DISH and Sinclair extend contract talks (Update 8/25 Stations Removed)

This article states: "In a statement, Dish said it had come to terms with Sinclair on fees to carry its TV stations but the broadcaster was holding out to try to leverage distribution for a cable channel it does not yet own. Dish declined to provide details, but Sinclair has expressed interest in starting its own cable network focused on high school and college sports" http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sincl...rom-dish-network-20150825-00977#ixzz3jvLULWGe

So all of this because Sinclair wants to start s new channel focusing on high schools and college sports and Dish won't commit to that? Of course not, the channel does not exist, and hanging a speculative network over Dish and negotiations is sure to go nowhere. I think Sinclair is flat wrong here.
Looks like Fox News all over again. The parent company using channels as bargaining chips for channels not part of the contract being renegotiated.

Such B.S. not only did they pull the Peoria ABC, but they pulled the program guide for the OTA version of it, and the OTA version of the Decatur ABC which I also receive. I get the contract dispute, but do not think they should be able to pull the OTA guide info. Somehow, the local NBC, which is also in the same group of companies survived.

I voiced my concern about the program guide to both the DIRT Team and to another contact I have at Dish. Not about losing the channel (I get the dispute, and don't blame Dish), but about losing the OTA program guide. That is b.s.
You're wasting your breathe or time. Dish didn't purposely pull the guide data - they simply copy the satellite channel's guide data to the -01 channel.

Let us know if any of them blame the loss of OTA guide data on the station, "they are the ones who provide the data", etc, etc.

Reactions: osu1991
My parents won't be waiting long to switch to Charter if this isn't fixed. They need a rooftop antenna to get this OTA and they aren't going to pay to have one installed.

Not only that but TiVo is currently running a sale for $50 Tivo Roamios and $250 lifetime service so it's a good time to switch. They like my TiVo setup on Charter and could save about $60 per month with a double play and get more channels since they have been out of contract and paying full price for Dish for the last 4 or 5 years.

Just got a call from my Dad asking why they don't have Fox anymore. He doesn't care what the reasoning is or who is at fault. He just wants to watch TV. He told me that if it isn't back by Wednesday, September 9th he is going to cancel and schedule an install with Charter. He's not going to miss the Lions NFL regular season opener on September 13th.

Just got a call from my Dad asking why they don't have Fox anymore. He doesn't care what the reasoning is or who is at fault. He just wants to watch TV. He told me that if it isn't back by Wednesday, September 9th he is going to cancel and schedule an install with Charter. He's not going to miss the Lions NFL regular season opener on September 13th.

I would be surprised if it went that long. Sinclair broke the law by requiring a contract for channels they currently do not own. By the way the Lions will win that game

Reactions: satjay
Tom Wheeler of the FCC is looking to change the law allowing imports while negations are going on
Tom Wheeler is pissing into the wind.

Even if the gubmint allowed it, the whole concept of franchises would be gutted and I can't imagine the NAB would stand for that.

I would be surprised if it went that long. Sinclair broke the law by requiring a contract for channels they currently do not own. By the way the Lions will win that game

I think it will be resolved before then too. There are too many markets affected to let this drag out for months.

You're wasting your breathe or time. Dish didn't purposely pull the guide data - they simply copy the satellite channel's guide data to the -01 channel.

Let us know if any of them blame the loss of OTA guide data on the station, "they are the ones who provide the data", etc, etc.

It is a simple fix, and never a bad thing to let them know what you feel. It took a grand total of 2 minutes to do. :)

In northern Michigan people are dropping Dish big time. Directv and antenna sales are out of control Over 150 calls by 9:30

Well in Minneapolis apparently they dont care. CW23 Spacebook site has 2 comments. One worrying about a show in October ;)

I thought that guide data came form a third party. I must be incorrect.

Tom Wheeler of the FCC is looking to change the law allowing imports while negations are going on
Of course, that doesn't answer my issue which is what motivation does an MVPD have to negotiate in good faith if they're allowed to import other markets?

So all of this because Sinclair wants to start s new channel focusing on high schools and college sports and Dish won't commit to that? Of course not, the channel does not exist, and hanging a speculative network over Dish and negotiations is sure to go nowhere.
The "network" actually started last year. American Sports Network. It wasn't a dedicated channel per se but the games were produced under that marketing and Sinclair stations had the option to carry them.

Except Dish does have the option of utilizing PSIP data (provided free with the OTA signal) for those subscribers who CAN get reception, but they refuse to.

IIRC, the guide data does come from a 3rd party. The locals submit their schedule to that company. I'm drawing a blank on the name right now. But the guide data is also available OTA. Granted, not 7 days worth, maybe only one, but it would still allow timers to function. Dish won't utilize it because... ?? I find it hard to believe Dish is "working for the consumer" when they hamstring subscribers.

Reactions: Jim S.
I haven't seen anyone post about credits so I'll post what I was able to get my parents. I wasn't rude and didn't demand anything or threaten to cancel. I simply told them that my dad is a big Lions fan and doesn't want to miss his NFL games on Fox.

The CSR offered half off multisport for NFL Redzone for 6 months and a $5 credit for 6 months to offset the increase that multi-sport would add. I'm sure I could have haggled with the guy for a better offer but he was helpful and came up with a pretty good solution so i didn't bother. This means he will only be paying $1.50 for Redzone.

Obviously this isn't as good as being able to watch the entire game but at least Redzone will show all the most important plays. Not only that but there is a good chance the channel will be back before the first game so we will get both. We add Redzone for NFL season every year anyways so this was a no brainer.

Well in Minneapolis apparently they dont care. CW23 Spacebook site has 2 comments. One worrying about a show in October ;)

I think that would be the case here But Dish has contract issues with CBS, NBC and Fox. Not sure why ABC is on since Sinclair owns them as well

It comes from Tribune. But if Dish carries the local on satellite they (usually) map it to the OTA station. So if the local is pulled, then dish also pulls the guide info for OTA (which IMO is wrong)

This is another good reason to have an OTA module attached to your DVR. I have OTA timers set for our favorite ABC channel in the St Louis DMA. My wife would be highly upset if she missed Celebrity Wife Swap tonite! :coco

Reactions: sam_gordon
Okay, My question is the complaint to the FCC from Dish.
What is that going to do?

Just from what I've seen in the past, Unless the FCC can benifit from a complaint being financial , I never notice they do squat except piss off customers and providers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts