Dish 811 Audio Video input jacks

Threv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
I am getting the the 811 receiver soon and as was looking over the back panel pics I saw that it has 2 sets of video input jacks? Can those be used to monitor an external source, (Xbox or Media center PC etc), in a split screen or PiP.

Threv said:
I am getting the the 811 receiver soon and as was looking over the back panel pics I saw that it has 2 sets of video input jacks? Can those be used to monitor an external source, (Xbox or Media center PC etc), in a split screen or PiP.

I tried them back when I first got my 811 (14 months ago) and they didn't work very well. I think I hooked a vcr up but the PQ was very degraded. Seems like fixing them was supposed to be on a future software upgrade and we've had a few since then but I don't know if they work any better. Maybe someone else can shed more light.

I use the inputs for my Xbox and Game Cube, I like them both, however, you can't look at them using split screen or PIP. There is nothing wrong with the inputs, some people don't like them however, for playing games they do just fine.

Threv said:

Those are for inputs from a VCR or DVD. Using these allows the 811 to upconvert yout VCR/DVD to output what you have set in the menu, ie, 1080i x 16:9.

I've never used them as my TV will upconvert. Upconverting a DVD looks pretty good. Upconverting analog TV or a VCR not so good, depending on the quality of the source signal/tape.

As said, you can run another piece of gear into those inputs, then on your EPG you can select that input like a channel and watch or play. I found the picture to be just alright. I compared a DVD playing through those inputs to a direct connection and it was night and day, to me anyway.

They fixed the software some time back so it is now as good as it is going to get. Rather poor for watching a DVD. A VHS tape provides a mixed bag. Through the DVI connection it's disappointing; however, through the s-video connection it is as good as it gets with this source format, at least on a fixed pixel display.

Thanks for the info, I don't need the extra inputs if the PQ on thenm is that bad, my Amp and TV have better inputs so I'll use those.

How do I get the free dish?

5 Degrees of 500 for Vooming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)