DISH and Sinclair extend contract talks (Update 8/25 Stations Removed)

Dish just lots my aunt as a customer after 17 years she is tired of all the disputes and losing channels etc. and is switching over to DirecTV and they will be out Saturday to install her stuff! :)

Does anyone think that Sinclair pulled the channels too soon, if they waited to September and pulled them, they would have a lot more power over Dish because of the start of the Fall Season and Football.

This is another good reason to have an OTA module attached to your DVR. I have OTA timers set for our favorite ABC channel in the St Louis DMA. My wife would be highly upset if she missed Celebrity Wife Swap tonite! :coco

I suspect that you will miss it if the guide data is not there for the OTA station.

This is another good reason to have an OTA module attached to your DVR. I have OTA timers set for our favorite ABC channel in the St Louis DMA. My wife would be highly upset if she missed Celebrity Wife Swap tonite! :coco

I agree, but I lost KGAN CBS and I cannot get it with an antenna even with an amplifier on it over my OTA adapter. I can get ABC and NBC but not KFXA or KGAN. Kind of a pain in the a$$

OK, I'll say it... they don't really have one aside from just getting more eyeballs on their product. So, are you willing to answer my question? :cool::oldwink
Simple, Consumerism. People mostly want their local channel, not an import. While negotiations take place, an import is a fine solution, but eventually they want their locals back. Dish wants to make consumers feel like they want to give them more money. Offering their local station will give them satisfaction without costing to much. Besides, I don't think any of the MvPDs would want to be put back in the situation they are in now, if the FCC changed the ruling.

Of course, that doesn't answer my issue which is what motivation does an MVPD have to negotiate in good faith if they're allowed to import other markets?

Agree with that, but..... For one thing, it isn't so much they can import them, it's the process the local has to go through in that scenario to stop it. Instead of it being instantly remedied by the FCC in stopping the import, it would now take longer. In the end the Provider will lose, in the meantime the full power is tilted a little for awhile from the local. So if the local does not want to be off too long while subscribers still get to watch the programming, and they are losing ad revenue, they may negotiate in better faith. Meanwhile the import only lasts so long so the provider has to be negotiating in good faith too.

Second, the FCC especially if the change is passed, is signalling they are not going to allow the consumer to be without programming every time a contract comes up, and may change the rules altogether.

Simple, Consumerism. People mostly want their local channel, not an import. While negotiations take place, an import is a fine solution, but eventually they want their locals back. Dish wants to make consumers feel like they want to give them more money. Offering their local station will give them satisfaction without costing to much. Besides, I don't think any of the MvPDs would want to be put back in the situation they are in now, if the FCC changed the ruling.

I don't agree. There are lots of people with Directv that take distance channels over locals. These folks never come back to locals

Dish just lots my aunt as a customer after 17 years she is tired of all the disputes and losing channels etc. and is switching over to DirecTV and they will be out Saturday to install her stuff! :)
They could be off DirecTV or any other cable provider in the not too distant future.

Agree with that, but..... For one thing, it isn't so much they can import them, it's the process the local has to go through in that scenario to stop it. Instead of it being instantly remedied by the FCC in stopping the import, it would now take longer. In the end the Provider will lose, in the meantime the full power is tilted a little for awhile from the local. So if the local does not want to be off too long while subscribers still get to watch the programming, and they are losing ad revenue, they may negotiate in better faith. Meanwhile the import only lasts so long so the provider has to be negotiating in good faith too.

Second, the FCC especially if the change is passed, is signalling they are not going to allow the consumer to be without programming every time a contract comes up, and may change the rules altogether.
I don't know a good way to have a good "balance of power" in these negotiations. What I wish the FCC would come out with is instead of saying you can/can't import, dictate how much MVPD's would pay to locals based on ratings. For example, let's say a local station averages 5 points over the week (or month). The FCC says "you get .10/ratings point/subscriber". So Dish et al pays that station .50/subscriber/month. Then there's NO negotiation and there's never a chance of a blackout. If a MVPD carries a subchannel, again you look at ratings. Maybe the subchannel averages .5. The MVPD then pays the local a nickel a month/subscriber in addition.

Yes, I know the local broadcasters (or at least their owners) probably wouldn't go for that. I can dream though.

I would honestly rather near complete deregulation, and if they both want to operate as profit businesses, allow them to do what they need to do. If they want carried on Dish rather than have an imported station, then produce prices and product that Dish customers would be willing to pay(as far as Dish or any MvPD claims). You don't see anyone telling Walmart they HAVE to sell produce grown and sold locally, but they choose to do it as there is a demand for it.

Just received a chain letter from the Dish Executive Customer service about the Sinclair issue. I replied with questions about Cadillac Telecasting and Heritage Broadcasting

FCC calls emergency meeting of Dish, Sinclair to resolve blackout
Aug 26 2015, 14:09 ET | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

The FCC has called an emergency meeting to address a channel blackout on Dish Network (NASDAQ:DISH) of stations owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group (SBGI -0.5%), the result of an ongoing carriage fight.
It's no small disruption this time, as 129 local stations in 79 different markets are affected. Sinclair is the largest local broadcaster in the country.
Though the two averted a midnight deadline Aug. 15 with a short-term peace, stations went dark yesterday afternoon. Dish has accused Sinclair of negotiating in bad faith, and that the key fight is over terms for an unidentified channel that Sinclair "hopes to acquire, but does not even own today."
For its part, Sinclair said it is willing to negotiate so long as Dish "was not simply asserting take it or leave it positions."
"We will not stand idly by while millions of consumers in 79 markets across the country are being denied access to local programming," FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said. "The commission will always act within the scope of its authority if it emerges that improper conduct is preventing a commercial resolution of the dispute."

http://seekingalpha.com/news/274720...-dish-sinclair-to-resolve-blackout#email_link

Filling in at the front desk today getting calls every few minutes. Luckily everyone has been cordial and understanding when I tell them that I have DISH and let them know about adapters for antennae. I even made a flow chart for others fielding calls.
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1440613408.221463.jpg

Reactions: osu1991 and ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)