Dish & BTN offers major game this week

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Many of the arguments posed against E* ponying up to pay for the Big Ten Network were based upon the BTN offering only 2nd and 3rd tier games. Well look what is being exclusively carried by the BTN this week .... Wisconsin at Ohio State.

Cable companies not offering the BTN, like Charter in Madison, WI, are definitely going to feel the heat this week. I wonder if E* and D* will drop some targeted ads into Badgers and Buckeyes markets this week.

Speaking of this, the writers at the Dayton Daily News continue to write little snippets about how "fans can't watch OSU" because Time Warner doesn't carry BTN.... I've started to fire off e-mails to them but then change my mind. Let them live in ignorance. They may have mentioned it in a story I missed, but they seem to not realize that DirecTV and Dish exist and carry BTN.

Same has happened in mid-Michigan. I heard on a couple of morning shows this past week that unless you have dish you might not be able to see the Michigan / Michigan St. game. It was announced this morning that the game would be on ABC but there would have been a major rumble since Com* isn't carrying BTN.

I have also heard similar reports on the radio that would indicate that many people do not realize they can get BTN with E* or D*.

Many of the arguments posed against E* ponying up to pay for the Big Ten Network were based upon the BTN offering only 2nd and 3rd tier games. Well look what is being exclusively carried by the BTN this week .... Wisconsin at Ohio State.

Yep, I think a lot of the anti-BTN people were using the fluffy non-conference games to degrade the network. I don't think they realized that some of the 2nd or 3rd tier conference games would be pretty attractive.

Another point: this 2nd and 3rd tier stuff does NOT apply to basketball. As far as I understand it the BTN will have a number of 1st tier bball games this season.

More fuel for the fire.

Nice to see BTN is now going to carry some of our Big Ten Schools hockey games, even though there isn't Officially "Big Ten" Hockey.....

NCAA Hockey Games on the Big Ten Network

Nov. 23 College Hockey Showcase: Wisconsin at Michigan TBD
Nov. 24 College Hockey Showcase: Wisconsin at Michigan State
Nov. 24 College Hockey Showcase: Minnesota at Michigan TBD
Jan. 4 Colorado College at Wisconsin 8 p.m. (live)
Jan. 11 St. Cloud State at Minnesota 8 p.m. (live)
Jan. 18 Michigan State vs. Ohio State 7 p.m. (live)
Jan. 25 Game to be determined
Feb. 1 Nebraska-Omaha at Michigan, 8 p.m. (live)
Feb. 8 Minnesota at Denver 9:30 p.m. (live)
Feb. 15 Northern Michigan at Ohio State 7 p.m. (live)
Feb. 22 Wisconsin at Minnesota 8 p.m. (live)
Feb. 29 Ferris State at Michigan 7:30 p.m. (live)

Nice to see BTN is now going to carry some of our Big Ten Schools hockey games, even though there isn't Officially "Big Ten" Hockey.....

NCAA Hockey Games on the Big Ten Network

Nov. 23 College Hockey Showcase: Wisconsin at Michigan TBD
Nov. 24 College Hockey Showcase: Wisconsin at Michigan State
Nov. 24 College Hockey Showcase: Minnesota at Michigan TBD
Jan. 4 Colorado College at Wisconsin 8 p.m. (live)
Jan. 11 St. Cloud State at Minnesota 8 p.m. (live)
Jan. 18 Michigan State vs. Ohio State 7 p.m. (live)
Jan. 25 Game to be determined
Feb. 1 Nebraska-Omaha at Michigan, 8 p.m. (live)
Feb. 8 Minnesota at Denver 9:30 p.m. (live)
Feb. 15 Northern Michigan at Ohio State 7 p.m. (live)
Feb. 22 Wisconsin at Minnesota 8 p.m. (live)
Feb. 29 Ferris State at Michigan 7:30 p.m. (live)
Gotta admit the BTN is putting-out quality football coverage...and now Hockey! Add wrestling and get the BTN on more cable systems and this is America's Channel. I don't know of a single D*/E* subscriber with heartbeat that doesn't love this channel.;)

You've made your point Slamminc11, you don't like the channel. There's no need to hang around bashing other's posts.

You've made your point Slamminc11, you don't like the channel. There's no need to hang around bashing other's posts.

I never said I didn't like it, all I said was that there was nothing compelling on it for me, and thus no reason for me to tune in.
Then the next post insinuates that anyone with a heartbeat loves this channel and is about to be the only channel anyone needs to watch. So, either I am dead (and apparently a lot of other people are) because we don't have heartbeats or his statement is in error. I can appreciate his enthusiasm, but claiming that everyone... come on!
Neither post was a bash. One was a statement and the other was a question. A bash would have been for post 1) "this channel completely sucks and anyone who watches it is an idiot!" Which I did not say or even insinuate. And for the second post if I were going to bash would have been personal toward the poster which again I didn't do nor insinuate.
Oh yeah, and as far as your "suggestion" about where I should and should or should not hang out... I believe I can hang around and post anywhere I please, or am I wrong in that assumption?

I never said I didn't like it, all I said was that there was nothing compelling on it for me, and thus no reason for me to tune in.

So there's nothing compelling on it for you and no reason for you to tune in but you're not saying you don't like the channel. Cool, thanks for letting everyone in the thread know. We can all sleep better tonight.

So there's nothing compelling on it for you and no reason for you to tune in but you're not saying you don't like the channel. Cool, thanks for letting everyone in the thread know. We can all sleep better tonight.

I didn't know there were rules about having to watch a channel in order to like it or not. Thank god you are around to police it for people. Don't know what we would do without you!
Geez, if you want to get into a pissing match that's fine, but really. Though I am glad you are going to sleep better tonite. My week is now complete and it is only Monday! :rolleyes:

Yes and those games are gobbled up by FSN

doesn't matter. FSN has the Bucky/Goofer game late in the year that BTN shows. BTN doesn't have the exclusive rights to hockey games so FSN North, FSN WIsco or My14 in Madison can show the games too.. A couple years ago the NoDak/Goofer game was carried by FSN North, FSSN (Fighting Sioux Sports Network) and CSTV ;)

doesn't matter. FSN has the Bucky/Goofer game late in the year that BTN shows. BTN doesn't have the exclusive rights to hockey games so FSN North, FSN WIsco or My14 in Madison can show the games too.. A couple years ago the NoDak/Goofer game was carried by FSN North, FSSN (Fighting Sioux Sports Network) and CSTV ;)
oh I just thought BTN would be exclusive like their football games, I get all the Sioux games on FSSN

I wouldnt be too sure on that FSN showing the games that B10 is showing... I think FSN is showing one of the games and B10 is showing the other game.

Don't quote me on that, but i think thats what i saw in perusing a gopher schedule last month.

**Edit**

I just confirmed that the Friday game is on B10, and the Sat game is on FSN/CSTV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts