DirecTV's Plans for 2006/2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Stargazer said:
I can't get either link to work. When I click on the Longhornxp link it uses up all of my system resources. I have 512 MB of memory so I don't know why it would not be able to handle it. I have most of my system resources before I try to access it each time.
-----------------
Check at adobe.com to see if you have the latest ver. of Adobe reader...
I think the latest version(7.0.7) came out in Jan....I had the same problem until
I got the later version........:)

dragon002 said:
vurbano,

read the chart, it is an estimation of dish's capacity, nothing more.

at this time it is showing dish as having almost 50, where are they??

go ahead vurbano, call up dish and tell them you want to subscribe and you want 50 channels of true hd, and you want it NOW.

put up or get to steppin'.

The way I see the chard E* should have about 30 HD stations right now. Today they have 24 (I think). Not to far off. From the chart they should not hit the 50 number until sometime in the second half of 2006.

IMO VoOm failed not because its HD channels offering but it was the fact that as a New company they serious charged too much for the equipment!! Plus they didn't have a convincing SD lineup. I for one was about to switch to VoOm from D* but didn't because at the time rumors of a shutdown was floating around. The point is VoOm had a great idea that was at the wrong time and marketing didn't do their job! People want things that has good quality for a cheap price but VoOm failed on the later and their last minute effort was a little too late!

One thing I can say for D*, is they don't use RF cable to feed a second TV set, from a single receiver. My brother in law has one of those type E* receivers and his PQ is horrible. I tried everything to help him improve his PQ. We put new connectors on the ends of the RF cable, that didn't help, so we ran a new cable and the PQ was still no better.

The PQ on the RF cable fed TV, is full of pixilation, when it goes to a black scene, the TV screen is full of gray boxes, instead of being solid black. When watching TV, and viewing dark scenes the PQ is really bad. I told him to call E* and have them come over and remove that receiver and replace it with 2 individual ones, like D* does.

Very poor engineering by todays standards, to use anything less than A/V outputs to feed anything.

lou_do said:
One thing I can say for D*, is they don't use RF cable to feed a second TV set, from a single receiver. My brother in law has one of those type E* receivers and his PQ is horrible. I tried everything to help him improve his PQ. We put new connectors on the ends of the RF cable, that didn't help, so we ran a new cable and the PQ was still no better.

The PQ on the RF cable fed TV, is full of pixilation, when it goes to a black scene, the TV screen is full of gray boxes, instead of being solid black. When watching TV, and viewing dark scenes the PQ is really bad. I told him to call E* and have them come over and remove that receiver and replace it with 2 individual ones, like D* does.

Very poor engineering by todays standards, to use anything less than A/V outputs to feed anything.

That is why I would always ask E* for a receiver on each TV. When I called about pricing for a potential switch they tired to talk me into that but I did not like that idea at all. The major issue I had was they stated that they had a DVR fee for every DVR that you have. I currently have 3 D* DVR's and would not pay the fee three times.

dragon002 said:
lou,

they will stone you now, oh god a single IRD for the whole house is the way to go!!!!

In theory, it is a great idea, but if you are concerned with PQ, it doesn't look very good.

lou,

that is not my concern, biggest drawback?? the thing dies, you are without service till it is fixed. think cable,,,in an ice storm.

multiple irds, one goes out , you can always move one around. and watch tv

was there diplexors used? Rg59 does not help if used. if diplexors were used, get rid of them and run 2 lines straight to the unit and and 1 line out to second tv. Now that would be a total 3 lines down that wall or the exterior wall. that would take care of PQ. In theory it was a good idea for diplexors to be used for customers who dont want to pay for that wall fish of extra lines. But you do sacrifies PQ. But if you must use diplexor`s get a good quality one`s , that may also help the PQ

stevo/65 said:
was there diplexors used?
No, he isn't using any diplexers to combine any OTA signals with his E* signal, he gets his locals via E* Dish. I know that it helps to get rid of them, I had them on my D* system. When I ran two wires instead of 1, I had a substantial PQ increase.

stevo/65 said:
Rg59 does not help if used.
Not sure about the original cable, but the new one we ran between the receiver and the second TV, was RG6.

stevo/65 said:
if diplexors were used, get rid of them and run 2 lines straight to the unit and and 1 line out to second TV. Now that would be a total 3 lines down that wall or the exterior wall. that would take care of PQ. In theory it was a good idea for diplexors to be used for customers who don't want to pay for that wall fish of extra lines. But you do sacrifies PQ. But if you must use diplexor`s get a good quality one`s , that may also help the PQ
I am not quite sure I know what you mean. I could be wrong, but I think there was only one Satellite antenna input on the receiver, if that is what you mean, by running two lines straight to the unit. Do you mean run two lines from the Satellite dish to the receiver?

What is DirecTv going to do upconvert the SD channels to HD until more original HD content become available? I didn't think there was nearly that much HD content available today. Also are they going to charge extra for that HD content or are they going to just make it to where you get the HD version of the SD feed for no extra fee except the cost of the hardware?

I got the latest version of Acrobat which is 7.0.7 and it tries to open it up in the browser. I dont have that issue when I download them (such as when I'm downloading them from email or from Dish Retailer website).

Update: I right clicked on Scott's link and selected Save Target As and chose my desktop as my destination as I do with other Adobe files I download and its now downloading using the Leechget 2004 program that I have. It says that this server does not support resuming downloads though so once I start I have to make sure it can finish without interruption.

Last edited:
Stargazer said:
What is DirecTv going to do upconvert the SD channels to HD until more original HD content become available?

I think based on the non existant PQ some would argue they are already doing that.

Will one of the moderators please close this pissing match? Thank you.

I've moved most of the useless threads to a more appropriate place :)

Seriously, guys - can't we all just get along? Both big DBS companies are in a growth mode, which is good for everyone. Let's enjoy the ride...

stevo/65 said:
The difference in sub volume in my opinion is because of the NFL Ticket(smartest move on direc`s part) to get that contract. ...... By the way i am a directv cust because of the NFL ticket.
I think the dirrence in sub volume is because D* had a couple of years on E*. Since the late 90's E* has probably added more subs than D*. Plus D* got a boost from the P* purchase.

I am a D* customer for ST and TiVo.

Edit: Total subs for:

D*

1994 320,000
1995 1,200,000
1996 2,300,000
1997 3,301,000
1998 4,458,000
1999 6,679,000
2000 9,554,000
2001 10,218,000
2002 11,181,000
2003 12,290,000
2004 13,000,000
2005 15,000,000

E*

1995 20,000
1996 100,000
1997 250,000
1998 500,000
1999 1,000,000
2000 2,000,000
2001 4,000,000
2002 9,000,000
2004 10,000,000
2005 11,000,000
2006 12,000,000

WOW! I knew E* had caught up some, but in 2000, D* had almost 5x more subs.

Last edited:
stevo/65 said:
What i think will be cool is that one line from the Lnb to the recievers. just like cable and there splitter.
Of course, after I have run at least 3 runs of 1694 to every TV location.:eek:

Smthkd said:
IMO VoOm failed not because its HD channels offering but it was the fact that as a New company they serious charged too much for the equipment!! Plus they didn't have a convincing SD lineup.
V* didn't need an SD lineup. They should have positioned themselves as an add-on provider and priced the service accordingly. And a working DVR would have helped.

I forgot all about the Primestar purchase which also helped DirecTv gain a number of subscribers. Dish Network did gain a number of subscribers then from those Primestar subscribers but DirecTv gained most of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

To wait for new hd dvr, or not?

DirecTV pixilation problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)