Dish 622 Receiver

varcieri

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Hi _ i just got a small Samsung 19" flat panel for Xmas for my kitchen, running on tv2, and discovered that tv 2 is in std def only. My hubby wants to know if there is a way to split the hd signal, and why if one is watching the tv in only the tv 1 mode, isn't it in HD? (on the 2nd tv) Any sugguestions or others who have had this problem? And, why doesn't dish offer two hdtv outputs on a dual receiver:(? Surely, there are alot of people who have more than one HDTV???

I suppose it is possible to split the signal but you would need a splitter for whatever cable you are using. After the splitter, one cable goes to the main tv and the second cable goes to the other one. Both tvs would have to watch the same thing though. I don't remember seeing a splitter for HDMI or Componant but there might be one out there. The hard part will be running the cable to the kitchen tv.
The TV2 out from the box is only SD, you can't change that. One reason they don't offer the second port to be HD is probably because HD signals would need long HDMI or Componant runs to get to the second TV. You could always upgrade to a two reciever system and put another box in the kitchen if you have the room.
We do the same thing, but with the TV2 signal. Ours is sent with coax to a splitter then more coax to 2 tvs. Picture still looks just as good but the 2 tvs on the second signal have to watch the same thing.

This question is along the lines of the OP's....

I have a 622 running HDMI out to my main tv, and then obviously it sends an SD signal thru my coax to another TV in the house. I too just got a new HDTV that I want to put in another room. Can I run component out to this new TV and get HD thru it and still get SD on TV2 as well as getting my HDMI output on my main TV? Sorry to hijac k the thread, but I have essentially the same question.

Don't have the 622 yet so not sure but I think it is set up to detect which cable is plugged in and only use one of the outputs. You could try and see if it works, bring your new tv into the same room to test. If it doesn't work then you would need a splitter on the HDMI or component cable leaving the box, I don't even know if they exist. Go to monoprice.com to get long runs of cables for really cheap. But again, the two tvs using the TV1 signal would have to watch the same thing. And the TV1 remote is IR only AFAIK, so you would need a repeater. Or just set the channel and then go to the other room.
Or you could check on getting another receiver. They have deals sometimes or might even give you another free.

Here's the answer to some of your questions. TV2 does not output HD. There are no dual HD output Dish receivers.
The 622/722 WILL output HDMI and Component simultaneously. But, by doing so, you essentially have two TV1's. TV2 will be a mirror of TV1.

All outputs are active on both the 622 and 722 models. You can run HDMI to one tv and Component to another and have the HD signal go to both tv's but you have to watch the same program at the same time. HD programs can be sent to secondary tv's via composite and coax but they are not viewed at an HD resolution.

Thanks for the replies. So if I want this new HDTV to display HD if I run compenent to it, it will display whatever is on TV1, which I understand. But, will my SD TV2 in my bedroom (hooked up thru coax) still be able to independtly view whatever channel it wants, like it does now?

Yes. All outputs are active at the same time. No HD over coax to TV2 due to copyright protection.

Long component cables will work. Many have done this. Don't forget the audio runs.

Thanks for the replies. So if I want this new HDTV to display HD if I run compenent to it, it will display whatever is on TV1, which I understand. But, will my SD TV2 in my bedroom (hooked up thru coax) still be able to independtly view whatever channel it wants, like it does now?
Yes.

okay - so here's another question - instead of buying another dish receiver for the kitchen, what about getting a multimedia computer with a tv tuner in it for the kitchen? Are there any hd computers out there?

Actually now I have a question. The TV2 is SD only but does that mean I can't watch HD channels or that they will be down sampled when I watch them?

Thanks for the answer. As for the computer question, an HD computer is just a med to high level computer with an HD tuner. You can get them from custom computer makers or if your computer is a good one you can just buy the HD tuner. You might need an HDCP graphics card and monitor to watch the full HD signals.

After looking at the logistics of running component from the 622 into the wall then up thru the attic then back down to my kitchen, I decided for the time being to forego doing this. I will just have to settle with SD on my new kitchen LCD since I do not want to hassle with running the component cables. Anyways, can I use a splitter to split the signal running from the 622 thru my coax to TV2 (bedroom TV) so I will be able to atleast watch the same thing in my kitchen as TV2 is watching in the bedroom?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts