DISH / Blockbuster Announcement Discussion Thread!

Hmmm. They need to update the programming page to movie pass 1, 2 or 3 at $10, $15 and $20. Would make it a lot easier. Maybe the DIRT folks can look into this and tell us what to do.

wase4711 said:
anyone who signed up with dish top 200 in the last month, supposedly includes 3 months of platinum "free", able to get blockbuster to show up on their 722?
I assumed I would get my 3 months of platinum free converted to blockbuster automatically, but, it not happening..

suggestions anyone?

thanks!

I have platinum free for a year and BB is nowhere to be found in My Account.

Does anyone know if the will start streaming movies from Blockbuster or is it only streaming from the premium channels? Thanks for any help :)

Ghpr13 found this information for you. Looks like you can link your membership then call dish customer service to add your second disc. I also seen something mentioning options online under My Programming Ala Carte to add additional discs but no option was available yet to the end user.

From DishNetwork.com Blockbuster Movie Pass FAQ.
You can rent as many discs as you like, depending on your membership plan. Blockbuster Movie Pass offers plans with 1, 2, or 3 rentals at a time. Simply add rentals to your Queue and we'll mail them right to you.

Your plan also includes in-store exchanges, so you can exchange your by-mail rentals for free movie rentals or non-new release game rentals at participating Blockbuster stores. Note: Franchise terms may vary. See your local Blockbuster store for more details.
To upgrade from the 1 Disc Plan to a 2 or 3 Disc Plan, please call 800-333-DISH(3474).

ohioankev,
Thank you for that info! That was indeed very helpful and reduces my stress level! :D That's good to know and I think I'll wait till a little later in the day, then proceed with merging the 2 accounts.
Thanks again,
Ghpr13:)

What the deal with the 722 updates? I see Blockbuster Movie Pass on 2 of my 722s. Figures, the one that's networked still shows Platinum.
Shows I have L677, but menu 3 still shows Platinum.

** Ended up with advanced tech support in online chat. They sent another authorization signal to my 722, had me hard power cycle. I can now see
BB Movie Pass in the DVR menu.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the will start streaming movies from Blockbuster or is it only streaming from the premium channels? Thanks for any help :)
I was under the impression that some streaming would include BB content. I think that was implied. I don't see anything on the 722k with BB content, it is "just" Platinum content. That would be a bit disappointing, but still having disc in the mail content for "free" is a nice addition.

I just checked my 722K and it now has the Moviepass listed. However, it still shows 3087 available like it did last night when it was labeled HD Platinum.

That is what I thought. All I see for streaming is premium channels. They made it seem like the streaming would be better than Netflix. Hopefully BB streaming would be added soon.

I have platinum free for a year and BB is nowhere to be found in My Account.

Looks like everybody who has Platinum for free has to pay $10 more if we want movie pass . I don't see why we should we be penalized for taking a freebie

That is what I thought. All I see for streaming is premium channels. They made it seem like the streaming would be better than Netflix. Hopefully BB streaming would be added soon.
Yes it the same pattern i have seen in my two years with dish .
over hyped announcements , a product that is clunky and two or three years behind the technology of every one else .
Its too bad a properly working plan like this would be a very good reason to have dish and it would have saved some money for me but unless they improve it not much use for me

I'm having a great time trying to increase my plan back to two at a time (or maybe 3 at a time) Am I correct that It's basically Dish Plat. & 1 Disc at a time for $10 then each additional disc is $5. Right now i'm getting the run around, the faq says to call dish (1-800-333-3474) and when I did that they told me to call blockbuster and gave me the number.

Here is the information that blockbuster 877# gave to me
That on Oct 3rd(my billing date) I would be billed $0.00 because billing will be handled by dish network this contradicts the information supplied by me five minutes earlier by Dish Networks 800# which told me since I already had a blockbuster account I would be billed by blockbuster after I explained that I linked my blockbuster account with dish network.

Also blockbuster 877# was not able to upgrade my queue for me. Dish network has to handle that option. (Yeah duh! the FAQ says call Dish Network Customer Service .. heh. Typical Dish Network runaround.)

Just going to wait on the DIRT team for clearer answers since I don't have to fear a repercussion from Blockbuster.com about having the second disc at my house with only a one at a time plan. (Blockbuster 877# clarified that for me)

Last edited:
I'm having a great time trying to increase my plan back to two at a time (or maybe 3 at a time) Am I correct that It's basically Dish Plat. & 1 Disc at a time for $10 then each additional disc is $5. Right now i'm getting the run around, the faq says to call dish (1-800-333-3474) and when I did that they told me to call blockbuster and gave me the number.

You are correct, and Id just wait for the DIRT group to respond. No movies will ship till Monday anyways.

Well, I'm confused about this streaming stuff. I see movie pass on my 722 but, there movies under that menu that say they cost money to watch. So, where do we find this Netflix like service because Netflix has never tried to charge me to watch some movies.

I was hopping for a completely separate menu interface for this movie pass thing, mixing it in with the current PPV on-demand stuff seems like a really dumb idea.

Yes it the same pattern i have seen in my two years with dish .
over hyped announcements , a product that is clunky and two or three years behind the technology of every one else .
Its too bad a properly working plan like this would be a very good reason to have dish and it would have saved some money for me but unless they improve it not much use for me

Lets just hope that it's just growing pains right now and they need to short out some bugs for the merging to be complete. After all it's not even been 24hrs. But I do agree that if Dish had plans to make this offer with BB, they should have tried their best to have everything operational, and a smooth merger of the two. That part does get frustrating.

Ghpr13:(

Basically, adding movies will be updated to the website soon. As we all know, from channel adds to package changes, Dish is never up early in the morning to get things going at the crack of dawn. I'm going to check this afternoon about adding a second disc. Also, I just dropped Netflix to the streaming only package, and I'll be saving $10/month having two discs with the Movie Pass and Netflix streaming than I did with just Netflix streaming + 2 Blu-Ray discs at a time. Thanks Dish for changing the Platinum package to Movie Pass, and switching all the subs over automatically.

Still no BBMP on my 722k. Under Dish Platinum, the only "channels" to filter on are:
  • Encore
  • Epix
  • HDNet
  • HDNet Movies
  • MGM HD
  • MoviePlex
  • Pixl
  • Sony Movie Channel
  • Starz
  • Sundance

If you have the Block Buster Movie Pass, do you see more? I was thinking that with this deal we might see more options available.

Tested streaming of one of the Starz movies in HD. Quality looked pretty good. Starz is playing Tron tonight on their normal channel, and I see it is in the Platinum area as well. So I'll record both and see how the quality compares. My 722 is connected to the internet via a 801.11N router with a 271 Mbps 5GHz connection to my main router which is connected to the internet via a cable internet bridge and a cable connection that is "up to 12Mbps". If I remember, I'll watch the router status next time I stream something to see what it is using for bandwidth.

I thought you could sort by FREE after the update?

You can, but the only "Free Stuff" is basically all the Dish Platinum (now labeled Blockbuster Movie Pass) & TV Show content. All the blockbuster movie pass is to any dish subscriber who had the PlatinumHD package is a physical disc rental medium.

When the kinks are worked out it will be great for me. I was a Platinum subscriber paying $10 a month, and a blockbuster.com subscriber on the 2 disc at a time dvd plan $14.99, it looks like I could save $5 once the kinks are worked out and get 3 discs out at a time.

On top of that I can just not join Qwikster saving me more $$ while keeping my netflix streaming account.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)