agreement to expand distribution of them outside their markets.

The networks reserve a 1-2 minutes per hour of commercial for the local affiliates to insert ads, that's where you see ads for your area Ford dealership. Directv inserted their own ads in those spots, Apple or Amazon would be able to insert their own ads in those spots instead.

CBS & Fox's national ads will remain, the NFLST rights holder can't touch them.

Yes they did/do. Why do clueless people keep posting utterly incorrect claims despite being corrected?
Only when it was time for a local spot.

And I did not put this idea in the forum, this person did-

As I predicted in this thread, College Sports ( Football and Basketball) are starting the move to streaming off Traditional TV because of the money being offered.

As I said, live sports were primary only on Traditional TV and one of the big reasons why people still had a Live TV subscription, now another reason why you will not soon need it.

I also wrote in this thread that ESPN will start to have trouble with rights fees ( which always goes up) and the reduced money they are taking in because of the loss of 30 million households ( and increasing) per sub fees.

Here is evidence of that-

NBCUniversal and its Peacock streaming service will see the biggest change to their schedule, with the Comcast subsidiary announcing that it will “become the exclusive home of Big Ten Saturday Night football” starting in 2023. Peacock will also get an extra eight Big Ten football games each season.

CBS and Fox will split the rest of Saturday football, with Fox keeping the noon game and CBS (with its Paramount+ service) taking over the mid-afternoon game. ESPN, meanwhile, will end a 40-year streak of carrying Big Ten football games.

The deal also covers Big Ten men’s basketball games, plus a smaller slate of women’s basketball games.

Why is the Big Ten doing this, well I can give you 7 billion reasons.

Again, I give it 3-5 years before all sports will be on streaming services, a lot of it exclusive.

Last edited:
From what that contract says, you will be able to get these games via streaming, all you Streamers are Loving that, aren't you ...

What you guys FAILED to point out is the Fact that they will STILL be on Traditional TV at the same time ...

Personally, I have No Problem with them being on both platforms ....

Anyone can take a guess and say that they will be Streaming only in X amount of years .... thats like me saying that your Bill will be going up in the next 5 years.

This is a WIN for Traditional TV ...

From what that contract says, you will be able to get these games via streaming, all you Streamers are Loving that, aren't you ...

What you guys FAILED to point out is the Fact that they will STILL be on Traditional TV at the same time ...

Personally, I have No Problem with them being on both platforms ....

Anyone can take a guess and say that they will be Streaming only in X amount of years .... thats like me saying that your Bill will be going up in the next 5 years.

This is a WIN for Traditional TV ...
You must of missed this part-

Peacock will also get an extra eight Big Ten football games each season.

As in only on Peacock.

Status
Please reply by conversation.