Dish Earning Conf Call Monday 8/4/08

IT was a summory... He was talking about having one and wanting to have one, with tivo as its important for them to have a relationship no matter what. It sounded like he was sending an olive branch to tivo.

Well thats it folks for the Confrence call. No new real news. Charlie did say that the loss did warrent him being at the calls today. So the real news is how long will it take for charlie to wake up and realize what he needs to do in order to win back the market.

I'm still positive on Dish. I think this is a short term slump. They'll recover and move on. Gotta remember the positives with the negatives.

And I for one, am eager to buy a "Pocket Dish" under any brand that will let me offload programming from my DVR at high speed and take it with me on the road to watch. In HD, of course. I don't see that feature coming to anyone before Dish.

I completely agree with GoalieBob; Dish never did get to agree to terms to have the MLB package, then they have yet to add channels such as FX and Spike in HD due to internal or external reasons . . . if memory serves me correctly, plenty of people on here said I would not go if a, b and/or c happens and they gave it some time. When it never happened, they left; who can blame them?

Dish, Charlie or whomever needs to settle their legal issues and (not saying it is Dish's or his fault) and begin to look at what customers want rather than just guessing? World Fishing Network? Chiller SD replacing Monsters HD; please, customers are smarter today then they were 20 years ago plus they now have options!

Options = Subscriber Loss!

Was I the only screaming at Charlie on the phone whenever he was saying some stuff that you knew was totally bogus? :)

I wonder if the confrence call operators can hear all those groans. :D

I completely agree with GoalieBob; Dish never did get to agree to terms to have the MLB package, then they have yet to add channels such as FX and Spike in HD due to internal or external reasons . . . if memory serves me correctly, plenty of people on here said I would not go if a, b and/or c happens and they gave it some time. When it never happened, they left; who can blame them?

Dish, Charlie or whomever needs to settle their legal issues and (not saying it is Dish's or his fault) and begin to look at what customers want rather than just guessing? World Fishing Network? Chiller SD replacing Monsters HD; please, customers are smarter today then they were 20 years ago plus they now have options!

Options = Subscriber Loss!

Good post. I do not think he cares much for what customers want. WFN is a prime example. Who requested that. We have it because it was very cheap. Many seem to want Speedhd. Where the heck is that?

Yep.. Scott, you werent the only one. What charlie really needs to do is higher a few bums like us and let us turn his buisness around. The only way it would work is if he lets us get the channels that we know everyone will want.

Charlie thinks that all the people that steal his service would ante up if they had to? That doesn't add up to me - they will only go and steal something else.

NOT TO GET THIS IN A PIRATE TV DISCUSSION

But let's face the fact Dish Network's signal has been pirated at least the last 7 years.

I can't see customers who because of the "resession" decided to go out and pony up $200 for special equipment to watch TV for free.

I just don't see it.

Also from what I have read the hacking is not just plug in a box and watch, its a lot of on going work to get it to work and continue to work, not something for most people who just want to watch television.

Charlie should have just came out and said "It was a terrible quarter for us, a lot of stuff happened which dragged us down. We had the failure of AMC14 which many in the press played like it was a deathblow to Dish Network. We unfortunately had to get rid of VOOM which got us more bad press and this frivilous Tivo lawsuit has been dragging our name through the mud."

Dont give me this "its the recession and hacking" BS.

Last week, when I brought up questions as to why DISH is viewed negatively right now - the consensus seemed to be that last year Charlie may have been distracted by the AT&T takeover talk - that this seemed to put everything on hold.

If so, they are only paying the price for that right now it seems.

It's easy to be an armchair quarterback! Everyone always thinks that they can run a business better than someone else. But, its just not that simple. Charlie is going to do what is economically sound for his business. If that means not adding HD as quickly as it becomes available and not raising rates to go along with it, then so be it. He started Dish from the ground up and built it into a multi-billion dollar company. He didn't have companies backing him, unlike Directv or AT&T. Those 2 have limitless assets which to draw upon. A loss in 1 division of their company, could easily be covered by a profit in another. A business will always lose customers. ALWAYS! But, when a business fails to gain customers, growth, that's when you should become worried. That's not happening here.

Now, having said that. There are some things that Dish could do to keep current subs, like knock out the nickel and dime fees. A dvr fee is stupid. The charge for not having a phone line connected is moronic. And with the addition of more HD, the SD packages should decrease in price. Also, it would help to focus more attention on getting HD locals available to the most markets in the fastest time. This would help stop subs from jumping ship to Directv when they offer the locals in HD. Offering HD locals to cities where Directv does not, is a good way to get new subs, but a poor way to keep existing subs. And stop the BS with the term"soon" in response to any asked question. Give more time appropriate dates.

"Getting down off my soapbox now!":)

Thanks Apoplogist and again, you name another channel people want; give the customers what they want . . . and don't try to hide behind we are trying to save customers money . . . if that was the case, Direct would cost customers over $200

DISH's management said in a regulatory filing that it is focused on improving customer service and other operations, as well as launching new high-definition services. But it cautioned these could come at a cost.
"Given the increasingly competitive nature of our industry, it may not be possible to reduce churn without significantly increasing our spending on customer retention incentives, which would have a negative effect on our earnings and free cash flow," the company's filing said.

Our ability to maintain to grow our subscriber base will be adversely affected if we do not enter into a new agreement with AT&T," said DISH management in the filing.

Dah it seemed Dish forgot about Customer Service because it cost too much and now Dish has to spend money on Custmer Service.

Why is dish spending the DO RA Money now, well it looks like the free ride from AT&T is over.

I sure do hope this means more Customer Service Centers in the USA and more training for the CSR REPS.

There is another big problem that was not talked about on the call which is a big problem for Dish Network currently...

THEY DONT HAVE ANY EQUIPMENT - Many of the warehouses are EMPTY.

I know many retailers having to turn away new customers or new customers getting mad because they can't get installed because there is a major shortage of satellite receivers and switches.

Many retailers are reporting this problem at DishRetailer

Also one thing Charlie did say was that the new Echostar 11 satellite would be in operation by the end of the month and when its put into operation they will expand their HD offerings again at that time. :)

Its a great year for HD fans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)