DIRECTV unlikely to keep NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Population, not Households.

From Google-An estimated 60 million people, or one-in-five residents (17.9% of the total U.S. population), live in Rural America.

Average size of a Household is 2.51, so that makes it 24 Million Households, which makes it even less people get Satellite TV in those areas.
What do you call rural?...there are alot of small towns with crappy internet

Reactions: AZ.
What do you call rural?...there are alot of small towns with crappy internet
Well, I have this device, it is called a ipad, go to this thing called google, typed in questions about Rural Populations, you would never believe it, the darn thing gave me answers.

Who would of thunk it.

Well, I have this device, it is called a ipad, go to this thing called google, typed in questions about Rural Populations, you would never believe it, the darn thing gave me answers.

Who would of thunk it.
Umm you didn't answer the question..what google thinks is rural and what rural people think is rural are 2 different things

Umm you didn't answer the question..what google thinks is rural and what rural people think is rural are 2 different things
Go ask them then.

You made statement about rural viewers
And I answered it, you are the one who posted this down the rabbit hole question-
what google thinks is rural and what rural people think is rural are 2 different things
Go ask Google and rural people yourself, I am not playing.

Yeah, but if all cable subscribers and sat subscribers move to streaming, can the internet sellers systems handle the load. I get a certain amount of gbps now and then pay more or get throttled down. Plus once they have exclusive customers again. How much will internet price rise?

Yeah, but if all cable subscribers and sat subscribers move to streaming, can the internet sellers systems handle the load. I get a certain amount of gbps now and then pay more or get throttled down.
Not everyone has the same broadband as you, mine is unlimited, never gets throttled down.

Networks are improving and by the time everything switches to streaming only ( 8-10 years at the most), everything should be ready.
Plus once they have exclusive customers again. How much will internet price rise?
Everything goes up every year, noticed you have Dish in your signature, they have had 3 price increases in 2 years.

What would bring the price down is competition, but today’s providers do not seem to be expanding their territories.

Not everyone has the same broadband as you, mine is unlimited, never gets throttled down.

Networks are improving and by the time everything switches to streaming only ( 8-10 years at the most), everything should be ready.

Everything goes up every year, noticed you have Dish in your signature, they have had 3 price increases in 2 years.

What would bring the price down is competition, but today’s providers do not seem to be expanding their territories.
So what we have is the great digital divide that 5g was supposed to solve but fell woefully short..i highly doubt the issue will be solved in 10 years...just too expensive to lay that much fiber

Reactions: SamCdbs
So what we have is the great digital divide that 5g was supposed to solve but fell woefully short..i highly doubt the issue will be solved in 10 years...just too expensive to lay that much fiber
If we made it a priority like we did with electric, phones it probably would have been darn close to completed....No one cares anymore in infrastructure and planning for the future! See that costs money, It's that bad.

If we made it a priority like we did with electric, phones it probably would have been darn close to completed....No one cares anymore in infrastructure and planning for the future! See that costs money, It's that bad.
Its just not as revoloutionary as electricity or telephones...its seen as a nice to have rather than a utility..ccan you live without electricity or a telephone of some sort..not easily..internet is not a neccisity for most at this time

Reactions: SamCdbs
Its just not as revoloutionary as electricity or telephones...its seen as a nice to have rather than a utility..ccan you live without electricity or a telephone of some sort..not easily..internet is not a neccisity for most at this time

Not sure about you, but I use my “phone” mostly for the internet. Maybe I need to get a social life?

Well “good broadband in rural areas” is subjective… my mom lives in an area with no cell service and no real broadband options (Centurylink offered me a 1.5 meg T1 line for like $700 a month 15 years ago). Since I was a kid, I was always trying to get better internet there — Started with a Diamond Shotgun Modem like 25 years ago and got 40-60k using two phone lines, then one-way DirecPC for 400k, then once I had moved out and it became available, set her up with WildBlue for 1-2 megs but awful ping times, and around 10 years ago that became Excede now ViaSat for around ~12ish megs (usually more like 8-10) with the same 600 ms pings…

After nearly 2 years waiting on Starlink, got that out there — and aside from setting it up in the middle of a cow field with a fence around it so they won’t use it as a scratching post — she gets around 20-50 megs down, 10-15 up and ping times that are unseen out there — in fact it’s so good that WiFi calling works on our phones and I can now go out there with modern connectivity.

That said — even Starlink isn’t the most ideal solution — and if CenturyLink ever gets even halfway reasonable 10+ meg DSL out there (right now there’s nothing except the insanely expensive T1) I’d drop the Starlink… we had to put it in her field, cow-proof it, trench the cable, run conduit — and it cost about $1500 to install once that was all done, and $110 per month which is similar to what I pay Comcast for ~500 megs and unlimited data… it’s “relative” compared to a $700 per month T1 with 1/15th the bandwidth….

All of that to say… how many people in the sticks with similar situations want to watch Sunday Ticket, and how many people will go through these lengths to fix it? For all I know next year CenturyLink might use some kind of rural broadband funds to run fiber down her little 5 house dead-end road… but I’ve heard this for 25+ years… so I gambled that she (and whoever else lives out there after her) will probably be relying on Starlink for a long, long time.

This is why the “move to streaming” seems so far out to me — either Apple will do a deal to allow truly rural people (and those with demonstrated broadband availability under 5-10 megs — people 3 miles closer to town than my mom get 1-3 meg DSL from CenturyLink — that won’t cut it either) do pass-through on DirecTV or Dish for a long time to come;… or they have calculated the revenue isn’t worth it and some people will be angry regardless.

N

This is why the “move to streaming” seems so far out to me — either Apple will do a deal to allow truly rural people (and those with demonstrated broadband availability under 5-10 megs — people 3 miles closer to town than my mom get 1-3 meg DSL from CenturyLink — that won’t cut it either) do pass-through on DirecTV or Dish for a long time to come;… or they have calculated the revenue isn’t worth it and some people will be angry regardless.
Their is no way that will work, how would DirecTV know how fast anyone’s broadband is?

Math shows us there are just not that many rural customers to even do such a deal, not worth it.

Also, as I have pointed out before, I live in a rural area, but I do have broadband, it was expanded here in 2018, before that was Century Link with 3 down / 1 up.

Their is no way that will work, how would DirecTV know how fast anyone’s broadband is?

Math shows us there are just not that many rural customers to even do such a deal, not worth it.

Also, as I have pointed out before, I live in a rural area, but I do have broadband, it was expanded here in 2018, before that was Century Link with 3 down / 1 up.
Only 250k...thats 75 million in sunday ticket subs...somebody will care

Status
Please reply by conversation.